Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

#1 rule of an SAS

Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #21
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i was totally expecting the first post to be...."don't talk about SAS". lol

fight club moment

haha that would have been a way cooler post... REWIND
Old 03-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #22
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I stayed toyota up front, therfore i was able to run an e-locker <3

When i say Toyota, I mean built toyota, the axle has every upgrade available to get as much strength as possible, which is about at a stock Dana 60.

A d60 or 9" has more strength, and if i was running any bigger tires i would have to go that route. At that point i perfer an OX locker as its all mechanical, ARB have to much to em for my taste, unfortunatly with a 9", ARB is only selectable available, Wyatt will tell you I'm a puss, but I perfer 'simple minded'

In the rear 9" i run a detroit which works really well and makes for cool sounds while turning sharply at the mall.

I am guessing with lockers you want to be simple instead of
being complicated. Like with ARB you have air compressor and air tubes. The
less moving part the better.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #23
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post

I am guessing with lockers you want to be simple instead of
being complicated. Like with ARB you have air compressor and air tubes. The
less moving part the better.

Thats how I feel anyway, others dont mind. The simpler the better as far as I am concerned, if it wasnt impossible to steer locked, I would spool the front!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #24
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
That should be standard for ANY BUILD of any vehicle.

But - you know as much as I do, you see rigs that are slapped together 'on a budget' , they're ALWAYS the first ones to fall apart.
mine has been built on a budget. and its running just fine
Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #25
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok I am just trying to figure out
what to do when I get my sh!t regeard,
Looking to lock the front and back. Because I have sport version which is just
open. I am wondering if I should get ARB and back Or get ARB/ Detroit in the
back. So i know if the air compressor fails in the front I know I have a least
one locker.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #26
Rock Solid Toy

I would absolutely go detroit in back, i love it. If you can hamdle being a BAMF and squeaky tires every once in a while, Detroit is for you.

Quote:

Ok I am just trying to figure out
what to do when I get my sh!t regeard,
Looking to lock the front and back. Because I have sport version which is just
open. I am wondering if I should get ARB and back Or get ARB/ Detroit in the
back. So i know if the air compressor fails in the front I know I have a least
one locker.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #27
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up. Much appreciation. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #29
Rock Solid Toy

Quote:
The true Detroit locker is always engaged is that correct?
No. It locks under power.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #30
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats right! And you may only get one chance should you compete with cheap as your objective, cheap will ALWAYS equal scary.

Testing the limits of the vehicle by doing a 180 at 40 mph and hitting a fire hydrant . Seeing as I didnt roll, I would call it a success!
or a door prize...
Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #31
the full Monty

Quote:
No. It locks under power.
Ok so you lock it by a button? I am sorry for the questions just trying to get all the information on this stuff before i buy. Still learning.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #32
Rock Solid Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post
or a door prize...
Ahhh haha. Door prize! Get it? Awesome and WINNING!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok so you lock it by a button? I am sorry for the questions just trying to get all the information on this stuff before i buy. Still learning.
no. if you're just coasting along it isn't locked. if you're accelerating/holding speed, its locked.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
Rock Solid Toy

Quote:
No, its a mechanical locker, no wires, no lines, no nothing, just a ratcheting type system that engages when you're on the gas and when you le off it also lets off and the wheels spin free.

No problem on questions man, i was right there not too long ago, It all about the journey
Old 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #37
Rock Solid Toy

Quote:
SO when you turn a corner do you let off the gas. so you dont break a axle? Or is that what the sounds is you were talking about.
Well youd have to have a real shitty axle or a helluva lot of power to break an axle on a corner, but yes, you let off around corners for a smooth transition, or you gas it and chirp tires and leeaan!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #39
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the biggest rule was to buy your axle before taking the other off?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #40
Rock Solid Toy

Say youre doing an awful lot of planning for a Manwithoutaplan!