Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma World Site News > Site News and Announcements

Notices

Front Page Thumbnail Pictures

Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Front Page Thumbnail Pictures

So a few days ago we added thumbnail pictures to the front page.

If you're not a fan of it, you can turn it off through:

a) your Control Panel > Edit Options (at the very bottom of that page) or

b) the quicker way, go to the front page and click the special camera icon that'll turn it off or on:

(the front page camera icon won't appear if you're using Internet Explorer 6)

How it works: the system will look for pics in the first post of a thread. This includes attachments, embedded pics, youtube videos, and even links to some sites (like ebay and craigslist). If it doesn't find anything in the first post, then it looks in reverse order from the end of the thread up to a couple pages deep until it hits a picture. That's why sometimes the thumbnail appears to match a thread (like most of the b/s/t threads) and sometimes it's completely unrelated.

I've been keeping track of how many members have explicitly turned it on vs. turned it off, and the results led to me keep the feature.

Thanks to the mods, cmack, wolfpack_5150, mjp2 and flightcancled for their help with it. If you have questions about it feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Page Thumbnail Pictures-untitled-3.png  
Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad

*walks in circles muttering to self*
Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Bob...your pretty much a BAMF!!!! This feature is cool as hell
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i have to say that that is way bad ass and very cool!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av1JPq0Qmy4
Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad
change is bad

Dont you do this anyway?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Drewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
Drewboto's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

The first time I saw the feature, I thought "oh great, now there's another site that's going to take longer to load on my phone" but I haven't noticed any page download speed differences. Loads pretty smooth
Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
I love this feature. The hidden camera is the bomb. Now, if there's only a way to get to the last page of a thread from the home page. Hmmm.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
I love this feature. The hidden camera is the bomb. Now, if there's only a way to get to the last page of a thread from the home page. Hmmm.
you can get to the last post of any thread on the home page by either clicking the box that the thread title is in (but not on the thread title itself), or click this icon next to the last poster's name under the Last Post column
Old 07-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Dont you do this anyway?
yes
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I like the new feature as well. Not sure why anyone would turn it off (slow internetz maybe?). Anyway, I think this is the best run forum I have ever been on and I am a member on over 15 of them. The site is fast and not bogged down with ads. It seems to attract a good membership - funny, serious, helpful, emotional, etc.

Good work, Bob...keep it up!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
you can get to the last post of any thread on the home page by either clicking the box that the thread title is in (but not on the thread title itself), or click this icon next to the last poster's name under the Last Post column

That frustrated me as hell then I clicked on the area of the post and vuala! I do agree though this site has very friendly people willing to answer the silliest, firsthand off the top of the head knowledge, stupidest questions I have ever come up with lol
Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
So.. If you post a picture in the first post of a thread it will stay as the home page picture ... but if there is no pic in first post it will change with each new picture??
Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #16

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
As I understand it, the latest picture posted will show.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This is only a Test

Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #18
Sticks For Troops

Test has Failed... Epic Fail.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #19

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
As it was your test, does that mean that you fail?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #20
Sticks For Troops

uh.. no.. i dont think.. wait ill go conduct more test on my end...

>
>>
>
>>
>

The Results show No.. I do not fail, there is a minor flaw in the system.

My Test suggest the newest pic in a thread should be the Home page thumbnail..