1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'Bold' thread title for new posts/jump to first unread post possible issue

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by xJuice, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Mar 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    xJuice

xJuice [OP] My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Scenario:

Say I go to my User CP (on let's say PC 1), and a thread (let's call it Thread 1) is bold indicating there are new unread posts in it. I click the 'go to first new post button' and the pages takes me to the first new unread post and I read all remaining posts. Go back to CP and post is un bold.

Now I go on to PC 2 later in the day. Pull up my User CP and it will have Thread 1 in bold again, whether or not there's a new post or not since I last viewed it on PC 1. Click on 'first unread post' and it takes me to the same post as earlier in the day on PC1 took me to. At this point all I can do to see if something has a new post is look at the time of last post and try to match it up with when I think what time it was I was last on PC 1.

Now on to the next day it seems to reset itself and all the bold threads are ones which truly do have new posts unread by the user. Any combination of computer or browser will yield the same results. Other forums seem to update in real-time in relation to the user, not by locale.

Is there any way to make it update more realistically instead of per computer per day...? I have some of my own unprofessional ideas of what's happening, but I'll just let the experts chime in. Maybe it's to help save resources on the server, I dunno.

2. Mar 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    It currently keeps track via cookies. That's why if you switch computers, it changes. I'll see if there's a more consistent way to set it without weighing down the server...

3. Mar 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    what language was that?:eek:

4. Mar 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    xJuice

xJuice [OP] My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Ah, I thought it might be the cookies. That'd be great if there's an easy way to do it, I know this forum has quite a bit more volume though than some I'm thinking of.

5. Apr 1, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    Enigmaaron

Enigmaaron All your soul are belong to us

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    I agree it would be nice if it worked across computers/devices (I see the same behavior in tapatalk). It does catch up after a while though, not sure how long but if I go at least a couple hours before checking in on another device it has the unread posts at the right spot. It works good on another forum, but they have much less volume that this site. Totally understand if it's an issue of overloading the servers with the number of members this site has to fix it.

To Top