1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Add-on Air intakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ken 46, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Dec 31, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    Ken 46

Ken 46 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Dunedin Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner 4Dr 4.0 V-6
    Nerf bars,painted Vent visors and bug shield. s.s. exhaust tip,Husky mats,
    Has anyone added an after market air intake filter system like a K/N or airade? Are any of them any good? Do they actually add H/P and better fuel maileage? Thinking on maybe adding one to my 2015 taco?

2. Dec 31, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    You already have one on your truck from the Factory. This has been talked and talked and talked and talked about. Don't bother it does nothing by itself.

3. Dec 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Save your money, there are like 500 threads and you tube videos on this.. they are worthless for MPG or any performance on a stock engine.

In fact you may even lose power on one section of the RPM range but gain it elsewhere.

Your engine from the factory was tuned for the stock box with proper Air/Fuel ratios.. dont buy any aftermarket intake unless you just want a louder motor while accelerating.

Aftermarket intakes with a Supercharger or a tuned motor with free flowing header and exhaust may have a gain in power at a loss of MPG.

What was your intention?

4. Dec 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Your truck has a perfectly tuned cold air intake from the factory. Additionally, any "extra" air flow comes at a cost of efficiency. K&N can let through up to 18X MORE DIRT than a properly maintained factory filter.

5. Jan 1, 2015 at 6:18 AM
    Ken 46

Ken 46 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Dunedin Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner 4Dr 4.0 V-6
    Nerf bars,painted Vent visors and bug shield. s.s. exhaust tip,Husky mats,
    Thanks for letting me know about the add on Air intakes, New to this site , So don't know my way around to good yet !!

6. Jan 1, 2015 at 6:58 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    If it was perfectly tuned, then why offer a TRD option?

7. Jan 1, 2015 at 7:18 AM
    sdtag

sdtag Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    lifted 2", snug top, tube steps
    nobody here seems to like K&N but me.
    I added the K&N cold air intake system. I think it was around 250 to 300 on Ebay.
    I noticed a difference right away. I like it. it changed the sound of the engine and I can feel more power. I haven't checked mileage yet. just the change in sound alone is enough to keep my foot off the pedal. It sounds like opening secondaries on carburated motors 30 years ago.
    The bottom line is it's your truck - do your research, form an opinion, and do what makes sense to you.
    Right away I was warned on this site that K&N filters use oil and eventually the oil will clog a sensor in the tube. I plan on turning the truck when it reaches 100k anyway so I don't care. I like it and that is what matters to me, not flamers. There is another brand that doesn't use oil. The flamers here seem to calm down a little bit on that one, but they sure come out when they see K&N. Flame on. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Jan 1, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    To charge a premium for increased induction noise.

9. Jan 1, 2015 at 9:11 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
  10. Jan 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Oil fouls the sensor only when the owner over-oils the filter. Whether you choose to believe this or not, some of the sensors out there work like a charm when covered in filter oil.

11. Jan 1, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    SabMotocross

SabMotocross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCSB V6 TRD S/C
    TRD BAJA Suspension...Rims and tires, blackout badging, TRD oil filler cap, front skid plate, N-Fab step bars, GrillCraft custom upper and lower grills. K&N air filter, TRD Supercharger.
    I installed an AEM intake on my '06 GMC Canyon. As far as performance goes....it made more noise. That's it. No way will I waste money on an aftermarket intake for my '14 Tacoma. Invest in a TRD exhaust and TRD supercharger if you want increased performance.

12. Jan 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    If you buy a CAI (cold air intake) go with one that uses a dry filter so you don't foul your MAF. People who think CAI's can't increase power EVER are just being silly, even the MCM crew got a few to work and give 5% more power on a Honda s2000. Your stock intake is designed to be the best compromise between noise, power, and safety for the engine. It is not the best for all three since there are tradeoff's between each feature. The trick is you never get extra horsepower power without a cost when it comes to intakes. Usually that cost is a loss of roughly the same amount of power off the low end. So for every 5-6 HP you MIGHT get off a CAI you'll probably lose 10-15 ft*lbs of torque off your low end. This will make your truck slower off the line and make things harder to pull. In the end, this is why without a supercharger or some other non bolt on mods, it usually does not make sense to install a CAI on a Toyota Tacoma or in most relatively trucks for that matter.

On some other cars though there is some gain. I'm not here to start an argument of opinions though. Basically if you buy any sort of forced induction it will be worth it to upgrade the intake. Otherwise I'd leave it stock and cut out the charcoal filter.

13. Jan 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    SabMotocross

SabMotocross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCSB V6 TRD S/C
    TRD BAJA Suspension...Rims and tires, blackout badging, TRD oil filler cap, front skid plate, N-Fab step bars, GrillCraft custom upper and lower grills. K&N air filter, TRD Supercharger.

Well said Sterdog!

14. Jan 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    As stated above there "may be" some very small gains had from adding this and that, but the Cost to return ratio is waaaay out of whack. Too much money for little or nothing in return.

It can also cause you many headaches. If you have read the threads on here of all the CEL's that have been thrown over CAI's.

15. Jan 1, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Most of the CEL's thrown are with the TRD intake that came out in 2009. It's a POS. The new style Volants and AFe's with dry filters don't throw codes.

Everyone values things differently. If you want the sound of a CAI or you are looking forward to a TRD supercharger in your future the CAI upgrade makes sense. Nice blanket statement there champ.

16. Jan 1, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    Hippiglass

Hippiglass Well-Known Member

Member:
    riverside ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma sport DCSB
    DTF race kit, DTF front bumper, king 10"dual rate shocks, URD CAI, total chaos upper control arm brackets, method race wheels, 35/12.5/17 bfg ko2, mcneil TT bedsides, custom SLX Motorsports front fenders, fox bump stops
    is there a reason why the stock intakes are made so different then normal stock intakes? i just picked up a 2012 and was trippin on how its setup with the filter right over the manifold.. then the extra air pump on the side

17. Jan 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM
    Hippiglass

Member:
    riverside ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma sport DCSB
    DTF race kit, DTF front bumper, king 10"dual rate shocks, URD CAI, total chaos upper control arm brackets, method race wheels, 35/12.5/17 bfg ko2, mcneil TT bedsides, custom SLX Motorsports front fenders, fox bump stops
    ya i understand it fr emissions.. just seems a lil over engineered

18. Jan 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    Hippiglass

Member:
    riverside ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma sport DCSB
    i actually thought it looked pretty cleaned up compared to the infiniti i traded in for it, that engine had stuff going all over.. but they have definitely made some big changes since my 04 tacoma

19. Jan 1, 2015 at 11:56 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You got any documentation to support that blanket statement / claim?

I'll bet they can and often do. A lot of that could and probably is installation issues. They are still problematic IMO.

Why spend all that money for some noise. Like I said Too much $$ for too little return. If you are going to spend a lot of $$$ just get the Supercharger to begin with, at least you will get some return on the money spent.

I gave my opinion. You also made a few Undocumented blanket statements there Chief! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  20. Jan 2, 2015 at 12:07 AM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    Im pleased with my AFE Stage 2 Sealed CAI...

Products Discussed in

To Top