Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma World Site News > Site Suggestions

Notices

Searching these forums

Old 07-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Searching these forums

Issue with searching TW is the following.

For instance:
I wanted to search for "bike mounts". I type "bike mounts" in the search field.

I get results for everything with "bike" and/or "mounts". SO instead of getting useful links I get things like shock mounts, Harley motors, mounting sex positions but nothing I need.

SO I searched "fender flares", I get everything with "fender" and/or "flares". So you can imagine the tons of results I get.

Looking at the resulting search terms indicates it is clearly searching the words separately. i.e. bike, mounts or fender, flares. Putting a + between the terms does nothing.

This is the only forum I go to that does this. All other forums I go to if you search for a term of more than 1 word it searches it as a single term (both or more words together).

What is the secret to searching a complex phrase to weed out the useless results?

P.S. Searching "searching forums" results in "debadging '04" and "GMC Yukon" as the first 2 results?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Shaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shaun
Shaunsquatch's Tacoma Gallery
I usually have better luck using site specific searches with google. Do a regular google search and add site:http://www.tacomaworld.com to it.

I am using the following link to as an example, no offense intended, nor making fun, its just useful to show you exactly what I mean.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bike+rack+site%...acomaworld.com
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I know what you're saying, I've searched for the exact thread title and at times not even found the thread. So it really sucks when you are doing a general search.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
JBloc is on a distinguished road
JBloc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I know what you're saying, I've searched for the exact thread title and at times not even found the thread. So it really sucks when you are doing a general search.
This.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
When I search for something,I use google. Then I type in the name of the forum. Then I hit "more from Tacomaworld.com" after results pop up.

Example:
Motor mounts tacomaworld

If youre getting results u don't want to see,just use "-" and it will not include that

Example:

Motor mounts -suspension -shocks -struts -spring tacomaworld
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
And another well placed thread in the 2nd Gen section...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
And another well placed thread in the 2nd Gen section...
And where is the technical support forum?

Feel free to move it, this seemed more appropriate than the vendor forums, off-topic, regional....

So glad I wasn't alone.
I hadn't thought of the google method.

For the bike mounts I was hoping to find ones that you just stick the front or rear tires in a slot. While my bike and my wifes bike has quick release forks, our daughters do not. So I wanted to find something that worked on everything.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/site-suggestions/
Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You have to use the advanced search function. Use one word over 3 letters and select titles only. Also limit your search to certain sections.

For bike mounts, only look in the hobby sections. You can also google "Tacoma bike mount" then search the brand on here to see if anyone has a set.

None of this is rocket science man. Use the extra features and you will find what you need.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The google search function in the search feature is 10 x better than the software search function.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The google search function in the search feature is 10 x better than the software search function.
Would it be possible to put a "Google Search" search box below the standard one? They did that on the motorcycle forum that I signed up for and it is handy.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Would it be possible to put a "Google Search" search box below the standard one? They did that on the motorcycle forum that I signed up for and it is handy.
Um, it is there.
Attached Thumbnails
Searching these forums-googler-search.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Um, it is there.
I'll give myself the for that one.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #16

Marines:
Edited with pic
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Edited with pic
I knew it was there, I just wanted to see if everyone else knew
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #18

Marines:
riiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Old 07-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
riiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Hey, it was worth a shot...

It's Monday and I gave up coffee completely after 14 years, I'm not thinking clearly
Old 07-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #20

Marines:
Quote:
Hey, it was worth a shot...

It's Monday and I gave up coffee completely after 14 years, I'm not thinking clearly
I'm taking the decaf route for a while.