1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leveling Kit; Ready Lift or RevTec?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Trail Cat, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Aug 23, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    Trail Cat

Trail Cat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida to NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4
    Bull Bar - TRD Exhaust - Predator Side Steps - Alarm - Anytime On Fog Lights mod - OBD UltraGauge II - LED Dome & Map Lights - LED Aux BackUp Lights - LED DRL - Gate Keeper mod - TRD bed Cup Holder & Bottle Opener - Center Console Lock mod - WeatherTech Mats - Kicker Hideaway - Rear Door Speakers - Spare Tire Extension Valve mod - Tail gate 3rd Brake Light Bar - Proline Wheels - Rear Diff Breather mod (left rear tail light area) - "Florida Tacoma's" sticker - BFG A/T KO2 tires -
    Hello guys,

I’m sure there may be other discussion topics threads on this subject but, I wanted to get the latest updated opinion.

I have a 2013 TRD Sport 4x4 and plan on installing a “Leveling Kit” on it and want TW’s input which brand to use; Ready Lift or RevTec?

I visited one of the Toyota dealerships and they have been installing leveling kits on new 2013 Tacoma’s and are using “Ready Lift”. The 4 Wheel Parts store suggested I use RevTec.

I do plan on adding Dick Cepek DC2 wheels and All Terrain tires also.
    (See Tacoma Garage, Wheels & Tires “Which brand tires with Dick Cepek DC2 wheels”).

What is your Leveling Kit opinion?

2. Aug 23, 2013 at 5:33 AM
    LowerBost

LowerBost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    I just leveled my 2009 last weekend. I used Bilstein 5100 shocks with the stock coils to level it. Set them at 1.75" and it leveled out nicely. Not to mention the ride is much better then the spacers.

3. Aug 23, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    Trail Cat

Member:
    Florida to NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4
    Bull Bar - TRD Exhaust - Predator Side Steps - Alarm - Anytime On Fog Lights mod - OBD UltraGauge II - LED Dome & Map Lights - LED Aux BackUp Lights - LED DRL - Gate Keeper mod - TRD bed Cup Holder & Bottle Opener - Center Console Lock mod - WeatherTech Mats - Kicker Hideaway - Rear Door Speakers - Spare Tire Extension Valve mod - Tail gate 3rd Brake Light Bar - Proline Wheels - Rear Diff Breather mod (left rear tail light area) - "Florida Tacoma's" sticker - BFG A/T KO2 tires -
    But aren't spacers the simplest way and without any real change from the stock setup.
    I want it leveled which should give it a nice look without changing anything from factory stock. Right now I am mainly going for looks and keeping everything to factory standards.

4. Aug 23, 2013 at 5:53 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    Spacers are a harsh ride, go with some KINGS!

:cookiemonster:

5. Aug 23, 2013 at 5:54 AM
    LowerBost

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    Well you have a brand new truck that will ride like a turd with spacers in them. $200 bucks and about 3 hours of your time and you have a great ride and nice looking one to boot. Besides, Bilsteins are already on your stock truck, take a look, just not the adjustable ones that's all.

6. Aug 23, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    $30000 truck and you want to put a spacer leveling kit on it? Like stated above get some 5100's and set them at 1.75" and do your truck some justice. Do it once and do it right.

7. Aug 23, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Bilstein 5100 shocks are an upgraded adjustable version of the Bilstein that come stock on your truck. The Bilstein 5100 shocks are pretty cheap for what you get and are not much more than the spacers.

8. Aug 23, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    5100 would still be like running a spacer, no? you're pre-loading your stock spring...i remember when i had them at 1.75 with stock springs, ride sucked, honestly...both on road and off-road. that's just my experience...but then again, i'm the guy that tried 5100's on eibachs and old man emu and thought the ride sucked.

9. Aug 23, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    LowerBost

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    No issues with my 5100's...Seem to ride better than my last shocks, but It probably didn't hurt to replace my shocks anyways, think they needed them.

7366961f-daf6-46e6-94a4-ecd88cf8844a_zps_497aebfc5f84881cf73ad5907e28d226393bbe77.jpg

10. Aug 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    TheGRIZZ

TheGRIZZ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4, DCLB, SR5
    OME w/885's and Dakar leaf. LR UCA's
    OP, what size "Level" I just installed the 3" pro comp nitro kit. It was easy to install and it came with the front differential drop spacers. The kit was quality and the end stance is very nice looking.

However, at 3" I believe that I have moved my upper control arms to their limit and I think that it is the cause of some Jarring over bumps. I wouldn't say it is a harsh ride as other's claim but it is noticeable.

I have to say that after only two weeks I am already looking at upgrading to an OME kit but that is just me. If you are not wheeling and just want the stance, you should be fine at anything less than 3".

I know that didn't answer your question on specific kit but maybe it could be another option to look at.

11. Aug 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    KayStrait

KayStrait Camburg Girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kayla
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    '98 Desert Dune SR5 4Runner

Check out Camburg's mid travel kits for a 2.5 in lift. We offer a bunch of different options depending on how you want to use your truck and what budget you have.

We have an Entry Level kit that includes our Camburg ball joint UCAs that utilize your stock ball joint and also include the Bilstein 5100s front/rear. This is a perfect kit if you aren't looking to spend too much money, want a little lift and a better ride. This will provide you with 2.5 inches of lift and the wheel travel is stock.
    http://camburg.com/store/05-12-taco/toyota-tacoma-pre4wd-05-12-entry-level-kit/

If you are willing to throw a few bucks in there and upgrade to something with a lot more wheel travel, I would suggest our Camburg 2.5 Performance Kit. This kit comes with our 1.25" uniball UCAs, our Camburg 2.5" coilovers and the Bilstein 5100s. This will provide you with 10.5 inches of wheel travel and about 2.5 inches of lift. Don't forget about the TW discount ;)
    http://camburg.com/store/05-12-taco/toyota-tacoma-05-12-performance-kit/

These are just a few options to check out. Take a peak at our website as well, we just renovated it! And feel free to ask me any questions you have :)

12. Aug 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    Trail Cat

Member:
    Florida to NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4
    I appreciate the response.
    Actually I was at another Toyota dealership today and this one is installing Pro Comp leveling kits on their new 2013 Tacoma's for the show room.
    However, with the other responses I am now looking at Bilstein 5100 it looks like it might be a little bit more stable.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  13. Aug 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Trail Cat

Member:
    Florida to NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4
    The Toyota dealerships I've been to are using leveling kits with about a 2.5 level lift. I probably will go with no more than 2.5 myself.
    However, at this point I am very interested in the Bilstein 5100. I want a simple fix to level it with no changes in the stability, ride and keeping cost down.
    I plan on putting on a set of Dick Cepek DC2 wheels and larger tires. I don't think I'll be doing any wheeling right now (the trucks too new) and I hate to say it but for now it probably be a Mall Crawler.
    Oh well that's kool to ....

14. Aug 24, 2013 at 5:53 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    You don't need or want the front differential drop for the 2nd gen tacomas. It's pointless.

15. Aug 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    TheGRIZZ

TheGRIZZ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4, DCLB, SR5
    You don't need the differential drop? It seemed like everyone was suggesting it. Out of curiosity why are the not needed for 2nd Gen's?

16. Aug 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Do some searching. On the second gen's it doesn't really drop it, just rotates it a little and has really no effect in helping the CV angles.

17. Aug 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    TheGRIZZ

TheGRIZZ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4, DCLB, SR5
    It's funny you say that because when I installed the ones that came with my Nitro kit i was thinking that same thing. It really didn't seen to do much. But mine is already on there so I don't think it is probably necessary to take it off. But that may be a good point for the OP that could save him $30 or so.

18. Aug 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    There are some opinions out there that tilting it can actually do damage to it because some internals that should be in the oil are no longer in the oil. Some disagree though. I just skipped it altogether.

19. Aug 30, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    iceman4226

iceman4226 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Bloomington Ind.
    Vehicle:
    2013 acc cab TRD
    So i'm looking at this option to so is all you do is install the shocks and align or what is all needed and where's the best place to get?

20. Oct 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Do it once, do it right..

Products Discussed in

To Top