Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma World Site News > Site Suggestions

Notices

Military Discount?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Military Discount?

what about a military discount page. where Vendors offer a military discount if they send them a email from their military email account
Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondwa View Post
what about a military discount page. where Vendors offer a military discount if they scan their CAC card or send them a email from thier military email account
u do realize it is against the law to scan or duplicate your CAC, right?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
ok what about if we send them an email from our military email?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
u do realize it is against the law to scan or duplicate your CAC, right?
If what you're saying is true, then many base organizations such as MPF, and TRICARE routinely break the law.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
If what you're saying is true, then many base organizations such as MPF, and TRICARE routinely break the law.
I guess that falls under.. Do as I say, not as I do.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoD copying an ID is different than the local dealership copying it. they are the ones that make them...some other organization getting ahold of them and dupping IDs for militants to get on base is the issue
Old 01-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #7

Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
Ok what about sending a email from your military account to them? would that work
Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondwa View Post
Ok what about sending a email from your military account to them? would that work
i would think....depends on what they want. i would never let them copy my ID though. it used to be more important when ur social was on the green card IDs, but none the less. i used mine today at the Charleston aquarium for $20 off a yearly membership and they saw the ID, but it never left my posession
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
CAC's don't work that way; they're PKI certs. The private key can't be duplicated as the private key is set into the card and isolated from the outside world (it can't be pulled off even by the user). You have public key DOD certs that the page asks for to authenticate you as DOD. It doesn't pull anything off the card that's not public-readable (your public key).

You would basically send a digitally signed message which would prove you're a DOD employee. I believe the only way for them to verify it though would be for them to be a member of the same Root Certificate Authority (DOD).

http://www.wondercrypt.com/pkifaq.htm
Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator

[quote=Evil Monkey;1361240]CAC's don't work that way; they're PKI certs. The private key can't be duplicated as the private key is set into the card and isolated from the outside world (it can't be pulled off even by the user). You have public key DOD certs that the page asks for to authenticate you as DOD. It doesn't pull anything off the card that's not public-readable (your public key).

You would basically send a digitally signed message which would prove you're a DOD employee. I believe the only way for them to verify it though would be for them to be a member of the same Root Certificate Authority (DOD).

http://www.wondercrypt.com/pkifaq.htm[/quote]

u can still send emails from army AKO w/o a CAC. same as i could log in w/ my username/password to my navy box and send an email from there thats not signed or encrypted
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
u can still send emails from army AKO w/o a CAC. same as i could log in w/ my username/password to my navy box and send an email from there thats not signed or encrypted
Eventually that will go away though. It's a DOD mandate. Our facility is almost entirely PKI enabled now. Eventually all DOD sites will be strictly PKI enabled. It's much more secure than username/password and it's more convenient. No more passwords to remember and change every 60 days.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Eventually that will go away though. It's a Navy mandate. Our facility is almost entirely PKI enabled now. Eventually all DOD sites will be strictly PKI enabled. It's much more secure than username/password and it's more convenient. No more passwords to remember and change every 60 days.
yes, that is the case in chas/spawar too, but i'm an admin
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:
yes, that is the case in chas/spawar too, but i'm an admin
I am as well (SSC Pac). Most of our users will be NMCI but there are still lab computers that need username/password control.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I am as well (SSC Pac). Most of our users will be NMCI but there are still lab computers that need username/password control.
we have to log into remote AAA servers w/ user/pass as well as remote BUs at 26 navy med sites now....SSCA!!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
So yea, back on topic break. Good idea for the site suggestion. Resume discussion.