1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waterproof Bed Cover

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Sequence, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Oct 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    Sequence

Sequence [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Hey Guys,

Recently purchased a new 2014 Toyota Tacoma, and I am interested in purchasing a bed cover. I searched the website a bit/ google, but couldn't find any threads that directly compared the waterproof/ resistance of the different covers (there is mention of weatherproof/ waterproof, but nothing specific). I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, which is why I am interested in the waterproof element (chinooks are extremely common here). Based on the covers available on the market, which covers would you guys suggest (definitely looking for the best cover in terms of waterproof, durability, and instillation that doesn't require any major body alterations).

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Oct 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    froh

froh Beachin' Storm Trooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wilmington, DE
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Storm Trooper
    Avid Light Bar and Hitch Step, Fold-a-cover G4 Tonneau, Weathertech mats, No-Drill Front Plate, Flyzeye Interior lights, Matt Gecko's LED Bed Lights with Remote, Rear Window Security Bar, Pop & Lock, Android Auto, LED Bar, Relentless Fab Tailgate Reinforcement
    Hey Mike, is security important too? I love my hard tonneau by Fold-A-Cover (G4 Elite). I've never noticed a drop of water, it locks, and allowed use of the existing Tacoma rails. Hard tonneaus and undercover's will be a bit more pricy. I'm sure there are great soft tonneaus too. Good luck.

3. Oct 16, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    rickcrna

rickcrna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 AC SR5 4WD I4 Auto MGM
    Extang Trifecta Signature Series. Cargo underneath stays very dry. Easy to take on and off. Easy to care for. Treated mine with 303 Protectant to add greater resistance to moisture. Excellent product.

4. Oct 17, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    FawkQ

FawkQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB V6 4.0 6M "The Sequel"
    Bakflip HD for me... Stays dry and it's secure, can only open it by opening the tailgate first. Added a poplock and now the bed is secure and dry!

5. Oct 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    SilverJack

SilverJack no one

Member:
    My G4 fold-a-cover stays fairly dry inside, but isn't completely waterproof. We get some serious rains here in Florida, and occasionally the cover can't drain fast enough. If the truck is moved, it's not an issue.

6. Oct 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM
    Sequence

Sequence [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Thanks for all of the responses guys!

Didn't think I'd get this much feedback already. Security is definitely important too as I will be leaving tolls and equipment in the back. I'm going to look into the ExTang Trifecta as I like the style, installation, and tri-folding capabilities.

Much appreciated

7. Oct 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM
    2013TuRD

2013TuRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    SW BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Keep in mind that the tailgate is not sealed, moisture and dust will still get in.

8. Oct 30, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    My '13 ACLB, which I picked up used, came with a Leer 700 series. It's a nice lid, and I can't imagine it having any leaking (if you don't submerge the rear end :D)

It's not cheap. New they are around $1500 installed. It is lockable, and can even be fitted with a remote if you wish.

If you come to Fl with the rest of your snowbird cousins, I'd be happy to sell you mine for a quite reasonable price. For how I will be using the truck it will just be in the way.

9. Oct 31, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    Striper12

Striper12 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Rehoboth, MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma std.
    I bought a rollup tonneau cover for my Tacoma and never had any trouble with the gear in the bed getting wet. It velcros to the sides of the frame and can not be opened without opening the tailgate for which I also bought a Pop lock. I liked the roll up idea because I also need the ability to use the bed without the cover at times and a hard top is a pain to deal with in these instances.
    Ron

10. Oct 31, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    CountryBoySC

CountryBoySC Active Member

Member:
    I have a Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite waiting at home for me to install. The weather is calling for rain tomorrow but Sunday is supposed to be nice so I'm hoping to take a few hours on Sunday afternoon to get it installed. I've watched the install video on YouTube about 4 times so I'm hoping it won't be too bad... It came with a tailgate seal too which should be nice. I originally was looking at the Bakflip but, they can be easily opened with a coat hanger even with the tailgate up and I wanted the secure locking and the ability to open it without opening the tailgate too...

11. Oct 31, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    x2
    I had an Extang Trifecta for 5 yrs on my 2006. Worked fantastic in all kinds of temps/heavy snow/ice/rain without issue.
    It was taken off, put back on, things shoved into it from underneath etc. never leaked or punctured.
    It's tough cover.
    The only aesthetic issue is that the cover sides do not appear completely flat due to the hinge mechanism.
    Some do not like that look but honestly it doesn't bother me nor effect the cover waterproofness, just the look on the bedsides.

Bought another for my 2013 DC with same results as the one from 2006.
    A friend just bought the Signature series & I gotta say I love the look over my vinyl one.

Products Discussed in

To Top