Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma World Site News > Site Suggestions

Notices

Linking to searches

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Linking to searches

I'm trying to show some new members that search is their friend.

When I link to a search I've done using the URL at the top, which has a "search id" in it, I am the only one who can see the results. When others click on it, it says no results. Same thing happens when another member posts a search results link...when I click on it, it says "no results"

Do we have a way to link to the raw results of a search? Or perhaps a better question is, what am I doing wrong?

Here's an example. When I click on this link, I get 74 threads that have the word "search" i the title. But when others click on it, it says no results.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=2174394
Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I'm trying to show some new members that search is their friend.

When I link to a search I've done using the URL at the top, which has a "search id" in it, I am the only one who can see the results. When others click on it, it says no results. Same thing happens when another member posts a search results link...when I click on it, it says "no results"

Do we have a way to link to the raw results of a search? Or perhaps a better question is, what am I doing wrong?
those search links expire after a certain time...that's why they're viewable now, but later aren't
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
those search links expire after a certain time...that's why they're viewable now, but later aren't

Others have been unable to view them after mere seconds. We were testing it out earlier today.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
good idea.....newbs would benefit bigtime (as i would of have also hehe)
Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
It seems that only the original searcher can view the results.

Can anyone else see these results? I get 74 threads.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nope.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No results
Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
No results
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Nope.
I performed that search at the time of my OP, 8 minutes ago.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Others have been unable to view them after mere seconds. We were testing it out earlier today.
crazy...i'll investigate in a bit when I get some time

good find kpt
Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
crazy...i'll investigate in a bit when I get some time

good find kpt
It was a team effort

Thanks for looking into it Bob.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
Gringo Bandito

tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
ok I think I fixed it. see if this works (up to an hour from now, then vbulletin will expire it)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=2175159
Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok I think I fixed it. see if this works (up to an hour from now, then vbulletin will expire it)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=2175159

It worked!

I guess the hour time limit is to avoid taking up too much server space?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Gringo Bandito

tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It worked!

I guess the hour time limit is to avoid taking up too much server space?
i'll see if I can extend that to 24 or so
Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattygabe's Tacoma Gallery
Not to take over your thread, but with the custom Google search, the address it uses in the address bar I don't think ever expires, it is up-to-date. So, you might not see the exact same search over time, but it will return similar results for longer than 1, 6 or 24 hours for sure.

For instance, I just searched for the basic string "bumper ball":
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/alt...rches.html#922