Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Sierra Expeditions

Notices

IBS dual battery kits

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
FlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wil
FlyingWil's Tacoma Gallery
IBS dual battery kits

Looking to add a second battery to your Tacoma? Sierra Expeditions carries the IBS Dual Battery Systems. This is a complete kit with everything you need to install into your Tacoma. $379.95 + Shipping

This kit includes:
  • 200A Relay (12v Systems)
  • In-cab monitor with flush mount (optional mounts available)
  • Wire Harness
  • 10' of 4g positive and negative cables
  • All connectors needed to complete installation

After trying several different brands of dual battery kits, this is the one I personally use and recommend to those in the market looking for a dual battery kit. We have installed these kits on several Tacoma's and are very pleased with the results.

Wiring Diagram:

$379.95 + Shipping
More info on our website: IBS Dual Battery Systems
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
FlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlyingWil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here is my install (pre wiring shield):

I went with the IBS dual battery system with the option RBM (Relay Booster Module) to replace my problematic National Luna

Here you can see the control unit. It is slightly larger than the NL, but has all electronics in the cab, unlike the NL which has it mounted above the solenoid. This makes this unit much more water resistant than the NL kit.

The solenoid itself is much smaller in comparison and sound wise much quieter when linking or disconnecting the batteries. When I h ad the surepower solenoid it would trigger the glass break sensor on the alarm, as would the NL. This unit does not trigger the glass break sensor with the solenoid mounted directly to the firewall.

It's hard to tell here, but everything is sealed, keeping water and dust out.

The harness was a breeze to set up, simply 4 wires through the firewall and connect per the instructional diagram. In my case since I was installing the RBM, the diagram I had to follow was the one included in the RBM package.

Again fully sealed!!!

Controller mounted using a swivel base mount:

Under the hood, Still need to add wiring looms before too much driving.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
2011tacotrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
2011tacotrd's Tacoma Gallery
Nice placement for the control unit. How did you do it cut the existing and if so with what. it looks clean.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Wil, Where did you install the second battery in the gen 2 Tacoma?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011tacotrd View Post
Nice placement for the control unit. How did you do it cut the existing and if so with what. it looks clean.
It is mounted with a slide-n-lock pad that is mounted to the console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Hey Wil, Where did you install the second battery in the gen 2 Tacoma?
You can see the battery tray mounted on the passenger side fender, with the ABS slightly re-located in the pic below. Please note that if you mount this way you want the positive terminal towards the engine so if there ever was a chance of the mount failing it will not ground to the hood, in this case the battery was mounted so that the positive was towards the firewall, and the negative toward the grille to mitigate chances of arcing.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Awesome stuff man! i am looking to go duals soon

But i am a bit confused with your wiring diagram..your starter battery is still running your winch? is that what you wanted??
You want to wire in the winch as close to the alternator as possible, when winching you use the Battery Monitor (controller) to link the two batteries plus you have the alternator as well.

Quote:
I don't really get why you would need the control box..
The control box or battery monitor, allows you to monitor the batteries, link the batteries (self jump starting, winching, and other high load situations). The battery monitor also houses all the computer portion of the battery kit, thus keeping it out of the engine bay and in theory "high and dry".

Quote:
oh..and do you have a build thread?
not on this forum, I have one over on ExPo here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-is-growing-up!

and here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ingWil-s-FZJ80

and here's the wife's rig:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ight=flyingwen
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Palehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Palehorse1's Tacoma Gallery
I keep missing the group buys on the other sites that we both frequent and wanted to know when the IBS group buy for TacomaWorld will go down. Thanks for the write up on the install and use.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
More info on the solar panel please
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
^^^This

And whats the relay booster module for?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread is old... I'm posting anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
More info on the solar panel please
The solar panel with regulator allows the Aux battery to charge independent of the engine running. (You can find quality solar panels from www.wholesalesolar.com with 20 year warrantys, and you can find solar regulators for under $100 on Amazon. The regulator is necessary for stopping the charge when the batteries are full.) But the way I understand the IBS system is that it does even more. From the sierraexpedition.com website:

Quote:
New bi-directional Automatic Battery link New bi-directional link Automatic Battery:

While the engine is running the Main and Aux batteries are linked together for parallel charging from the alternator (green LED linked is on). If the engine is stopped, the two batteries will be disconnected automatically with some delay. With the additional charge by solar equipment, battery charger or generator is sufficient for charging, the starter battery will be charged automatically with Aux battery together (green LED "link" lights). Appliances as fridges, lights, compressors, inverters are now safely fed from the aux battery.
The way I understand the above text is that, if the solar energy is more than enough to run the auxiliary load AND charge the Aux battery, then the two batteries are linked and the solar charge will charge the starter battery as well. This is a really nice feature if it works the way I understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
^^^This

And whats the relay booster module for?
Quote:
RBM Relay Booster Module: designed to improve the functionality of the IBS-DBS Dual Battery System (IBS-DBS and DBi-DBS) in the event that the starter battery is empty or fails totally.
The IBS product looks like a really nice one. The price is a bit steep IMO.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i would love to have one
Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
68m is on a distinguished road
68m's Tacoma Gallery
IBS vs National Luna

My National Luna set up in my 80 series draws down the battery voltage of both batteries if I don't drive it for a couple of weeks. Does the IBS system do this as well? Thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68m View Post
My National Luna set up in my 80 series draws down the battery voltage of both batteries if I don't drive it for a couple of weeks. Does the IBS system do this as well? Thanks
No, the system will turn its self off on the monitoring side. I went from a National Luna to the IBS about 3 years ago and haven't looked back since.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Wil, what is the additional parasitic load on your starting battery with your IDS Monitor? and why do you run your winch off of the starting battery instead of the aux (deep cycle) battery?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
68m is on a distinguished road
68m's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingWil View Post
No, the system will turn its self off on the monitoring side. I went from a National Luna to the IBS about 3 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Thanks Wil. I found the specs on that and the NL kit draws 40ma and the IBS draws 1ma while parked. Nice to know that it will shut off as well if the battery gets low. Pretty sure the NL doesn't do that either.