1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau cover, which one is best.

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Tigahshark, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    Fire Taco Fighter

Fire Taco Fighter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    trd
    I have the Lund genesis roll top on my 2011 taco 6ft bed and love it.I had the same brand/model on a previous f-150 w/ no problems at all

Otto

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark [OP] Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Does that one use Velcro or is it a snap type seal?

3. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified
    I have the g4 elite folding cover and a pop'n'lock tailgate lock. I live and work in Los Angeles and can store things in the bed with no one seeing. It leaks very slightly during heavy, heavy rain. Anything on the top of the ridges at the bottom of the bed stays dry.

Finish is 'ok' after almost 3 years. Gets dented and scratched from heavies put on top. Don't open and access with top folded like triangle(see videos of product), it cuts into the rubber gasket and this is where the leaks come from.

Opens good for refridgerator transport, closes good and with 18 gal rubbermaid bins and cargo bars makes two good trunks. One at the front of the bed and one at the tail of the bed.

I recommend it highly for versatility.

4. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I have the Extang Hardfold. Durability of a hard tonneau combined with the convenience to haul tall items.

Note: The tailgate side seams are a source of leaks. Some tonneaus come with strips of seals for that area, some don't. Be sure to install them if you want to make the tonneau waterproof.

BTW, your sig is awesome! Never knew about the web site

[​IMG]

5. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    I also have the Undercover top and love it. Having a black taco it looks awesome. No leaks, fits perfect. Also locks tailgate.... Opens high to carry taller stuff when needed.

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    So i guess the under cover is the type where the cover covers the top of the tail gate? so it acts like a tailgate lock without having to buy a tail gate lock? wow im liking the undercover more and more. kill two birds with 1 stone kinda deal!!!

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^ Keep in mind then you can't open the tailgate without raising the cover.

A Pop N Lock tailgate lock is about $50. I use it together with my hardfold.

8. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    Fire Taco Fighter

Member:
    Vehicle:
    trd

It has velcro down the sides.I really like it alot

Otto

9. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Is it water proof? i shouldnt say water proof but does it keep your stuff dry

10. Aug 22, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Just keep in mind that the Undercover is a pita when you need to haul something. I had one on my last truck, it was great but it seemed like every couple of weeks I needed to haul something that required removing it. It does come off easily, just not by yourself.

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    What about my other question, the one about the bed rug or using some sort of bed divider or that bed extender used backwards. If you get the bed mat does it need the divider stuff, or if you get the divider stuff you wont need the rubber bed mat.

12. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    h2mann

h2mann Active Member

Member:
    Ko'olaupoko, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport PreRunner DC
    Pushbutton start
    I had the dealer install the Roll n Lock tonneau cover when I bought my Tacoma. Its perfect for what I need it for. Its lockable, keeps things dry for the most part, not really waterproof, but good enough. Super easy to take care of, adjustable to pretty much any load I want to carry. Perfect for loading surfboards in the bed without any hassle of taking off the cover. Just open it up to whatever space you need.

13. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:49 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Thats the one that rolls in a small box next to the cab right? if so how is that little box with room in the bed, does it take up a lot of space cause if its the one i think it is it takes up some space, and even more if you have a short bed. But it does look really secure for your personal belongings.

14. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    h2mann

h2mann Active Member

Member:
    Ko'olaupoko, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Pushbutton start
    Yup, thats the one. It does take about a foot from the back of the cab, but the housing that the cover rolls up to only hangs down about 6 inches or so. I do have the shortbed, but it really doesnt take up as much space as you would think. I also like that its lockable, and you cant open the tailgate when the cover is locked so no need worry about tailgate thieves.
    Also having the roof racks installed tomorrow so I can carry my longboards and SUP. Love this truck!

15. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Another question, i always wondered if the box that stores the roll up cover ever collects water inside, especially lets say if you roll up the cover when its raining to get in the bed, is there a drain and if so does it drain into the bed? and i see you SUP you live Hawaii? jus curious

16. Aug 23, 2011 at 12:02 AM
    h2mann

h2mann Active Member

Member:
    Ko'olaupoko, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Pushbutton start
    Not sure about the water, Ive only had the truck for 2 weeks. just washed it tonight with the cover closed, saw water draining down into the bed after I rolled it open. There is a felt-like liner at the mouth of the housing, looks like it brushes most of the water off of the cover.
    Im in Kaneohe. Mostly surf, SUP when no more waves. :)

17. Aug 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    Tigahshark

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Hey man thanks for the info on that cover, definitely something to look into, since you live Hawaii too can i ask where you bought it from and how much you paid, you know us Hawaii guys pay out of our asses when it comes to truck stuff cause of the shipping to Hawaii, so a price that you say i can pretty much tell how much i would have to pay versus having someone from da mainland tell me its this price when realistically its never mainland prices here.

18. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:18 AM
    h2mann

h2mann Active Member

Member:
    Ko'olaupoko, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Pushbutton start
    I went through the dealership when I bought the truck. Could have probably gotten it cheaper online, but Im super busy and dont have time to do all that and hassle with trying to do it myself. Was $1300 for the cover and install. Works for me and Im stoked with it.

19. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:30 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    i own an Undercover and love it.... it secures my tailgate, its light, can install/uninstall in less than 5 minutes, and hard enough to not worry about things getting stolen in the bed (sometimes)

20. Aug 23, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    Fire Taco Fighter

Member:
    Vehicle:
    trd

So far so good........I found it at truckaddons.com for 275 free shipping

Products Discussed in

To Top