Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   SlimCubby (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/slimcubby/)
-   -   Installed my bi-xenon SlimHID kit (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/slimcubby/207908-installed-my-bi-xenon-slimhid-kit.html)

S7ICKlVlAN 03-04-2012 02:15 AM

Installed my bi-xenon SlimHID kit

First off, I gotta give a huge shout to Paul for putting together a killer kit, with killer service & price point.

My kit arrived in the mail this morning and having anticipated it, I had all the equipment/tools I needed to install so I charged into it.

Tools/Materials
10mm Gearwrench (Removal/installation of battery hold down, washer fluid tank, factory grounding points, negative/positive battery terminals)

12mm Socket (Removal/installation of positive battery post nut for add-on accessories)

Flathead screw driver (Removal of plastic clips for radiator shroud)

Industrial Velcro (installed on the bottoms of the relay, ballasts & resistors/inverters?)

Needle nose pliers (Removal/installation of factory clip that holds headlamps in housing)

I followed the instructions by CableTec listed here: Link

Tips
1) I did remove the battery completely to give me more room to mount the ballast/inverter. I would recommend this to expedite the install.

2) I disconnected the washer fluid tank and swiveled it as far out of the way as possible to allow for more room to remove the headlamp. Once you've removed the halogen/installed the HID lamp you can put this back.

3) I mounted the ballasts on vertical surfaces to minimize the chance for moisture penetration. On the driver side, I mounted to the fender near the battery. On the passenger side, I mounted to the radiator support. I determined the mounting locations based on the grounding points which limit where you can mount the ballasts due to wire length.

4) Mounting the ballasts and determining the locations takes the longest. Everything else is just a matter of plugging and refastening.

5) I used the factor grounding points. Driver side is near the battery. Passenger side is to the right of the washer fluid tank, towards the engine block.

6) Test fit all of your wires/connections before finalizing your ballast mount location. Make sure all the wires that need to be plugged into the ballast can reach the connection point.

7) The first and last thing that you remove/install should be the negative battery terminal.

I ordered the 8000k kit to match the LED parking lights and DTRL's I ordered from CSJumper. In retrospect, I think the 6000k would've worked as well. Ah well, it still looks sick and the light output is head & shoulders better than the stock halogens. Once I buttoned everything up, I fired up the Taco and tested both the low/hi beams and everything worked flawlessly.

I would highly recommend this kit to anyone looking to retrofit to HID without using a projector kit. The price kicks ass and Paul is awesome with his customer service. Needless to say, the quality of the kit will only make itself apparent in time, but based on what I've seen of it (I do commercial lighting for a living), the components are high quality and should provide excellent service. I lucked out and did not need to adjust the height of my lights. If you do have to do this, I would recommend you err on the safe side and aim low.

Unfortunately I didn't take a whole lot of pics of the install due to the following reasons: It went really fast, and it was raining. I can go back and take pics of the mounting locations if you really need to see them. Here are the pics of the before & after:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/IMG_7391.JPG
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/IMG_7393.JPG
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/IMG_7395.JPG

I have not taken a light/lumen meter to it, but I would say a 50% increase in photopic lumen levels would not be surprising with the visual effect lumens being even higher due to the color temperature.

slimcubby 03-29-2012 09:31 AM

Beautiful write up thanks for the post and feedback of my kit. :)

If you are on Facebook please like our page and feel free to post any pics up on your page tagging us. ;)

S7ICKlVlAN 03-29-2012 11:00 AM

Will do Paul. Thanks brutha.

COMAtose HI 04-09-2012 08:19 PM

thanks for the write up op!!! buggah looks cherry!!!

Redneck08 05-01-2012 09:37 PM

Did you go with the 35w or the 55w? I'm going to be putting HID's in my 2012 pretty soon and was wondering. Do you have any pics at night? Thanks bro

slimcubby 05-01-2012 09:47 PM

redneck he went with the 35w. Not sure if you already bought a pair but if not I am holding the last Group Buy for May and not having one for a few months. So if your needing a kit don't miss out! :)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...5-15-12-a.html

stolleee 08-02-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimcubby (Post 5023753)
redneck he went with the 35w. Not sure if you already bought a pair but if not I am holding the last Group Buy for May and not having one for a few months. So if your needing a kit don't miss out! :)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...5-15-12-a.html

Hello,
New to the forum and new Tacoma owner. I sold my BMW 135 and stepped into a Tacoma. I am interested in the Xenon bulbs as this is something I cannot give up and have to own.

Are there any specials that I need to know about like the expired group buy that I missed out on?

slimcubby 08-03-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stolleee (Post 5476865)
Hello,
New to the forum and new Tacoma owner. I sold my BMW 135 and stepped into a Tacoma. I am interested in the Xenon bulbs as this is something I cannot give up and have to own.

Are there any specials that I need to know about like the expired group buy that I missed out on?

stolleee, if you want to get a kit for your truck I am offering free shipping for the month of August through my website. Go to www.slimshidxenonsource.com and add the kit to the cart and use coupon code "FREESHIP" to get free shipping. If you need to know what kit fits your vehicle you will want the H4 Bixenon kit for the headlights and H10 single beam for the fogs. If you have the newest model Tacoma your fogs will be H11.

Sandman614 08-03-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimcubby (Post 5482691)
stolleee, if you want to get a kit for your truck I am offering free shipping for the month of August through my website. Go to www.slimshidxenonsource.com and add the kit to the cart and use coupon code "FREESHIP" to get free shipping. If you need to know what kit fits your vehicle you will want the H4 Bixenon kit for the headlights and H10 single beam for the fogs. If you have the newest model Tacoma your fogs will be H11.

:proposetoast:

Kurtztaco12 08-05-2012 07:28 PM

Which kit fits the 2012 headlight and fog? Website does not 2012 listed.

Kurtztaco12 08-05-2012 07:29 PM

Correction : "have the 2012 listed."

NtacomaR 08-05-2012 07:35 PM

Not trying to sell another company. but got my HIDs from HIDSRUS.com and it was incredible quality. perfect fitment. great color

slimcubby 08-05-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtztaco12 (Post 5493775)
Which kit fits the 2012 headlight and fog? Website does not 2012 listed.

The bulb size is H4 Bixenon for the headlights and H11 Single Beam for the fogs. :)

stolleee 08-06-2012 06:17 AM

Just ordered.....thanks for the help

06yfz450ridr 09-05-2012 10:48 PM

Not to be an ahole or anything but the 55w ballasts are not even 50w if you go off of the working amps and voltage it would be Around 40. But my mom has the same slim style 55w kit with the external igniters and are still pretty bright compaired to my 55w's. Also it's nice you offer the h4 3000k bixenons. They are very hard to find I just recently put those in my headlights they shine way better than 8000k

ToyoTaco12 03-10-2013 10:14 AM

Just installed my HIDs on my 2012 Tacoma and was wondering if anyone has problems with their high beam. My high beam is just all scattered everywhere and is pretty much useless.

slcsez2000 10-01-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyoTaco12 (Post 6565937)
Just installed my HIDs on my 2012 Tacoma and was wondering if anyone has problems with their high beam. My high beam is just all scattered everywhere and is pretty much useless.

Bump, I was thinking of doing this to my 2012. Yours still scattered or did you figure it out? We don't have projector lenses so that would be just my guess

WOODEX M.E. 10-18-2013 08:24 PM

Is anyone around selling a complete kit for an HID/Projector installation. Like I mean the WHOLE thing, not just parts and then you do it yourself. I have been thinking about this just because I don't want to tear my current lights apart and bake them in the oven. But I would like a TRUE projector HID setup like in my old BMW. Anyone got any idea?vI know its gonna run about $450-$700 if it were an option.

slimcubby 10-21-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOODEX M.E. (Post 7588385)
Is anyone around selling a complete kit for an HID/Projector installation. Like I mean the WHOLE thing, not just parts and then you do it yourself. I have been thinking about this just because I don't want to tear my current lights apart and bake them in the oven. But I would like a TRUE projector HID setup like in my old BMW. Anyone got any idea?vI know its gonna run about $450-$700 if it were an option.

I would think you can buy aftermarket headlight housings that come with projectors and then install an aftermarket HID kit like mine to achieve this. I am not sure if anyone out there sells a projector headlight with the HID kit but I could be wrong.

Cancer FREE 12-20-2014 11:25 PM

HID

I too just got done installing my HID and am having the same problem with my high beam being scattered all over the place… Hopefully someone can figure this out…