Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

SAS Quick Guide & Cost...

Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #21
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
had any prollems wheeling w/o one? mines on the otherside of the state lol
Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #22
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, my only concern so far has been the rear DS... I need to fab something up, or have a member over on ttora make me one, once he finally puts it into production...
Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #23
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Nah, my only concern so far has been the rear DS... I need to fab something up, or have a member over on ttora make me one, once he finally puts it into production...
i know who youre talkin bout on ttora, ive been worried about my trans though
Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
i know who youre talkin bout on ttora, ive been worried about my trans though
TG makes a good skid for the trans/tcase

http://www.trail-gear.com/tacoma#tacomacrossmember

Also, I updated, if anyone has questions or want's information on anything, let me know I'll post it up.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #25
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Updated, Pictures and information!! I'll get more picture once I get back to wheeling!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I sadly had a shop do it.. I was there time to time, but I've spent so much time reading about SA's, and I still don't know shit compared to the people over on TTORA or Pirate 4x4. I read every comment and thread they've created, 3x.

Oh btw, 9k? Dude you can do a SAS for $1,500...

I'm glad you put this detailed list together. There people that are out there saying you can do a SAS for $2500.00 are so far out in left field, they're past the parking lot. I get tired of seeing that and geting other people's hopes up an then they call me and ask about it and when I tell them it's going to be $15,000.00 + for me to do it they say, "what about the $2,500.00 deal sos and so said it would cost"? Hell, my two coilover shocks in the front cost that much alone.

For those of you that think you can do a safe and reliable SAS for $2,500, please keep those comments to yourself before you get some one killed out there. Be a little responsible.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
there is a company that offers a 3k SAS, but they dont include all costs of additional stuff, they cut the ifs, put up the SAS kit the axle and thats all, everything else is an extra cost, and thats where theyll get ya
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #28
BoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
BoostingMS6's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thread with a realistic idea of what to expect for converting to SAS. Not enough people (myself included) know the actual amount of work needed for a reliable, functional SAS.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostingMS6 View Post
Awesome thread with a realistic idea of what to expect for converting to SAS. Not enough people (myself included) know the actual amount of work needed for a reliable, functional SAS.

Here is what we did to my '05 Tacoma. Now granted, it is way out of the ball park as far as price is concerned but it will give you an idea of what is involved in doing a swap.

Click on picture to go to build thread.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I saw that same extreme 4x4 and thought, "Geez, that's cheap. Wonder why more people don't do it?" Great break out of all the costs. If it's $10k, I think I might go buy an f-toy, tube frame truggy, or some other dedicated wheeler. I'm really impressed with the work that goes into your trucks though to get them to that point. No way my wife would ever go for $10k on a SAS... heck, she probably would laugh at me if I wanted to buy an f-toy or other truggy, haha.

Cheers!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #31
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc View Post
I'm glad you put this detailed list together. There people that are out there saying you can do a SAS for $2500.00 are so far out in left field, they're past the parking lot. I get tired of seeing that and geting other people's hopes up an then they call me and ask about it and when I tell them it's going to be $15,000.00 + for me to do it they say, "what about the $2,500.00 deal sos and so said it would cost"? Hell, my two coilover shocks in the front cost that much alone.

For those of you that think you can do a safe and reliable SAS for $2,500, please keep those comments to yourself before you get some one killed out there. Be a little responsible.
Thanks again for all your help during my struggle on the build Wyatt!

And, it drives me absolutely insane when I hear people talking about a reliable SAS for under $2,500. I just want to laugh in there face. Which I do, but still. It's not just an axle and some grinding/welding. If it was EVERYONE and their retarded dog would have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I saw that same extreme 4x4 and thought, "Geez, that's cheap. Wonder why more people don't do it?" Great break out of all the costs. If it's $10k, I think I might go buy an f-toy, tube frame truggy, or some other dedicated wheeler. I'm really impressed with the work that goes into your trucks though to get them to that point. No way my wife would ever go for $10k on a SAS... heck, she probably would laugh at me if I wanted to buy an f-toy or other truggy, haha.

Cheers!
Yeah I spent enough, and I didn't even go the route everyone generally should go if they really SAS. Everyone should just go TONS. Because sooner or later you will want bigger and better shit.

Also, don't let your wife read awsumdc's build if she's scared at the 10k mark lol (his is like $60,000 ) But way WAY more functional and reliable than anything out there for a tacoma.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #32
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, don't let your wife read awsumdc's build if she's scared at the 10k mark lol (his is like $60,000 ) But way WAY more functional and reliable than anything out there for a tacoma.
Yeah, lol, she saw the pic of his truck all flexed out in this thread, and said, "Your truck doesn't do that does it?"

No honey... but it could!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #33
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Your more than welcome. Glad to see you have finished it and it works. You should go over to Rocksolidtoys and post up your build over there as well. Lot of good guys over there that would love to see your build.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #35
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
does any one, have any guides to converting a standard axle to hi-steer with flat top knuckles?

btw cost pertaining to this is pending :P
Old 02-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #36
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
does any one, have any guides to converting a standard axle to hi-steer with flat top knuckles?

btw cost pertaining to this is pending :P
Yeah you need flat top knuckles, tie rod/draglink, hysteer arms and studs.

Www.partsmike.com
Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #37
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc View Post
Your more than welcome. Glad to see you have finished it and it works. You should go over to Rocksolidtoys and post up your build over there as well. Lot of good guys over there that would love to see your build.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802YOTA View Post
Supra you are the man
Thanks,
Old 03-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #38
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

And, it drives me absolutely insane when I hear people talking about a reliable SAS for under $2,500. I just want to laugh in there face. Which I do, but still. It's not just an axle and some grinding/welding. If it was EVERYONE and their retarded dog would have one
i just had someone who worked at a toyota dealer tell me that a sas would be about $2500. i just kinda chuckled at him. maybe i should tell him that if he can promise me that price go ahead and do it
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
i just had someone who worked at a toyota dealer tell me that a sas would be about $2500. i just kinda chuckled at him. maybe i should tell him that if he can promise me that price go ahead and do it
Yeah tell him you'll give him $3,00 and he can have the extra $500 for profit. SAS only takes 5 hours too I'm sure.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #40
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah tell him you'll give him $3,00 and he can have the extra $500 for profit. SAS only takes 5 hours too I'm sure.
I heard it could be done in 4hrs at the walmart auto center