Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Sockmonkey

Notices

Vinyl install tips

Old 12-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Vinyl install tips

Here is what I send with all orders.

(weather/temperature plays a big part in this, as well)

Vinyl Installation Instructions
It looks like a lot of steps, but there is really not much to this. Just want to be thorough
To apply the vinyl lettering or decal/s, you will first need a couple of things.
· A squirt bottle or something to get water onto application area
· A squeegee of some sort. Drivers license or credit card will work in a pinch, but I would only use it on the application tape (see below).
In the squirt bottle, add some water. On a cool day maybe some warm water. What this does is create some lubrication for the surface so that the vinyl will not fully stick until you get ready. This helps you arrange it the way you like. The water also makes it easier to squeegee out any air bubbles that may exist.

1. Clean the area that you want to apply vinyl.

2. Squirt water on spot where you just cleaned

3. Peel backing paper from vinyl (the thicker part with brand name printed)

4. Holding the “application tape” (opaque tape on top of lettering), place the vinyl onto the spot you want it. Move it around, if necessary, but don’t press down on the vinyl yet. (If it gets a little stuck before you want it to, you can pull quickly on the tape and it will let loose. *

5. When you have it in the spot you like, take the squeegee and start to press the vinyl onto the vehicle. The squeegee will aid in removing the water and bubbles along with it. **

Leave the app tape on until you feel it has stuck pretty good (usually after a couple of passes with squeegee) then peel away app tape slowly. The app tape is not that sticky, so it will come off easy

* The application tape is usually parallel to the vinyl to help with alignment

**A good tip here is to squeegee the shortest distance for the air/water to travel. (I.e. if you start in the middle of the letters and go down first, then middle up it will be much easier to remove water and air bubbles. After that, you can work the water/air out whichever way seems best.

Do not get the backing paper wet. (The part with the brand name on it)
It will stick to the decal and ruin your day.

there are other methods to putting these on.

if you guys have any tips to add, post'em up

"this helps" or "don't do this!" tips, or even what you ended up using as a squeegee.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was amazed how well this method worked, was even able to start over a few times.

I used a brand new and well made plastic window ice scraper. Was in Auto Zone looking for a small squeegee and thought with winter coming, I needed a good new ice scraper for the Taco. They thought I was strange holding the scrapers up like I was checking for straightness down the shaft of an arrow....

I was very careful using it as to not damage the decal. Also used my drivers license to help finish the job.

Worked great and I have a new scraper to boot...........

All the bubbles came out but 1 very small one and I used a needle to 'pop' it and worked the rest of the air out. I will probably be the only one that would ever be able to see it.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

another reason to use a water solution is that, when it heats up outside, the water will evaporate away and leave no more bubble

Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Those tips didn't work for me . I tried installing both pieces of vinyl that you sent me and failed with both.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
another reason to use a water solution is that, when it heats up outside, the water will evaporate away and leave no more bubble
to think back, it was water that came out when I popped that bubble, probably could have left it eh?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
I failed with the first one I tried this way, but it was like 40 degrees outside. I think that had something to do with it. When I get the new ones in the mail I'm going to put the truck in the garage and do it so it's warmer. Pics when I get the new decals. Thanks for great service so far

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
TacoEnthusiast is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
TacoEnthusiast's Tacoma Gallery
I know when i'm applying other adhesives (e.g. screen protector on cell phone, clear mask to protect from rock chips on hood) I used a mixture of some 93% rubbing alcohol and water, maybe 10% alcohol. Do you think this would work on the vinyl for the front valence?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #8

i removed the parts about adding soap to the water...

alot of times the wrong soap can make it not want to stick for a little while.

just a squirt bottle with water will work just as well

Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Good info, this is how the window tint guys do their work.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
tips on removing bedside decals ?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
bump

Old 04-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
sac130e is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
Bump

Old 04-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #14

peel off?

no advise on how to take off, only put on...."install tips"

Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
west is on a distinguished road

Name: West
west's Tacoma Gallery
I used the masking tape method after destroying the decal with the wet method and it worked alot better, you can reposition as many times as you like. It is a lot less risky and does not take time to dry. I did it with a 3rd brake light decal. It came out perfect. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRkURz3GrDQ

Old 04-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #16

wet method is not risky at all because, the backing paper should have been peeled away before any water comes close to it.

you will still get bubble you cannot work out with a dry method...i do not recommend it unless you do it for a living.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
ElNacho will become famous soon enoughElNacho will become famous soon enough

Army: 716th MP BN
Name: David
ElNacho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoluluTaco View Post

Got these diagrams from WolfPack 5150, huge help, if your wondering exactly where to put your bed stickers you get from SockMonkey. I was....
I got mine yesterday and was hoping something like this was available. HUGE Thanks