1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Pad Suggestions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hops, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mar 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    Hops

Hops [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    south mississippi
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Streak Mica Access Cab 4X4
    Shock and leaf spring TSB, Neoprene seat covers, weathertech digital fit floor mats, vent visors, bug shield, secondary filter removed, K&N drop-in filter, century camper shell, 265/75R16 ATM's...
    I got an 08 Taco access cab and i was wondering if anyone has found better pads than stock. Im looking for more stopping power and less dust. Thanks for any suggestions:D...

2. Mar 18, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I changed my stock pads to Hawk Performance Ceramics.
    Stops great,no noise.
    About 50% less brake dust.

3. Mar 18, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    Not to thread jack, but this also is something I was looking at doing. I want to swap out the pads and also do SS brake lines. I have an 2005 and always thought the brakes were to spongy. What size brake lines do the new Tacos take? I have about a 3" lift and was looking at the 2" extended Goodridge G-Stop brake lines. Any help is appreciated.

4. Mar 19, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    LEEP

LEEP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEE
    CONNECTICUT
    Vehicle:
    O8 TACOMA TRD
    get ceramic pads better than stock go to brakewharehouse.com

5. Apr 9, 2009 at 4:55 AM
    mnerren

mnerren 2006 Tacoma TRD Sport XSP

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab
    I agree on the Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads, you can get them at autoanything.com with free shipping. Anyone upgraded their rotors and have you found any improvement there? I would also suggest changing the brake lines to a stainless steel setup, they will not only look good, but they provide a better pedal feel.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2911A0A0.aspx?kc=affpfx

6. Apr 9, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    This weekend I'm going with Goodridge G-Stop brake lines and Amsoil High Performance Dot 3 to go along with my Hawk Performance Ceramics already installed.
    Should firm up the pedal a bit.

7. Apr 9, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    tonto340

tonto340 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gambrills, MD
    If there is an Autozone near you, get their Duralast pads and never have to buy again. Part # is DGC976 for your truck and cost $59.99 and includes replacement hardware. I have them on my Acura TL and the brakes seem to stop very well and there is no dust.

8. Apr 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    No dust isn't realistic...Opinions are great- facts to support them help even more.

9. Apr 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    AzPrerunner05

AzPrerunner05 Desert Rat

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2005 V-6 SR5 PreRunner Debadged
    De Badged, Flowmaster 50 Muffler & Dual Out Exhaust. K & N High Flow Filter. SP Racing Slotted Rotors
    Good Question. Any one have, or know anyone with, a disc conversion in the rear.
    I've thought about this, a good way to increase stopping power all around. I'm not a big fan of the drums in the rear

10. Apr 9, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yes people have done it, and the net result was a DECREASE in stopping power. The Taco was built with the drum brakes out back so the weight ratings and distribution are predicated on that. You also have to replace the valving/proportioning on the brake system.

Overall- It was not a suggested idea...My search fu is lazy right now or I'd find the thread about it....

11. Apr 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Call Edwin at raceshopper.com. He'll hook you up.

12. Apr 9, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    ^ What he said. The truck stops far worse with the conversion kits there were/are available.

13. Apr 9, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Speak of the debil...

Products Discussed in

To Top