1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau tri-fold without sacrificing bed rails?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by tacozx6r, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Aug 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    tacozx6r

tacozx6r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've searched and can't find anything that leads me to believe there is such a product. It's only going to be used a small part of the year and so I don't want to interfere with the rail system too much if possible. If anyone has one or has any leads on where to find one, it'd be much appreciated if you could share :)
    Btw it's for a 2014 double cab long bed.

2. Aug 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    Oday450

Oday450 Active Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '07 Speedway Blue Off Road AC; '14 Silver Sky Sport AC
    I've acquired a used Advantage Torza that clamps onto the rails. The rails and cleats are still useable and nothing needs to be removed I. A 6' bed. Easy to put on and take off and reasonably weather resistant. I've been very pleased with it.

3. Aug 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    I am unsure of what you mean "not sacrificing" rails. I have a xtang trifold which does cover the rails when extened, but when folded exposes most of the rail system. For those time I need the whole bed I simply remove the cover using the T handles. It takes about 30 sec to take on or off.

4. Aug 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    Carroll

Carroll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carroll
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB
  5. Aug 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
  6. Aug 21, 2014 at 2:15 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I used to have an Advantage Torzo top tri-fold for 7 years.
    If you start at image #7784 you'll see images of the clamping mechanism, etc.
    It does not interfere with the clamping system. It's a tri-fold that can be folded and/or taken off completey and easily.

http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=16&page=2

After 7 years, the vinyl started wearing thin in spots and developed some holes / cracks. I ordered new vinyl to replace but it was the hardest damn thing to install. So I gave up and gave the whole thing to a buddy.

7. Aug 21, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    Rsoxfan1

Rsoxfan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Extang Trifecta....

8. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    tacozx6r

Member:
    Perfect guys.. that's going to give me more than one option and price range to consider.
    To clarify on sacrificing the rails, I simply mean having to remove them or make alterations that would make them useless when the cover is folded or removed. According to a local shop, the truxedo forces you to choose between it and the rail system the way it's installed. Not going to work for me. I won't be needed to secure anything to them while the cover is down, just when it's folded or removed.
    The Extang is looking pretty promising as a hardtop although there are times I'd like to drive with it folded, so it would be nice to know if that's really going to be an issue.

9. Aug 21, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    x2. I love mine

10. Aug 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    I've driven with it folded before with no issues. I went thru TruckAlterations to buy. Tell them you are on TW for a discount.

11. Aug 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The Advantage torza top allows you to drive with it folded. There are straps that you clip into at the cab to hold the folds closed.

[​IMG]

12. Aug 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    The Trifecta has the same style clips to allow you to fold it open and drive. Never had an issue with mine folded. It also removes VERY easily when you have to haul anything large

13. Aug 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    tacozx6r

Member:
    Does anyone have experience with the Extang Solid Fold or Fold a Cover G4? I like the idea of a hard material for the top. Anything you would describe as a con (wish it had that it doesn't)?

14. Aug 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    Jonah

Jonah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD O/R 4x4
    5100s F&R, TSB leaf springs, N-Fab steps, bed lights
    I love my Fold-A-Cover G4. It's solid, secure (for honest people) and generally watertight. I find it really convenient that it opens from front and back. It can be fastened so no issues with driving with it open. Removal takes just a few minutes if you need to carry large objects.

15. Aug 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    SethB

SethB Well-Known Member

Member:
    TDY
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB 4X4 Auto
    OME Suspension, SPC UCAs, ARB Bumper, Smittybilt Winch, Ext Brakelines, SOS Sliders, 4x Innovation Rear bumper
    x3 best bang for the $. and you keep your rails and rail cleats

16. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB

Post #5

17. Aug 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.

Love mine too no problems at all

18. Aug 23, 2014 at 3:12 AM
    tacozx6r

Member:
    Thanks krob. For some reason when I scrolled up to find the post I skipped right past it. Looks like I'll be giving the Solid Fold or G4 a try! Not sure between the two just yet.

19. Aug 23, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    Mike93SVT

Mike93SVT Active Member

Member:
    Deridder, LA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB SR5
    there are a ton of threads covering this in the product review section and in here. search hard tonneau. you can get G4 Elite, Bakflip series, Extang, tonnopro etc. search the forums for the feedback on each.

personally i'm ordering Fold a Cover G4 Elite. because the undercover flex, and bakflip can be broken into with a coat hanger snagging the release cable. and the extang has a clamp on both sides you have to undo, then fold up before flipping it open.

that being said, i would much rather buy the extang encore, but they won't make one for the tacoma because of the rail system. which is crap, others have already done it.

just wait for a sale if you get the G4 Elite. 795 is ok with the $25 coupon code, but others have bought it for 730 when on sale. i don't need it till december.

mike

20. Aug 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    oldswab

oldswab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    14 dbl cab TRD OR 6MT
    Have you considered a soft topper?

I was looking at a roll top similar to the one on my 2004 for my 2014, but went with a Bestop. It gives me camper-like coverage when I need it, and folds away when I don't.

Just a thought...

Products Discussed in

To Top