1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bakflip G2 longterm review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by steviestyles, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Jul 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles [OP] The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    So after having my Bakflip G2 for 5 years, I think I can give an honest assesment of it's performance and durability.

Long story short, I purchased the first iteration of the Bakflip and as widely documented, it was a piece of crap to put it lightly. The trim was attached using 3M double sided tape and from the heat of the sun, quickly fell apart. Luckily for me I was just barely in the 1 year warranty period and contacted Bak about a replacement. It was nearly impossibly in 2008 to get someone to reply and it seems not much has improved. Julian the owner had posted on here, so I contacted him directly and only then was a replacement sent.

Since April 2008 I had the improved G2 on my truck. My truck was parked outside from 2008-2010. The cover held up for the most part. From 2010 to 2013 the truck was parked in a garage. About late 2009 (past warranty), I noticed several cracks developing on the front panel near the cab (stationary panel) as the year went by, many more hairline cracks started to develop. The top started to fade and slowly bowed in the middle (never placed wieght on the top). While it never leaked badly, water always seeped in, I attribute this more to the shape of the bed than the cover.

Fast forward to 2013, many of the cracks have grown to span the length of the panel. From simple searches here on TW, it appears I'm not the only one with this problem. Many of the powder coated hardware has started to rust out, and I had to replace the Elevator bolt that connects the top to the rails due to bolts rusting and the star nut freezing to the bolt (not an easy chore).

I did contact Bak to see if they would do anything eventhough the cover is long out of warranty. While they're not inclined to do anything, they did redesigned the cover yet again, I could only guess it was becasue there was a design flaw with the G2 model I have. After 2 emails to Julian, I finally got a reply from the warranty dept, and the offer was I could purchase a new cover at retail and they would give me 20% off their price which was still a lot more than purchasing from Scott at Truckaddons.com. Bottom line, for a cover that is touted to be able to withstand the elements, my 5 year grade is:

Functionality - A Great design; however you lose the use of the bedrails
    Durability - D Seeing how my truck has been in NJ, VA and CO with half of that time in a garage, there is no reason for the hardware to rust or the shell to be cracking.
    Looks - A It's a preference, I personally like the flushed look the top offers, it a nice seamless look.
    Customer Service - D 5 years after the fact, Bak still has spotty Customer Service
    Price/Value - F For $800, a Cover really should last longer than 5 years; especially when Bak touts the cover is deisgned to withstand the elements. Hopefully Bak has solved the durability issues seeing as they have 5 different models either made of aluminum or fiberglass.
    Bottom Line/Overall - D Seeing that many, myself included were guinea pigs to the faults of Bak, I would be very reluctant to purchase another one of thier covers; especially due to their spotty record with Customer Service. The next cover for my next truck will probably be an Undercover Flex or Extend Solid Fold.

Steve

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. Jan 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    fendertweed

fendertweed Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma base
    Similar experience here, got our BAKFlip in early '08/late '07, by 3-4 yrs. later it was coming apart (panels out of the frame)... I tried to repair w/ fiberglass and hold it together but after 5 yrs. it was done and now after 6, it's dangerous, the rear 2 panels are held on only by the rubber side strips.

Definitely not what I expected re durability for the high purchase price paid.

The Roll-X looks interesting but very pricey and not inclined to roll the dice again for even more money...

3. Jan 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM
    treydeezy

treydeezy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Jacksonville FL
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB V6
    not sure how this makes me feel after purchasing a Bakflip G2 yesterday...

4. Jan 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM
    fendertweed

fendertweed Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma base
    Since posting my update a year ago I removed the back 2 panels, they were going to be a fly-away danger on the road.

So the front 2 panels remain in place as kind of a rain shelter for items my wife stores up front for her garden maint. business.

I agree with steviestyles's grades in general, though I never had occasion to contact BAK for customer support.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top