Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Sas?!?!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #61
Will Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Will Prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Ya there were some awesome vehicles there, did you get any pictures of the Sheriiffs buggy? I just found out about the bbq because one of the guys I work with asked If i could bring his grill for him in my truck. They seem like some cool people. Next year I'll have to bring my samurai and see what it can do on the ramp.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #62
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I grabbed some pics of John's Sheriff Buggy. He's a volunteer Sheriff, so he build it all from scratch so he can use it. It's pretty slick. I always drool over it when I take a trip down to his shop.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:04 AM   #63
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Did you have that D44 re-built?

You already had a 6" lift before the swap too, right? (I don't remember if you did or not )
had almost 3 inch susp 3 inch body, sas needed about 4.5" lift

D44 was rebuilt before i got it because the seller was gonna SAS but he blew up his motor and decided to part it out and start new
Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #64
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Daily driven SAS on built 60's with 40" tires. It can be done but you pay a price to do it right.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #65
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc View Post
Daily driven SAS on built 60's with 40" tires. It can be done but you pay a price to do it right.

I think you need lower gearing

What do you have for up travel in the front?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #66
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrian View Post
dont get angry cuz you spent all your money on that. It appears you probably have never been to a junk yard. there is used vehicles there you can get cheap parts off of. If you can weld you can do his no problem. if you can rebuild your front axle, there is more money saved. on pickups you can take rear springs mixed and matched (30 bucks at the junk yard) and place them up front. datin fab has all of trail gear, all pro (ect) parts cheap you can instal late model fj40 cruser rotors with 89-95 v-6 pickup calipers for awesome brakes, (about 160 bucks) you would need a high steer system and a driveshaft fabbed roughly 200 bucks. shocks its your hoice lets say hundred bucks. the axle you can junk yard it for 100 bucks. with some welding and a little metal its a swap. it can easily be done. Will it be as pretty as yours? nope. Will it be be as functional, close. and the cost super cheap. it can be done you dont even have to do the brakes. A complete toyota axle is just that. with some brake lines a steering system, springs and shocks thats an sas. why you are so opposed to it being possile to do it cheap i dont know.
I didn't read this whole thread but don't really know why your getting slammed by a few, anyway I agree with you on alot of your post, you CAN save a shit load of money by doing yourself. But you really do have to be on your game as far as mech. ability goes (wrenching, welding etc & knowing what your looking for, I have no problem at all going to a wrecking yard for parts for a project, I'm getting ready to build my own leaf pack for the rear of my 2000 TRD which will be a mix of my stock springs in addition of some Ford springs for lift & strength (seeing how toyota really dropped the ball with the current setup) & I'm pretty sure I can "pretty them up" with a can of paint, hey if money wasn't an issue it'd be great to just drop it off at a reputable shop & pick up when done..just my $.02...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
You clearly, do not know what the hell you're talking about. Leave this section, you are bringing nothing but lies. You are just assuming you can find all these parts, you have NO IDEA what goes into SAS. Just because your boyfriend on tv said it can be done, doesn't mean anything.

My SAS doesn't look pretty, if you want a pretty looking SAS, talk to Wyatt, he spent over $60,000. Extremely function, and excellent looking.

You're making yourself look like a fool, It's entertaining really.

Dude, relax man no need to insult, over $60,000 for an SAS !! who's the fool now, just sayin'....
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #67
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Dude, relax man no need to insult, over $60,000 for an SAS !! who's the fool now, just sayin'....
Yea but go through wyatt's build, His truck is worth every penny that was put into it. and its the most capable taco i have ever seen. Its still daily driven and all.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #68
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no fool for doing and spending what I did on my truck. This taco is not just a Sas. It's a daily driver, can go across country and back without issue, can fly across the desert and can tackle some of the hardest rockcrawling trails there is and still cruise down the freeway at 80+. It has more than paid for itself and no fool would have built it. Just sayin'
Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #69
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
I think you need lower gearing

What do you have for up travel in the front?

LOL. I can lift a front tire 48" off the ground before the rear tire comes off the ground.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #70
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Damn Wyatt!! let some air out of those things!!

Yeah, i did have a little too much air in the tires.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #71
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL. I can lift a front tire 48" off the ground before the rear tire comes off the ground.
Jeebus, you need like an 8' hilift. I was curious what you had for up travel though, how much shaft you have showing(of the shock )
Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #72
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
had almost 3 inch susp 3 inch body, sas needed about 4.5" lift

D44 was rebuilt before i got it because the seller was gonna SAS but he blew up his motor and decided to part it out and start new
Ooooo gotcha./

Quote:
I'm no fool for doing and spending what I did on my truck. This taco is not just a Sas. It's a daily driver, can go across country and back without issue, can fly across the desert and can tackle some of the hardest rockcrawling trails there is and still cruise down the freeway at 80+. It has more than paid for itself and no fool would have built it. Just sayin'
Same deal with my cousin's Ranger. It's a DD and we've done 80+ and done road trips in it. It's covered tough trails and it may not ride like a BMW, but considering all the stuff on it, it rides a lot better than most would expect. Especially with having leaf springs in the front.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #73
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Ooooo gotcha./

Same deal with my cousin's Ranger. It's a DD and we've done 80+ and done road trips in it. It's covered tough trails and it may not ride like a BMW, but considering all the stuff on it, it rides a lot better than most would expect. Especially with having leaf springs in the front.

I like how the Ranger turned out. Some well planned mods here and there make for a great package. You cousin did a great job.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #74
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Jeebus, you need like an 8' hilift. I was curious what you had for up travel though, how much shaft you have showing(of the shock )

Yeah, I use a 60" high lift and tie a ratchet strap to the axle if I have to lift it on the trail. I have it bump topped at an inch left. Don't want them to compress all the way.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #75
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like how the Ranger turned out. Some well planned mods here and there make for a great package. You cousin did a great job.
My cousin just planned out a lot of it. Hunter Offroad did most of the fab work for the SAS along with the custom front bumper.. Another shop did the gearing and lockers. And then another shop did the rear axle swap. The camper shell eventually will be coming off, and an exo-cage and custom high clearance tubed rear bumper will be going on and hydro assist steering. I gotta say, after all the visits to the shop, all the talk with John Hunter, and going through the list of parts, really helped me realize how much work a SAS is. The results are steller though, if done right. I remember going through your build at one point as well and was impressed by a lot of the fab work that went into yours.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #76
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm sorry man, I didn't mean to imply that your foolish for the investment, as I've told you before your truck is awesome, it was more to making the point that this guy didn't deserve to get slammed & insulted for wanting to SAS in a more economical manner (sounds better than cheap)

The "over $60,000" is the cost of the truck also isn't it ? (just assuming)

No insult to you meant bro', apologies
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #77
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it was more to making the point that this guy didn't deserve to get slammed & insulted for wanting to SAS in a more economical manner (sounds better than cheap)
I'm not disagreeing with you there, but there's a difference between economical and dangerous. What he's describing is scary.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #78
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you there, but there's a difference between economical and dangerous. What he's describing is scary.

Well , your right my bad I need to read the whole issue before typing out of my ass.. wheres that wall of shame so I can post myself there... facepalming myself....
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #79
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well , your right my bad I need to read the whole issue before typing out of my ass.. wheres that wall of shame so I can post myself there... facepalming myself....

Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #80
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
this may sound like a stupid question, pardon me lol im still learning. i got a 2wd prerunner and if i was to SAS it it would become all wheel drive, correct?