Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma World Site News > Site Suggestions

Notices

'Bold' thread title for new posts/jump to first unread post possible issue

Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
'Bold' thread title for new posts/jump to first unread post possible issue

Scenario:

Say I go to my User CP (on let's say PC 1), and a thread (let's call it Thread 1) is bold indicating there are new unread posts in it. I click the 'go to first new post button' and the pages takes me to the first new unread post and I read all remaining posts. Go back to CP and post is un bold.

Now I go on to PC 2 later in the day. Pull up my User CP and it will have Thread 1 in bold again, whether or not there's a new post or not since I last viewed it on PC 1. Click on 'first unread post' and it takes me to the same post as earlier in the day on PC1 took me to. At this point all I can do to see if something has a new post is look at the time of last post and try to match it up with when I think what time it was I was last on PC 1.

Now on to the next day it seems to reset itself and all the bold threads are ones which truly do have new posts unread by the user. Any combination of computer or browser will yield the same results. Other forums seem to update in real-time in relation to the user, not by locale.

Is there any way to make it update more realistically instead of per computer per day...? I have some of my own unprofessional ideas of what's happening, but I'll just let the experts chime in. Maybe it's to help save resources on the server, I dunno.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
It currently keeps track via cookies. That's why if you switch computers, it changes. I'll see if there's a more consistent way to set it without weighing down the server...
Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
It currently keeps track via cookies. That's why if you switch computers, it changes. I'll see if there's a more consistent way to set it without weighing down the server...
Ah, I thought it might be the cookies. That'd be great if there's an easy way to do it, I know this forum has quite a bit more volume though than some I'm thinking of.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
I agree it would be nice if it worked across computers/devices (I see the same behavior in tapatalk). It does catch up after a while though, not sure how long but if I go at least a couple hours before checking in on another device it has the unread posts at the right spot. It works good on another forum, but they have much less volume that this site. Totally understand if it's an issue of overloading the servers with the number of members this site has to fix it.