1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanting Additional Gauges, considering options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LoneCynic, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Mar 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    LoneCynic

LoneCynic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    NBM Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road & Towing
    SmittyBuilt Side Steps, DeeZee Bed Mat, TRD Shift Knob, Pop & Lock Tailgate lock, Stantz Locking Gas Cap, Marshall Instruments Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Gauges
    I have a 2013 Access Cab Tacoma with TRD Off Road and Towing packages, 4.0L V6 engine and 6-Speed Manual Transmission. Love the truck, but the only thing I don't like is the lack of an Oil Pressure Gauge and to a lesser extent, lack of Voltmeter Gauge. I would like to add both to my truck, and have spent the past week searching through threads here and across the web for info related to such a project.

It looks like there are various aftermarket options, but in every thread I read through, additional parts and hardware was needed to get the Oil Pressure gauge up and running. I also read about a couple of different ways of going about it too. The problem I had was most of the threads were more than a year or two old and had broken links in them leading to the additional parts needed for such an install.

I've decided if I go aftermarket to get the steering column bracket that allows for two gauges instead of bothering with the A pillar mounting methods. However, I am still wondering if perhaps there is another way to go about this altogether.

After reading some Tundra forums, it seems that they come with gauges I am looking to add. The Tundra, in its most basic configuration, also has the 4.0L V6, correct? So, is there another method that would be doable with all OEM parts? If so, the only issue would be figuring out where to mount the gauge in the Tacoma. Before I even bother with worrying about that, I'm trying to figure out if getting OEM Tundra Gauges and parts to go with the 4.0 would work. Has anyone done anything similar or come up with any good solutions for this? Any and all help, suggestions, advice with links would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Mar 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    LoneCynic

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    SmittyBuilt Side Steps, DeeZee Bed Mat, TRD Shift Knob, Pop & Lock Tailgate lock, Stantz Locking Gas Cap, Marshall Instruments Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Gauges
    Is my thinking that the two trucks sharing an engine might allow for some cross-platform sharing of related gauges and parts a possibility, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

3. Mar 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Get a scanguage or ultraguage and be done.

4. Mar 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    LoneCynic

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    That reads oil pressure? That's the main thing I am after.

5. Mar 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    I don't see oil pressure on the Ultra gauge list - not sure about Scan gauge.

You can always add some Autometer gauges in a pod.

6. Mar 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    LoneCynic

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I appreciate the responses, but please be aware I used the search function first and read up on everything I could before I started a new topic on the subject. I am aware of the aftermarket options and mounting location options. My questions are as follows:

1) If I choose the aftermarket route, what additional pieces/parts do I need to buy to link the gauge to where it reads the pressure? As far as I can tell, it isn't just plug and play with an existing pickup point with the Tacoma.

2) Is there an OEM route I could take by using parts from a Tundra 4.0L to achieve the same goal? If so, I need to locate part numbers for the Tundra gauge and link up point.

Any help from someone else who has done a similar install following one of these two routes would be much appreciated.

7. Mar 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  8. Mar 19, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Buy a sandwich plate adapter with 1/8"NPT hole, screw in Autometer or AEM sending you, run wires to gauge, DONE. If anything, i'll do a wideband and oil pressure.

9. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    kh7nm

kh7nm Stay Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DC 4x4 TX PRO Off Road
    What have you done to your truck lately
    You can pick up a oil pressure gauge from pro sport and they sale the adaptor plate that goes between your oil filter.

image.jpg

10. Mar 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    LoneCynic

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    That thread you posted a link to was one of the ones I had read previously. The OP in that thread said the sandwich plates can leak, and proposed an alternate method of installing the setup. I think that is what I want to try to do if I go the aftermarket route.

What about getting OEM Tundra parts for the 4.0L in that Truck? It has an oil pressure gauge, doesn't it? Wouldn't going OEM if possible be preferable to going aftermarket on something like this? Has anyone ever tried this method? I am highly curious about this idea.

11. Mar 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    You couldn't pay me to run ProSport. I've read while they have fantastic customer service, their products aren't very robust.

Spend the money and get a Defi. I've had 3 BF Link Meters (Oil Pressure, EGT, Boost) for a couple of years now without a hiccup and a Red Racer (Oil Temperature) for about 6 months in my car and had zero issues. I've also run a GReddy Trust sandwich adapter for over 3 years now without a single hiccup/leak. Use quality parts and you'll never have an issue.

OP, if you wanted to run the gauge from the Tundra, I believe you'd need to figure out a way to get the cluster out of a Tundra, separate the circuit board (if connected behind the bezel) from the rest of the gauges and integrate it into the dash of your truck.

[​IMG]

For the amount of work it will take to get the sender and cluster playing nice (assuming they interface outside of the truck...you'll have to find a Tundra FSM and trace the diagrams) buying a standalone gauge is the easier answer.

Honestly, for the amount of work it would take to get that one gauge working, you'd be better off trying to swap the entire Tundra cluster into your truck. This isn't like the old days of running an SR5 cluster swap into a DLX pickup sadly.

12. Mar 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    LoneCynic

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info on the Tundra gauge idea Mikey. That was what I needed to know, if it was possible, or if it was going to be a bigger headache than it was worth. I appreciate the response. Could I bother you for some aftermarket recommendations? I'd like whatever I get to match the stock gauge cluster in aesthetics as much as possible, but I want to get quality parts too and not skimp on whatever I go with.

I am admittedly a noob when it comes to Tacoma and Toyota, so any advice or links to recommendations on aftermarket gauges and parts would be appreciated. My other two vehicles are both Chevrolets, so most of my working amateur knowledge on engines and components is more in that realm. I am reading as much as I can on Toyotas and doing my best to be a fast learner though! Thanks again for the information and help you have provided so far.

13. Mar 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    The problem you're going to run into is where to mount the gauges so they are easily readable and don't look too awful. The A-Pillar is out because of the side airbags, which leaves either above the steering column or in front of the cupholders.

I have a ScanGauge II installed on my column, which is nice and readable, but I do dislike that it blocks my oil pressure idiot light.

Something like this might suit your needs. I personally have no experience with that setup, but it's one of the few I have seen that will fit the column. Anything in front of the cup holders would be custom fab.

As far as gauges are concerned, the holder I showed only holds 52mm gauges and not the larger 60mm ones. This is both good and bad. The good is the 52mm gauges are typically cheaper, the bad being they're smaller.

I personally would recommend the Defi White Racer gauge to match the truck's white interior lighting.

defi_white_racer_gauges_1b42c17cf8c4502ce18e03f7f1ebedc19710883d.jpg

Please note the black trim piece does come off revealing a simple silver gauge surround, which I think looks quite nice and will match the Tacoma interior.

As I said, I run the Red Racer in my car and love it for oil temperature via a Greddy/Trust sandwich plate adapter. The advantage of the Racer series over the 60mm BF Link series is you don't need the control box to run all the gauges, which limits some functionality (peak hold, playback, alarms) but still gives you a high quality gauge. Defi is a sub-brand of Nippon Seiki, who is the OEM supplier for Honda gauge clusters.

It's one of those cases that the gauges are pricey, but they're worth it IMHO. As I said, I've seen many issues with Prosports on Nasioc with people returning them more than once. Customer service was always excellent, but the quality, not so much.

14. Mar 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    LoneCynic

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    Mikey, that exact link you posted is the exact bracket I was planning on going with for my setup. It holds two gauges to the steering column, and two is what I want to add. Oil Pressure and voltmeter I think would be the best two to add to a manual transmission Tacoma. What do you think? I like the looks of the gauges in the picture you posted, I think whose would suit what I am looking for just fine. Do you have a place that you recommend purchasing from? I don't mind paying a little more if the quality is better, as you stated they are. As for the connections under the hood, what do you think of the setup the OP did in this thread: Link

I am leaning towards this so far, it looks like a good setup. Mikey, thanks again for taking the time to give advice on this project. I really do appreciate the help.

15. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    I paid $165 for my temperature gauge last summer from a local tuner shop that was willing to match most online prices. Honestly, any online tuning website with a decent reputation is gonna be fine. That install will work fine, as you're only using adapters rather than a sandwich plate. I've been lucky with my plate and the shop I had do my gauges in my car wanted to run the adapter plate route. It's a great install though.

Voltage isn't a bad one to have, but I'd be tempted to run a transmission temperature gauge. I don't know how that would work with a 52mm gauge.

I wonder if it's a waste to use a gauge just for voltage when you can run something like this for cheap.

I'd argue the ScanGauge II gives you transmission temperature and voltage, and then just run a separate oil temperature gauge if you want the dual pod.

While you can typically extrapolate oil temperature from the pressure gauge, sometimes it's nice to see what is actually going on with the temperature. For example, in my car, cold start idle is somewhere in the 95 psi range, anywhere from 100-115 under 4,000 RPM cold (I never see more than 3,000 if I can help it) and anywhere from 20-30 PSI hot idle. However, there are times when my car will show a 20-30 PSI hot idle, but my oil temperature might be 170-180 F when my typical temperature is 200 F. It's also great to see if/when you're towing if you're really beating up on the motor.

I had only gone with oil temperature at the time because I was adding an AEM UEGO wideband and the only pod I found for my car was a dual gauge setup so I needed a second gauge to house it, but now that I have it, I'm glad I do. I use it just as my as my oil pressure gauge.

Hope this helps.

16. Mar 21, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    LoneCynic

Member:
    Ohio, USA
    Vehicle:
    So, you recommend the Defi gauges, and for choices, you say Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature is the better pair to go with? I understand what you are saying, and I think you may be on the right track for my truck. I do intend to tow a boat with it, so that might be the better pairing. If I go with the install described in that other thread, what do you think of the parts he used for the Pressure sensor install? Is that also a case of paying a little extra for better parts would be best, and if so, what parts would you recommend? You've been a huge help Mikey, and I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me here.

17. Mar 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
  18. Mar 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    Oil pressure and temperature is a good solution for the gauge pod. I'd still recommend a ScanGauge for voltage and transmission temperature.

Like I've said, I can't really comment too much on the install, as I don't have auxiliary gauges on my Taco and I didn't do the install on my car (I didn't feel comfortable on jackstands in my rutted/uneven driveway). My sandwich plate had provisions for two connections, temperature and pressure. The method linked would get you pressure, but not temperature, unless you can find a way to get another adapter in. I would try and find a local shop and/or a more experienced member to help you out on that front.

19. Mar 22, 2013 at 3:41 AM
    Plik

Plik Ragin Cajun

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Click my sig pic for build thread
    Get an ELM 327 wifi or bluetooth Scanner and link it to your smart phone. There are plenty of apps out these days that will display the same information as a ScanGauge. You can also use it to run diagnostics. Total cost is around $15-$40

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  20. Mar 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    An analog voltmeter is only useful to tell if your alternator is supply some voltage above the battery voltage and is not accurate enough to measure the State-of-Charge of the battery. If you need to measure the State-of-Charge of your battery, you will need a digital voltmeter with at least .5% DCV accuracy.

For more information on measuring State-of-Charge, please see Section 4.4 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org.

Products Discussed in

To Top