Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma World Site News > Site Suggestions

Notices

Why TW Search Sucks

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattygabe's Tacoma Gallery
Why TW Search Sucks

Hey guys, great site, and this isn't a beef with you (it's with the makers of the vBulletin forum software), but the search function for the forums SUCKS.

Whatever I search for, I rarely find. One minute mention of a single word in a search of 3 of my words makes a single thread the first result... three pages later I find the thread I needed.

I actually searched for the exact title of a mod that everyone was quoting... didn't find it.

What I did find, however, is that Google indexes TW pretty frequently, and using it to search finds relevant threads QUICKLY.

For example I'll compare the two. I wanted to know who's installed HD Radios in their Tacos (preferably 2nd gen, but I was looking for anything). I searched for (without the quotes) "HD Radio".

On TW, I got a ton of results, a couple polls, none of them had radio in the title, and of the 6 I randomly looked at on the first page, NONE had HD in them, let alone "HD Radio".

So I used Google instead. Search the term "HD Radio site:tacomaworld.com", first result was the thread entitled, "HD Radio?" Really?

Could you guys provide a link to a custom Google site search focused on TW only? Everyone complains that people don't use search enough, yet they probably do - it just doesn't work much, if at all.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
jcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to beholdjcrazy425 is a splendid one to behold

Name: JC
jcrazy425's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
When you search, there is an optional check box "Search Titles Only", it is also a drop down box option in Advanced Search.
When I did your search for "HD Radio" with "Search Titles Only" checked it came back with 11 threads, 2 of which are called "HD Radio".
Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
When you search, there is an optional check box "Search Titles Only", it is also a drop down box option in Advanced Search.
When I did your search for "HD Radio" with "Search Titles Only" checked it came back with 11 threads, 2 of which are called "HD Radio".
That's somewhat helpful, but Google also returns relevant results that don't have the search terms in the title, too.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygabe View Post
For example I'll compare the two. I wanted to know who's installed HD Radios in their Tacos (preferably 2nd gen, but I was looking for anything). I searched for (without the quotes) "HD Radio".

On TW, I got a ton of results, a couple polls, none of them had radio in the title, and of the 6 I randomly looked at on the first page, NONE had HD in them, let alone "HD Radio".
like AeroCooper said, when you check the box that said Search Titles Only, it will search titles for what you wanted.

I'll add google custom search to the search box since it is a good idea. if you think other things suck you're welcome to pm me as well.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
Haha, nice touch.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha, nice touch.
Shows 11 results for me...maybe I can't link by search ID or something.

Another method, which returned 279 results, is to type "HD radio" (with quotes) and tell it to display them as posts, not threads.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #9

By the way, thanks for adding the Google Search to the bar at the top... That's awesome. Hopefully we see a reduction in the amount of "I tried to search but couldn't find anything" messages, or at least a reduction in duplicate threads.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
By the way, thanks for adding the Google Search to the bar at the top... That's awesome. Hopefully we see a reduction in the amount of "I tried to search but couldn't find anything" messages, or at least a reduction in duplicate threads.