1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Volant CAI + Scoop install on '13 2wd DCSB TRD Sport

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by MadDaddy, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Jan 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    MadDaddy

MadDaddy [OP] Pork Rind Extraordinaire

Member:
    53 Miles West of Venus
    Many & varied
    I've done CAI's before and thought I needed a little challenge this time. So I went for the biggest box with the scoop, decided to do it at night, outside in 32 degree weather :/

Everything came out of the engine bay fine.
    Converting stuff over was okay.
    Mounting stuff was a bit of a hassle. Thankfully they included an elbow and a few extra inches of tubing.
    Getting the Donaldson Powercore in the box was a major B. I let out several strings of profanity I'm not proud of. It basically can not fit the adapter inside the box. I couldn't find anyone else having this problem & a solution online. I saw some VW and Dodge guys chucking the Volant filter and mounting a K&N filter on the end.
    Anyway, I wound up cutting the rubber lip off the Powercore just to get it to fit on the adapter base inside the box. :mad:
    Oh, and those rubber mounts for the pump? Make sure you wear some gloves, reach through and tug 'em. Just treat 'em like big ol' cow teats.

After the HOUR LONG Powercore debacle, the scoop was a five minute job, except for the fact that NONE of the holes lined up correctly to the truck. This was a quick and easy fix with a drill and a bit (on the plastic only). Still, after everything I'm left with two nuts & bolts that were never mentioned in the iffy instructions.
    link: http://www.volant.com/3dkls/iddb/Tfi...ta/38240_3.pdf

Anyway, it's all mounted up. Looks decent. I wish I could mount the engine cover back on top. it seemed to block some engine noise. I noticed the engine was loud after cranking it up. Granted, it was 32 degrees outside and it had been sitting for three hours. SO anyway, idle was HIGH (1400-1500) for a while before settling down to 1100. I took it for a spin and yep, there's a motor under the hood. I wasn't prepared for one shift which knocked me back into the seat. The exhaust note is slightly different too. Mind you, I'm still on stock exhaust. That's the next step [​IMG]

image_zpsa171c534_eaa517253b34363d0e4572c41a0fe7b04aeb8877.jpg
    [​IMG]

See, the adapter is larger than the lip of the powercore. The rubber on the power core is so dense it won't stretch over the adapter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut and fitted. Finally:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finshed:

[​IMG]

Mully and LamzTaco like this.
  2. Feb 3, 2015 at 6:52 AM
    ZombieHorde

ZombieHorde Active Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma TRD Off
    Cat Back Exhaust, pondering others...
    Used WD40 after considering some drastic options. Hell man, same exact experience! Good to know I ain't the only one who was like "F Volant...What the hell."

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. Feb 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Congrats

4. Feb 12, 2015 at 6:13 AM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    No check engine light?

5. Feb 12, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    MadDaddy

Member:
    53 Miles West of Venus
    Many & varied

Nope. No CEL and it's been on for nearly 1100 miles. I read here and elsewhere that the '13+ have a redesigned tube with a better MAF sensor placement & seating, so the CEL issue with the earlier design is no more.

Related: I'm charting my mileage and will post results from pre & post install following my next tank of gas.

AZ_Charles likes this.
  6. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    MadDaddy

Member:
    53 Miles West of Venus
    Many & varied
    Round 1:

Mileage/Fuel Used/Fuel Left/Avg.mpg./Reserved/Notes
    318.8 / 17.8 gal. / 3.2 gal. / 17.91 / 57.3 miles / mostly city
    307.7 / 17.4 gal. / 3.6 gal. / 17.68 / 63.7 miles / mostly city
    360.0 / 18.3 gal. / 2.7 gal. / 19.67 / 53.1 miles / 3/4 tank hwy 65-75mph

Average totals:
    328.8 / 17.8 gal. / 3.2 gal. / 18.42 / 58.0 miles

Round 2:
    Mileage/Fuel Used/Fuel Left/Avg.mpg./Reserved/Notes
    319.5 / 19.1 gal / 1.9 gal / 16.72 / 31.8 miles / Intake & exhaust added

348.1 / 18.4 gal. / 2.6 gal. / 18.92 / 49.2 miles / low psi @ 1/2 tank

370.1 / 18.7 gal. / 2.3 gal. / 19.79 / 45.5 miles / 1/2 city, 1/2 hwy

Average totals:
    345.9 / 18.7 gal. / 2.27 gal. / 18.47 / 42.2 miles

Notes:

Round 1 was fresh from dealer, all stock.

Round 2 was colder weather, intake & exhaust installed. Weather was so cold air leaked from tires. Was running low (24 psi.) for 1.5 tanks. Mileage improved when tires were inflated to 31 psi. I am running regular grade ethanol gas (winter mix). Round 2 tank 1 is an outlier because I was throttling it A LOT. If that tank is removed you can see I minimally marked increase in mpg.

My highest mpg tanks were recorded when I was about 5 hours south of here. The temps were a good 10-12 degrees warmer. My worst mpg tanks were recorded during significantly colder than average weeks.
    While the premise behind a CAI is to bring more cold air into the engine, I think there's a minimum temperature threshold where, maybe it becomes so cold it is actually a hindrance to efficient combustion. Perhaps the solution is to only run CAI in warm months or leave stock intake in place.

I look forward to comparing summer gas and temp numbers to this data set. This is just raw data so you can glean from it what you want. The best things I've found for fuel economy is to watch the right foot, time the lights, keep it under 2k rom and monitor tire psi. 31 or 32 psi. Is a pretty good point for pavement.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    AZ_Charles likes this.
  7. Feb 22, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    lunalobowolf

lunalobowolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Just bought it last week, just tinted the windows and added the paint protection for hood and front bumper. Installed weather tech digital floormats, the rearview mirror extender (from this site), an Optima battery with custom tray, TRD oil cap, rad cap, TRD supercharger!!! Ya!!! Just this week $3710.00 plus $690.00 installed in El Paso, TX at Hoy Fox Lexus Dealership, TRD exhaust, Airaid cold air intake waiting in box in garage, Amsoil Dual Filter remote with 42 Design Oil catch can still to install. Need advice on URD Y-Pipe???? Have URD Welbro fuel pump to install also but want help. Have to sell the mid-mount light bar from (Pelly off this site) never opened it, still in box, but decided to go a different route $100.00 takes it plus shipping in USA.
    I have the same setup, the Volant and scoop on my 2012 DCSB OR.

And yes getting that Donaldson filter on was about a 30 minute ordeal and
    made a painless install and PITA.

MadDaddy[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 11, 2015 at 10:21 PM
    bbourque5

bbourque5 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Did any of you have to extend the wires for the smog pump? I saw a YouTube video where the guy had to solder some wires to extend the harness. I'm hoping that won't be necessary

9. Aug 12, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    ZombieHorde

ZombieHorde Active Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma TRD Off
    Cat Back Exhaust, pondering others...
  10. Aug 12, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    bbourque5

bbourque5 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply, that's a relief. Also, thanks for the tip; my brother and friend had Volant CAIs in their trucks, and I do remember it being a pain in the butt.

11. Feb 28, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    MadDaddy

Member:
    53 Miles West of Venus
    Many & varied
    Five years and 75,000 miles later, I decided to change out the filter. It was a pain at first but not as much as the first time. I just lubed up the top and the rim real good with Vaseline, worked it a little bit, rocking it back and forth on the edge and it slipped right in there! Still had to give it the finger like last time, though. It’s a tight squeeze to work in the box with both hands and the filter:

Rick's 2012 and Mully like this.
  12. Jan 10, 2021 at 4:57 PM
    Gunerbey

Gunerbey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    i just installed mine. no CEL for those asking but my long term fuel trims are upwards of 20% out. i'll need to recalibrate my MAF. thankfully i have hptuners to do so. i also made some modifications to the air box that others might want to know about. for one, i drilled small drain holes in the bottom of the box, i had a S and B intake before and found water marks at the bottom. the second mod i did was to cut the window opening to make it a little wider. this allowed me to install the filter and adaptor flange as one assembled unit. now removing and installing the filter is as simple as loosening the 2 bolts and pulling it out. 3rd is a bit more difficult to explain. i didnt want to use the ram air for a few different reasons so i wanted to optimise the fender portion of the air box. i noticed that the tubing to the throttle body is 4" diameter and the intake hole of the air box was only about 3" going into a 4" hole in the airbox. the tube that sticks out of the side of the airbox to the fender is what i modified. it had a taper down from 3.5 inches to 3 inches. i started by cutting the smaller portion off. then i thinned out the walls on the tube opening the inner diameter from 3.5 to >3.75 inches. pretty close to the 4" hole it was going into. only problem was that i had just cut the pipe shorter so it no longer penetrated through the fender. i installed some weather stripping on the fender hole to bridge that gap. lastly i plugged the hole for the ram air intake. doing all this brought my measured intake temp down 5-10 degrees c, and increased my max airflow by %2. sorry, i rambled on a nit there. just happy to have it done. now to calibrate the maf...

Rick's 2012 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top