1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another advice thread

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dewald1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    dewald1

dewald1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Hey Everyone, Just looking for some guidance after hours of research and minimal progress made. I'll make it brief since this shouldn't be too complicated of a fix. Current stats are stock everything, 3 leafs in the back. Stock tire size 245/75's.

I'm looking to upgrade my suspension, and here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
    Level out the front with the rear
    Increase bed hauling capabilities
    Minimize overall lift in general

I want the ride to sit even front to back, and it seems like when I haul anything I tend to bottom out in the back. I don't want to drastically lift the truck, since I don't off road much and have stock tire size. I'd like a complete kit for front and back, budget of $800 plus or minus. Thanks for any help!

2. Mar 6, 2015 at 6:58 AM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    This^

3. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:08 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    The best way to improve the loaded handling is to add some deaver leafs... At $700 that just about blows your budget right there. It will only lift your truck about 1" but will give you the better handling you are looking for. You could then buy some 5100's for the front and set them at 1.5"...

4. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    dewald1

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    So obviously I'm fairly uneducated when it comes to suspensions in general. So you're saying that even if I replace the stock leafs I will still have issues bottoming out with the same load weights? I just find myself maxing out when I have what I feel like is a fairly small load in the back.

I will definitely look into the 5100's, have heard nothing but positive reviews about them. Thanks for all the input.

5. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    No, the new leafs will absolutely carry the weight better. You won't bottom out but the truck is still limited to its load capacity due to the smaller engine and braking power.

Theoretically you could put springs on the truck to hold 5k lbs but you couldn't safely drive it... Got it?

6. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    dewald1

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    That makes sense. I guess I was just a little confused being that I wasn't eligible for the add a leaf TSB, and I thought that would allow me to load a little more without hitting the stops. I don't often fill the bed with anything, it just seemed when I had a half a bed of firewood I was maxed out.

So something along these lines would be a good idea?

7. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:09 AM
    dewald1

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    And the last horse crosses the finish line.... Sorry I'm a little slow with this. Haha.

How does this sound: , and 5100's front and back? That sould be south of $1k and seems like it would handle loads better. It says based on chassis and load it will raise the ride height. Do you think it would be substantially higher?

Also, by installing these components, would there be any other modifications to my truck that would be necessary?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  8. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:20 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Basically from the factory the trucks are set up to ride good kind of like a car because you have "car" people buying trucks now. What that does is make the truck not carry the weight it can very well so the ass end sinks and you hit the bump stops. When you put the set of springs on the Taco that can haul the weight it's supposed to it makes the ride firmer or for those of us who have drove 4x4 trucks all our life it make the truck ride like it's supposed to. I had the same issue as you with the truck sinking in the back. I put a full OME lift kit on mine because I wanted the lift and the ability to carry stuff without looking like a stink bug going down the road. I understand this isn't the answer for your needs but it's what I did. I have a slight rake but the truck handles weight and driving is exactly how I want it. To me the stock truck rode like crap for a truck. I'm not into the whole cushy car ride.

9. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:20 AM
    dewald1

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Awesome, I really appreciate the help with this. Thanks for educating me!

10. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    1rooster

1rooster TACOMA31750

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra crewmax
    5100's ALL WAY AROUND, 885X COILS, DRIVER SIDE LEAN SPACER, ICON PROGRESSIVE AAL W/O OVERLOAD, 265/75/16 KENDA KLEVER M/T. 1 1/4 SPIDERTRAC WHEEL SPACERS, GEN 1 TRD COLD AIR INTAKE, STOCK MUFFLER WITH CHOPPED TURNDOWN, 5% TINT OVER FACTORY, DEBADGED, TOYOTA RUBBER BED MAT, WEATHERTECH MATS,UWS TOOLBOX, UNDERCOVER SE, LOCKER MOD, REAR BUMPER, PIONEER DOUBLE DIN WITH PARKING BREAK OVER RIDE, CUSTOM OIL CATCH CAN, FULL LED INTERIOR, ARB BUMPER REPLACEMENT. COVERKING SEAT COVERS. MORIMOTO H1 MINI COVERSION WITH MINI GATLIN GUN SHROUDS AND 5000K MORIMOTO BULBS. TRAILER PLUG RELOCTED TO BUMPER. 20 INCH LED LIGHTBAR MOUNTED BEHIND CUSTOM PAINTED GRILL. STUBBY ATNENNA
    Firestone airbags work great for increased bed weight. It's cheaper than a new leaf pack and it's perfect if your not wanting to gain any lift.

11. Mar 6, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    1rooster

1rooster TACOMA31750

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra crewmax
    5100's ALL WAY AROUND, 885X COILS, DRIVER SIDE LEAN SPACER, ICON PROGRESSIVE AAL W/O OVERLOAD, 265/75/16 KENDA KLEVER M/T. 1 1/4 SPIDERTRAC WHEEL SPACERS, GEN 1 TRD COLD AIR INTAKE, STOCK MUFFLER WITH CHOPPED TURNDOWN, 5% TINT OVER FACTORY, DEBADGED, TOYOTA RUBBER BED MAT, WEATHERTECH MATS,UWS TOOLBOX, UNDERCOVER SE, LOCKER MOD, REAR BUMPER, PIONEER DOUBLE DIN WITH PARKING BREAK OVER RIDE, CUSTOM OIL CATCH CAN, FULL LED INTERIOR, ARB BUMPER REPLACEMENT. COVERKING SEAT COVERS. MORIMOTO H1 MINI COVERSION WITH MINI GATLIN GUN SHROUDS AND 5000K MORIMOTO BULBS. TRAILER PLUG RELOCTED TO BUMPER. 20 INCH LED LIGHTBAR MOUNTED BEHIND CUSTOM PAINTED GRILL. STUBBY ATNENNA
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top