1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cover vs Camper Shell

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Shwaa, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Nov 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    Shwaa

Shwaa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    What made you decide on one over the other?
    I have a shell myself but I know there is a big tonneau fan base here as well. Was just curious as to why people chose one over the other...

2. Nov 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I have an access low profile tonneau. It's easy to remove and much cheaper. Can fit things that sit taller than the cab of the truck.

A shell will be more protective and water proof. More secure, but lacks the ease of removal and costs much more.

3. Nov 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I've owned both, love the look of the tonneau but it's not practical. Add that to not being able to snap it down when it's cold, and a cap wins every time.

They were giving away some nearly new leather office chairs at work and I needed one at home, it was cold and I knew I wouldn't get my tonneau re snapped until the next sunny day. The chair wouldn't fit in the cab or under the tonneau..... I sold the tonneau, bought a LEER cap, and never looked back!

4. Nov 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    When it comes to snap tonneaus, I would agree. They are a nightmare to get back together.

The access tonneaus are not snap, they are velcro with tension controls. It's as easy as rolling it off, and rolling it on. Takes about 30 seconds to roll it on and secure.

IMG_5236_703d4f51caaf1252520b2e7988f7e4db3ff8ac4f.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  5. Nov 8, 2014 at 3:03 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It depends on your culture. What I mean by 'culture' - is how you use your truck.

I use my truck for hauling all sorts of crap.....every spring/summer its loaded with yard waste, mulch, etc. Not to forget...home maintenance, repair items, wood, piping, etc.

For me, having a tonneau cover is best because I can take it off completely and I can load up the bed to the gills....and not have to worry about any limitations.

Any valuable or weather proof cargo that I carry (not much) is kept in the access cab.

6. Nov 8, 2014 at 3:18 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Well its a HUGE price difference for one. Added weight for less MPG's.

Me personally, I don't need a camper shell/cap whatever you'd like to call it. I don't camp in my truck. No dogs to haul around. But a tonneau is perfect for me, because I need to haul stuff and make sure it's dry. Stuff for the kids, packed clothes, etc... but I also use my truck to haul larger things. Furniture, building materials, what have you. So hence why I got a roll up cover, so I can easily roll it up out of the way and get whatever I need in there. Kind of best of both worlds with a roll up tonneau cover. :cool:

7. Nov 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    I've owned both. Found I rarely needed the additional storage space of the shell and didn't like the that it looked like something many older gentlemen in the area used. I also needed someone to assist me if it needed to come off. The tonneau (hard Extang Solid Fold) provided security, protection from the elements, and quick removal by just myself. Plus the look is better IMO. Get what meets your needs.

8. Nov 8, 2014 at 4:11 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    My truck came with a Leer tonneau but I quickly took it off and put an ARE camper shell on it. I camp out of my truck a lot so it stays set up for that and while I have a rack on top, I toss my bike in the back more often than on top. With the tonneau everything would slide to the front then you have to climb up in it to retrieve it and sleeping in it would have been like being in a coffin. I have a utility trailer if I need to haul larger items or two people can take the camper shell off.

9. Nov 8, 2014 at 5:01 AM
    bobank

bobank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Nutting Lake MA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 DCSB Silverstreak Mica
    New Frame, Leer Cap, Vent Shades, Timbren's, Interior LED's, Fluid Film, Royal Purple.
    So OP tell us... Do you need to keep things in your bed 24/7? How do you use your Tacoma?
    I have owned pickups since the 80's and have had them without any cover, with caps and my current 06 DCSB has a soft tonneau velcro/ snap cover on it.
    My personal situation for tailgating, hunting and general time outdoors and for me it's a cap. I need to save a couple more $$ and then I'm going to get another one and my soft tonneau will be for sale on the new England For Sale forum.
    A case can be made for all of these options, but mostly depends on your needs!

10. Nov 8, 2014 at 5:42 AM
    Idaho

Idaho Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    You could always look into a soft topper as a mix between the two. Next spring / summer I will be looking at one myself as I'll be looking to camp in my bed but also want it to be easily removable.

The cost is quite a bit lower too.

11. Nov 8, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    shabbs

shabbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DCLB TRD Sport
    Skid plate - added 2014/10/23, Bed extender - added 2014/10/25, Tonneau Cover - added 2014/10/31, OEM Bed Mat - added 2014/11/12, AM/FM/CB AntennaX - added 2014/11/16, Smittybilt 27046B Beaver Step for 2" Hitch - added 2015/01/22, Trimax SXT3 Premium 5/8" Key Receiver Lock - added 2015/01/22, 2 x Grip 30' x 4" Heavy Duty Tow Straps - added 2015/01/23
    Yeah, it all comes down to how you intend to use your truck and the bed. I've had both but my last two trucks have had hard tonneau covers on as I prefer the look and no longer have a need to haul any massive items around.

My only grievence with a cap/shell is that to get something that's all the way in, you gotta get up and into your truck bed on your knees. Not as much fun at my age as it used to be. HA HA! ;) #oldz

12. Nov 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    Taco14ID

Taco14ID Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4 Silver Sky Leer 100R BedRug
    Factory Tow Package, Leer 100R, full BedRug
    You can do so much with a shell it's not even a contest.
    I sleep in mine several times a year hunting and fishing so it's my camper.
    If you're using it for work or you haul tall items that's different of course.
    I have a Leer with full BedRug. Perfect combination. Four doors give you everything an SUV provides with a ton more cargo space; especially with the LB.
    I like the bedrug so stuff stays put. I'll strap it to the adjustable side clamps if required.

13. Nov 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    VenturaSuperMagna

VenturaSuperMagna Loving Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
    I have owned several trucks over the years some with shells some with out... This is my first truck with a tonneau cover and I love it. I have a BAK Flip F1 sold by Gator Tonneau Covers. Great product secure and versitle.

14. Nov 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    midwestfourwheel

midwestfourwheel Member

Member:
    Given the choice, I would much rather back a boat trailer down a ramp with a tonneau cover on the back than a truck cap.

15. Nov 8, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    MrGlipsby

MrGlipsby Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 DC TRD OR MGM
    - Prinsu CabRac - Undercover SE Tonneau - Weathertech Floor Liners
    I went with an Undercover SE Tonneau. The initial installation was easy (took about an hour), and removing it is even easier. The Undercover seems more durable/secure than many other offerings, and is also really good at keeping water out if you install it properly.

Being able to quickly get the tonneau off if I want to load up the bed with stuff that sits high is also a plus. Camper shells aren't going to be as easy to remove and stow away.

It really boils down to what type of use you'll be putting your truck through.

16. Nov 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    GuitarGuy91

GuitarGuy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OffRoad Acc Cab (ordered)
    I have an Extang trifecta tonneau, love how easy it is to remove if I need to. I don't carry much in the back so don't need a ton of space. But I want a softopper next spring/summer just for camping, and I should be able to switch between the two when/if needed.

17. Nov 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    mgord

mgord Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    K&N, Leaf Springs, Home Built Camper
    Canopy for me.

Started building it today. Don't want to buy one. Expensive and I bought a Tacoma not a 4 Runner :)

Building mine from extra deck material and metal roofing that was used to build the "blimp" hanger that is storing my RV.

More in a couple of weeks:
    [​IMG]

18. Nov 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I can sleep under my camper shell. I bought it used for $320.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415577936.541679.jpg

19. Nov 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    901Tacoma

901Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Memphis,TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 12 Prerunner TRD TX Baja
    Tinted Windows, Amber Fogs, Headlights, Blacked out grill and chrome work.
    If there is one for a 2012 shortbed pre-runner that cheap someone hollar at me!!

20. Nov 10, 2014 at 3:17 AM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    I bought a tonneau and had it for little over a month before a camper came up for sale on CL for $100.

I really prefer the shell. The only downside is if you need to haul large furniture items or have mulch, gravel, etc dumped into the bed.

I will rent a uhaul if I need to do the first one and I currently rent so the second one isn't a necessity for me. Both shells and tonneaus are nice. Decide which meets your needs most. I wanted the shell for camping.

Products Discussed in

To Top