1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by krob32, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Feb 27, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    krob32

krob32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Bashe, not sure what happened there. It looks bad, but no prob here so far.

Mike, still water tight on this end as well. Did you use the washers on the front brackets to help secure?

2. Jun 12, 2014 at 12:12 AM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Going on two years and still no leaking. Really beginning to think either I'm lucky with my cover or folks are unsure how to properly install (no more than five minutes).

3. Jun 12, 2014 at 3:43 AM
    ranger71

ranger71 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    I've installed mine in March 2012 on my 2012 Tacoma. It still works like the day I took it out of the box. No leaks, no rattles, just does what it is supposed to do. I'd buy it again.

4. Jun 29, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    fau8823

fau8823 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II
    I like mine, but it's definitely not water tight. In fact, there aren't many people I've talked to that have them that claim it's water tight. It appears mine is leaking from under the bed rail caps toward the front of the bed. When closed with the tailgate open, I can see an ever so slight bit of light coming from that area on both sides. And I did use the washers to secure it.

I just accept that it's not water tight and don't put anything down that will absorb water. No biggie.

5. Jun 29, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Look back on the first page. It shows how to put weather stripping for your issue. Got it free from TruckAlterations. I still don't have leaking.

6. Jun 30, 2014 at 3:08 AM
    fau8823

fau8823 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II
    Thanks, Krob. Yeah, I've put weather stripping all over the place like you have it. Still hasn't stopped the leaking, though it's less than before I put it down. It appears the leak is from water getting under the plastic bed rails and running down into the bed (between the plastic bed rail caps that came with the truck and the sheet metal, not between under the bed cover). So I guess, technically, the bed cover is water tight. That is, if that's where the leak is coming from.

7. Jul 7, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    JimTotem

JimTotem New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DC Longbed
    Backup sensor - love it!
    Was there anything special about the weatherstripping? …Home Depot? I have a Fold-a-Cover (7 years old) and want to replace it. I use my rails & cleats constantly, so most of the hardcover options are unacceptable. The Bakflip looks like a great cover, except for the rail issue. Bakflip has no plans to make a cover with rails still usable - I called them. Thanks for your time.

8. Jul 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Jim, Got the weather stripping from Truck Alterations. No idea what type. Sure it wasn't anything special. Looked at the Bakflip, but very easy to get into with a hangar. As you can see, you can use the rails with the cover on.

9. Aug 11, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    I spent two weeks researching tonneau covers. Good thing is...there are lots of choices.
    I settled on the Extang Solid Fold for a few reasons important to me:
    - easy on, easy off (installing the pop and lock this week)
    - keeps factory rails in use
    - can store this in my garage when needed
    - got a great deal from Tonneaucoversworld.com buy using the chat feature. Just asked them via chat "what's the summer deal"...asked where I lived then took $50 off

Should arrive this week. Thanks for doing the follow up reivew OP...I'll report my results in time.

ETA: arrived with a big puncture wound through the box and one layer of tonneau. Fedex guy left it in front of garage without a signature...guess what asshat...i don't accept shipment and back it went to the local fedex facility. We'll see how the seller responds.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  10. Aug 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Good grief. Several boxes over the last couple of months have been beat up regardless of carrier.

Completed two long multistate trips in last two months. Everything was dry as a bone. MTF.

11. Aug 20, 2014 at 6:22 AM
    jparf

jparf blissfully biased

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver Highlander Limited
    My box was beat up too but not as bad.

Get a refund and go to Truck Alterations. After code 'FOLD149' and you'll get $150 off making it $650 shipped. Look in the middle of the page for the other offers.

http://truckalterations.com/html/extangsf.html

12. Aug 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...

Excellent. You just saved me $100. I canceled my previous order and received the refund on my Visa.

I owe you one!

ETA - I said F'it! went and ordered a new Leer 100XR...I've been a canopy guy for ever. I live in Oregon...= rain. Thanks again for the heads up.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  13. Oct 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    truckalter

truckalter Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Waynesville, NC
    Wow... this thread has hung around for a while...lol

14. Oct 5, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Bought it from you. LOL. Still going strong. Shame they don't add the washers in the front and stripping as part of install. Has worked out very well.

15. Oct 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM
    Skeetdad

Skeetdad Active Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Totally stock 2014
    Don't have a need for the tonneau anymore. We're using the Tacoma as a dirt bike hauler. I have a shortbed Extang trifold...$400, no shipping.

16. Oct 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    flanders1914

flanders1914 New Member

Member:
    Hi :
    I'm new to this site, read these interesting threads. I have a 2014 "access cab", which was good to store my carpenter tools [I'm retired carpenter, but still do side jobs], the jump seats are really no good, unless your a kid. I decided to get a hard folding cover for my table saw or larger items, I needed security and something to keep the weather off. I did a lot of research and decided the G-4 fold-a-cover would met my needs the best it's a little pricey, $820 from the factory, free shipping and no sales tax,I got it in 3 days. I has 4 solid panels with stainless piano hinges, you can open it in the front or back, both of those panels are lockable, if you stack it behind the cab you have 75% the bed instead of 66%. I've driven on the highway with it all stacked no trouble, you have 3 snap straps to secure it. It's only 98% water tight, after a wash and heavy rain only 2 tablespoons of water got in. When you lock the back it also locks the tailgate. no need to buy a $40 plus "pop and lock".
    To remove the cover, just 4 bolts, takes less then 5 minutes, that is something I don't do every day. I'm glad I didn't cheap out with something else, looks good and I have no regrets. Should last as long as my truck.

17. Oct 11, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    BarnyardTaco

BarnyardTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, 4x Innovations Welded Sliders, WeatherTech Liners
    I bought one last month when I bought my Tacoma. Has a really clean appearance, especially on my black truck. I have noticed some water during rain storms and hope the weather stripping can solve that problem for me. I do like the ease of use and security the cover provides though. I bought the manual pop and lock tailgate lock, which has been great as well.

Thanks for the review

18. Oct 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Weather stripping and the washers on the front clamps should fix the issue. I had to work a little to find just the right lay for the stripping to seal. Getting a lot of rain here of late and no issues still. Good luck.

19. Dec 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    Hi I had my cover for 2 years now and only had issue since I got it... its not made for Canadian winter that for sure, the poor foam gasket on the folding part just wont last they absorbe water and then unglue from the cover, also in the last week I had the cover split in half (see picture) it has always leak and the reason is the poor foam gasket (if they where rubber maybe it would last longer) the warranty is horrible I tried to get my exchanged and they told me it was not defective. It might work well for warm weather climate but if your in the north I wouldn't recommended it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Dec 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    similar issue with mine... mine is less then 2 year old... can't find my bill so they wont exchanged it... hope other see this and buy something else, any big manufacturing companies that won't stand behind there product is not deserving of my business or of anyone really.

Products Discussed in

To Top