1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Input appreciated.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jefes Taco, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Apr 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    Goals in order of priority: Level' truck. Maintain factory ride quality. Support load while towing/loaded. Add a 'little' height for aesthetic value. Improve off road capability.

Platform: 2014 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport. Factory tow package w/ stock 4 leaf rear springs.

Plan:

Front: Bilstein 5100 w/ coils set to .75 maybe next setting up? Not sure if there's 3 or 4 setting w/ the first setting being stock.

Rear: Bilstein 5100 to match the front shock valving. Firestone Airbags to level when loaded. Possibly add Daystar cradle? Not sure if needed or desired? ARB air locker.

I'm considering adding a winch w/ the hidden winch plate as well. Will I need to move the setting on the front Bilsteins for possible sag?

I'd prefer to keep the lift within the limits of dropping the front diff(?) and/or new control arms. I'm not looking to go rock crawling so BIG tires and articulation are not of primary concern. The locker is just for added security when I go too far or too deep as I can have a tendency to do sometimes. ;) I'm always curious about what's around the next turn. But dirt bikes are for the exploring. Just want a capable truck.

2. Apr 18, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Also. I'm assuming if I get the Bilsteins w/ coils that install is much simpler since there's no need to compress the factory spring off the OEM shock and onto the Bilsteins? For this reason alone I'm willing to pay the extra. If there's better coil springs available on the 5100s you can tell me about those. But if the Bilsteins are 'good enough' then I'll likely stick with them.

If I'm wrong about the ease of install w/ preinstalled coil springs then I'm likely going to stick with the factory springs. Unless you peeps convince me otherwise. :)

3. Apr 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    If you want level and better/ stronger coils then get the Eibachs with the Bilsteins. You can pay around $100 extra to have then pre-assemble the coils on the shocks. I feel this is well worth the $ and it'll save on time. The Eibachs on the Bilsteins will net you around 1.6" lift which might be a perfect match to your 4 leaf rear. Plus the EIBACH coils will help the truck to not sag when adding a winch or bumper or skids.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. Apr 21, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
  5. Apr 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM
    ROAD DAWG

ROAD DAWG Well-Known Member

Member:
    birmingham,al
    Vehicle:
    10 trd prerunner
    debadged,procomp 7105 wheels,,kc slimlites,n-fab light bar,predator step bars,baja roof rack and light cage,hella 500 black magic,5100's(f/r) @.85,tsb rear,nitto terra grapplers(265-65-17)
    yo JT,the 5100's are,stock, .85,1.75,2.5 in....at any setting,true lift will be determined by the strength of the spring.eibachs,set at zero on the 5100's should net you the true 1.6 advertised,and could possibly offer the best ride quality(compare stock/eibach spring rates)the eibachs will have a higher rate but in tandem with the 5100's,(at zero)could be just about right....my 10 prerunner sport is at .85 on stock springs,can't complain about the ride and handeling,but i wish i'd gone with the eibachs...they only recommend no higher setting on the 5100's with eibachs at . 85..some guys may have gone higher,but i wouldn't,i'm really not that wild about pre-loading my factory springs...an option might be the "factory trd suspension kit".

Products Discussed in

To Top