1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 3.4, no acceleration, extremely loud intake

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Walcher, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Sep 24, 2014 at 1:55 AM
    Walcher

Walcher [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma 3.4
    K&n intake
    My 01 3.4 tacoma has no get up. I looked at the spark plugs, they looked fine, a little lean if anything but nothing bad, the spark plug wires are turning a little white, but there not grounding out just yet. I just bought this truck, thought it'd be a quick fix. It's throwing the 0420 code, so I replaced the upper o2 sensor, nothing happened. Cleaned my maf sensor on my k&n filter, nothing happened. Took my front cat off, ripped apart all the fins, so now I'm straight piping. Nothing again. Is there anyway that the k&n intake is doing something to the ecu to make it restrict a lot of power? It honestly feels slower than a 22r. Where should I start now? I'm all outta money and patients, I can barely pull out in traffic. Also when I hit about 4 grand, it starts to sputter and surge. Does it sound like a poor air to fuel ratio? If so, should I find a stock intake to slap in there.

2. Sep 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    If it were mine, I'd get rid of the K&N (find someone gullible to sell it to), install a stock intake, and brand new OEM MAF.

Do you have COP-type ignition, or coil packs?

3. Sep 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    Rons01TRD

Rons01TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner 4WD
    If you just got it I would do a complete tune up (Wires, plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter & air filter) first. Maybe try some Seafoam cleaner through the intake. Then take care of the 0420 code correctly, replace catalytic converter and see what happens. I'm sure BamaToy will chime in soon.:)

4. Sep 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    Walcher

Walcher [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma 3.4
    K&n intake

I'm gonna try borrowing my buddies intake and maf, see how see runs after that. And it's a coil pack type, but I believe they should still be good, if my intake doesn't work, I'll replace the wires. When it keeps throwing the 0420, I thought my cat was clogged but when I gutted the inside, the fins were wide open, it made no sense just because I changed the upper o2, and it still threw the 0420 after that. Thanks for the input bud

Products Discussed in

To Top