1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recharging TRD air filter

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by memario1214, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Aug 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 [OP] Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I have a strong gut feeling that my TRD intake is in need of a recharge. My question is can I use K&N recharge kit to recharge my intake? I have the kit from an intake that was purchased for an Excursion Diesel. I just don't really know what's up when it comes to intake recharges. Someone set me straight

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    WVTacoma08

WVTacoma08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD PRO Super White
    Yes...works jsut fine. In fact my dealership told me to go purchase the K&N recharger kit as toyota is no longer making. I believe that K&N actually made the TRD filters for toyota

3. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 [OP] Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. +1

4. Mar 9, 2017 at 7:37 AM
    Scribbles

Scribbles Well-Known Member

Member:
    LoUiSiAna
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 PreRunner
    None yet
    Sorry to gravedig, but can anyone tell me after cleaning the TRD filter, how long you let it dry before putting the new oil on it?
    Youtube said about an hour, and my Dad has the K&N filter for his truck and he said you have to let it dry a whole day.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks

5. Mar 9, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    I would offer the following advice when using the K&N recharge kit:

1. Remove filter from vehicle, use shop vac to gently clean off any large debris and dust.
    2. Spray down the filter media with the K&N cleaning solution (both inside and out), let sit for 5 minutes.
    3. Use warm water and rinse the filter, but only in the direction opposite of typical airflow. This usually means you will rinse it out from inside out. A kitchen sink sprayer makes this easy.
    4. Let filter air dry completely. If you let it dry overnight next to a small fan, then it'll be completely dry in the morning. Alternatively, set it outside on a warm windy day.
    5. Now you need to re-oil it. Most people tend to over-oil their rechargeable filters, and this ends up coating the MAF sensor or IAT sensor, rendering them useless. Instead, set down some cardboard in a indoor location (garage, enclosed patio, etc), put the filter in the middle of it, and spray the filter on the OUTSIDE only with the spray bottle from 2-3 feet away. The goal here is to let the oil gently mist down onto it. Just because you can't see splotches of red oil on the media doesn't mean there isn't oil there.
    6. The last step is optional but highly recommended. You are going to "pre-draw" the oil through the media to suck away any excess and to distribute it evenly throughout. To do this, get some plastic grocery bags and wrap up the "outside" part of the filter (where the air would normally flow in). Use a shop vac on the "inside" part of the filter to draw air in. The bag is going to restrict flow, but this means you'll be drawing the oil through it, as well as catching any excess. Just run the shop vac hose across the inside of the filter slowly.. going in one direction at first, then going back over in a different direction.

And then you're done. Filter should be clean and re-oiled, but not excessively oiled enough to cause sensor problems.

6. Mar 9, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    Scribbles

Member:
    LoUiSiAna
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 PreRunner
    None yet
    Thanks.
    Just in case, (Murphy's Law) I over oiled, what happens when it coats the MAF Sensor and IAT sensor and how would one go about fixing that?

7. Mar 9, 2017 at 10:04 AM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    Go buy this and then remove the sensors and spray them with this. I have never needed to remove the sensors in the Tacoma, so I can't say how easy that would be...

[​IMG]

Scribbles[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 9, 2017 at 10:07 AM
    Scribbles

Member:
    LoUiSiAna
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 PreRunner
    None yet
    Awesome, thanks again

9. Mar 9, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    I install an OE paper filter, follow advice above (except number 6) - I let the filter air dry for a few of days, oil, then let it sit for a couple more days, then reinstall.

10. Mar 9, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    pyankura

pyankura Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD SPORT QUICKSAND
    I don't like K&N filters for a simple reason. They flow too good.....thank you!

Products Discussed in

To Top