1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can we sticky the 2nd gen hard start reasons?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by Bishop2Queens6, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jan 21, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    We have seen in the second gen section multiple threads on the second gen hard start, long crank, when new or when I disconnected my baterry for so and so reason. In the past 2 weeks alone I counted 3 threads on people seeking answers to the hard start.

Can we sticky why 2nd gen's have a hard long crank when new or after you disconnect the battery? The following reason was explained to me by a good friend who is a certified Toyota tech and is a regular tuner on my.is

"Believe it or not, this is a fairly common issue to new vehicles or even when you pull your battery cable to reset the computer.

What happens is that the factor default setting for the A/F ratio runs rich causing hard starts, that is where you are getting your long cranks from. The vehicle computer needs to learn the ideal A/F ratio for you area, driving style and habits which does take time, a few thousand miles.

When ever I go from my flat land by the ocean to my local mountains which exceed 6000 ft elevation, I get hard starts when I'm in the hills. The computer is used to more air then it normally gets. It's using a circumstancially rich A/F ratio.

Hopefully this clarifies things."

To Top