1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Camping (Double Cab, Short Bed) Questions ...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OmegaQuest, May 12, 2013.

1. May 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    OmegaQuest

OmegaQuest [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited Double Cab 4X4
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    ok here is my question and issues.

I have a 2013 Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed.

I have a wheel chock mount that is permanently attached to the bed (Photo below).

I bought the following bed tent (to sleep me 6'3" tall and my wife 5'9" tall only):
    · Napier Sportz Truck Tent 57099

My issue is I need some sort of air mattress or something that will not be effected by the two metal sides of the wheel chock and wont take up any room in the back of my bed (like large 2x4 or plywood....) when I go to the race track because my bed will be filled with my sportbike, ramp, wheel stands, gas, cooler....

Does anyone have any ideas on a setup for me?

I don’t want a trailer, RTT, shell, or a tent on the ground.... I just want a 2 person bed tent with some sort of air mattress setup that won’t get punctured by the wheel chocks that can NOT be removed while I am at the race tracks I attend on a reg basis.

Thanks

DSC_6201.jpg
    At the Track.jpg
    349657012_BKDPz-L.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. May 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Just saw this on Amazon thought I would share. Other than that I don't have too many ideas for you.

They seem pretty durable.
    [​IMG]

3. May 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    I was looking at those and the other brands, but I feel they would get holes from the wheel chock which has 2 x 2" high steel bars.

4. May 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    I would say get some of like foam tubing and cover up all the sharp stuff. Might save you a headache by just simplifying the issue and covering up all the sharp corners.

[​IMG]

Think simple first. It is cheaper and a lot easier to set up/takedown.

5. May 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    Build a riser jig to put over the slider edges. This can act as a relief for the air mattress and prevent it from getting punctured by the slider rails. Maybe a couple of angled 1x6's on each side and one that goes in the middle of the slider. It would be a raised middle section but if you both sleep on either side of the slider, it shouldn't bother you (much).

6. May 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I like this idea.

I prefer not to build and then carry with me any 2x4's or any other long items but that is a good idea non the less.

7. May 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    How about just camping on the ground next to your truck? lol

8. May 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I want to be off the ground in the bed only

9. May 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    You have to think about not puncturing the floor of the tent as well. That'll be important to you if it rains. Have you thought about a sheet of 2" foam to go under the tent? I don't know how you'd carry it, but styrofoam sheets would work perfectly. That $%^#!! Truckbedz mattress has been on backorder forever. I finally gave up on it and bought a full size inflatable from Wally World.

10. May 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    That wouldnt be a bad idea if I had room to transport it, but also to store it when I'm not going to the track.

I have a large blanket (actually a furniture pad) that I could use to cover the wheel chock, but that wont do a whole lot of protection IMOH

11. May 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    Let's see, it's 39" wheel well to wheel well. So lookin' at your picture that'd be two 2" sheets roughly 15" X 24" each and one 10" X 24"? That's all you'd need if you slept heads toward the cab. That wouldn't be too bad to tuck away somewhere.

12. May 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    I would just build a 2" high floor that fits all around the bed. Then I would cut out for the wheel chocks then make a small insert to fill in the wheel chock area when you want to lay out your tent and sleeping bags. This way you would only have a small piece that needs to be removed to fit your bike in and the rest of the floor can stay where it is.

13. May 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    The added weight of all the wood and stuff plus it would need to be replaced every so often becausde it would be exposed to the elements when the tent is not on it. Not to mention when I load dirt and other stuff I use the truck for...

Good idea though, keep them coming.

14. May 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    There is not going to be a solution that will encompass everything you want. There will be some compromise in this. Use paint to seal it from the elements. It's wood, not that heavy, or use insulation foam board. Take it out when you put dirt in the back.

15. May 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Use the notches in the bed and build up a platform above the chock. Here's mine below, you could modify it so you can sleep on it by making it longer, maybe so the end of the platform is supported by the tailgate. Then you could fit a full sized air mattress on it without risk of anything puncturing it. Plus, the regular air mattresses are cheap and easy to find vs. the truck bed mattresses (and sheets actually fit them). Mine is 2 - 2x6's as cross members and the plywood is 2 pieces so it can be easily taken down and strapped against the bed side so as not to take up much room. I would recommend extending it onto the tailgate since you're so tall.

[​IMG]

16. May 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I have to carry the motorcycle in the middle so I cant carry sheets of plywood and 2x4's with me on my long trips.

17. May 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Strap them against the side of the bed. That's why I said split the piece of plywood so it can be slid to one side and secured, not taking up much of the floor space when not in place. Each strip is only about 2' wide. You could even use 3 plywood strips to keep them smaller but it makes it less stable.

Here's the ultimate solution to your problems :D
    [​IMG]

18. May 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  19. May 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    @Pugga, That would be the ideal route, but I dont have room to store a trailer at the house.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  20. May 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    How often are you actually going to be bed camping? I think it will help stir up ideas if we knew a little more background here. How often are you loading dirt?

You want something that will be a permanent base for an air mattress & tent, not get in the way of the wheel chuck, and be able to haul dirt in it without getting in the way and weather the elements for years?

I cannot think on anything you could put in the bed that would be good for hauling dirt and be a base for a tent without the dirt getting into every single crevices of whatever you come up with. I think no mater what you make you will have to take it out to haul dirt.

I think ntilehman's idea is the best I have seen so far. Seems simple and something you could slide in only when you need it.

Products Discussed in

To Top