Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Why SAS and not just buy Power Wagon or Wrangler?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #41
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice cheap solid axle yota
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=78958.0

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80336.0
Way to many nice rigs on that site.I have to stop looking it's killing me
Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #42
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
A common misconception. This forum is littered with problems because people not having any problems rarely make their way to internet forums. On here, you see a disproportionately large number of the folks with issues.

Statistically valid random samples, like the stuff in Consumer Reports and JD Power, shows you have bad Chrysler products have it in terms of long term reliability compared to Toyota. Toyota isn't what it used to be, but it's still not as bad as the domestics.
I'm not disputing statistics just pointing out that statistics don't mean anything if you get a lemon. If I buy the worst car for mechanical defects and reliability and never have a problem, that means more to me than buying the best statistically and taking it to the dealer every week. I had 3 jeeps one of which was 14 years old and over a 158,000 on it same engine. On the flip side my Tacoma had to go to arbitration for a reaccuring problem. So that's my personal experience. That said I'm hoping my Tacoma sees many good years to come!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #43
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
you used to be able to tell the rich guys from the poor ones. The rich guys drove jeeps, and the poor guys drove yotas. Mostly because you had to put $10K into a jeep to get it even halfway decent off road. I've seen bone stock yotas out wheel lift jeeps with 35's, etc...

I see very few Toyotas with on board welders. That's pretty much required for Jeeps...
Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #44
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
I'm not disputing statistics just pointing out that statistics don't mean anything if you get a lemon. If I buy the worst car for mechanical defects and reliability and never have a problem, that means more to me than buying the best statistically and taking it to the dealer every week. I had 3 jeeps one of which was 14 years old and over a 158,000 on it same engine. On the flip side my Tacoma had to go to arbitration for a reaccuring problem. So that's my personal experience. That said I'm hoping my Tacoma sees many good years to come!
That's not the whole story. It's also how the lemons or problem vehicles are dealt with my the manufacturer. Domestics have a history of having to be taken to court to fix MAJOR problems and get recalls. Toyota has a much better reputation in that regard.

Of course, you're using anecdotal evidence to refute other anecdotal evidence...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #45
Malamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shedMalamute is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
Malamute's Tacoma Gallery
I had an '02 TJ. Stretched WB to 102" on 36" IROKs.(4:56 gearing f/r with ARB's) and I never had any mechanical issues whatsoever. This thing could go anywhere I was comfortable going. The reason I sold it was our family outgrew it. I have two sons and for us to go for a day we barely had room for a small cooler behind the back seat.

My boys are heavy into sports and we don't have time to wheel much any more but it's much easier to fit everyone(and our gear!) into the Taco. That was the main reason I sold an overbuilt Jeep and bought a stock Taco.

I've been thinking about an OME lift for a while now and I'm just not sold on the IFS for the type of terrain we usually see. I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a SAS for my '06. Let me repeat though, I was very happy with my Jeep, we just didn't have enough room in it!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #46
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
you used to be able to tell the rich guys from the poor ones. The rich guys drove jeeps, and the poor guys drove yotas. Mostly because you had to put $10K into a jeep to get it even halfway decent off road. I've seen bone stock yotas out wheel lift jeeps with 35's, etc...

I see very few Toyotas with on board welders. That's pretty much required for Jeeps...
I am far from rich and my Toyota cost more than all my jeeps combined. Never seen a welder on a jeep either

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
That's not the whole story. It's also how the lemons or problem vehicles are dealt with my the manufacturer. Domestics have a history of having to be taken to court to fix MAJOR problems and get recalls. Toyota has a much better reputation in that regard.

Of course, you're using anecdotal evidence to refute other anecdotal evidence...
Right. As I stated above I had to go to arbitration for a 200 dollar problem with toyota. Also as I stated above anecdotal evidence is all I or anyone else for that matter should really concern themselves with. Its what happens to you that matters most.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #47
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Dont get me wrong, I love Toyotas, but I have yet to see any Toyota even come close to my almost bone stock Jeep Wrangler where I run trails....short wheelbase, and weight on the back tires, makes a huge difference, and yes I have owned 4x4 Tacos as well still no contest.

Welders are for the guys who are trying to break stuff, Have you seen what these guys try?

Stock for stock the Jeep is far better than the Yota in low speed offroading and crawling, they both have their places, in the open Desert I cant even come close to hangin with a good Toyota, so kind of apples and oranges.

ALso the Jeep sucks on the street for handling and fuel mileage, basicly the Jeep is great for off road, but not so much on the street, and the Jeep is very reliable reguardless of what is being said, the 4.0 straight 6 is a workhorse with good low end torque but horrendous fuel mileage (about 14), so that being said I ONLY drive the Jeep to go offroad, I use my Tacoma for EVERYTHING else but technically my Tacoma is a Chevota due to the V8 LS1 in it, so thats not exactly stock either..
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #48
Adreenaleen is on a distinguished road
Adreenaleen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Most here are brand loyal. Personally I would rather have a Jeep for serious wheeling.
Did he just say he'd rather have a Jeep!!!???

Adreenaleen
Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #50
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
You would loose more money on selling your truck and getting a Jeep and fixing it up to where you'd want it to be than building an older Toyota. Plus It's better to have 2 vehicles in your stable when one breaks. When you wheel something will break, Toyota, Jeep, Ford, whatever. You can pick up a late '80 2wd for around $1000, get a Toyota front axle, transmission and transfer case for around $700 do a RUF/ Chevy 63's lift, $1200 or so on 529's and lockers, and 35's and you got a very capable rig that YOU built for pretty cheap. For a couple grand more upgrade axle shafts and get a second transfer case with 4.7 gear set and dual adapter with 37's and you'll have a nasty lil crawler.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #51
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
Well seeing as how the Heep is made for offroad and the tacoma is just a truck yet it is still being compared with the jeep and it's offroad capability is good to me. All around the tacoma does everything better than a jeep. Nothing beats driving a built yota IMO. Toyota and Heep reliability isnt even close and everyone knows that. RSBMG is happy about making it to 150k miles on his old jeep. At 150k miles on the yota its barely broken in.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #52
Stoffregen Motors is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Stoffregen Motors's Tacoma Gallery
You ever watch a Porsche cup race? Or how about a spec Miata race? Even though there is fierce competition going on amongst themselves, they are the most boring races to watch. You just know that all those cars are the same, like cookie cutter cars. And let's face it, it's got to be about the cars or we wouldn't want to watch.

Same with Jeeps, there are sooooooo many of them out there that are the very same, cookie cutter mall-crawler, how could you pick yours out in the parking lot? Jeeps suffer from bolt-on-itis whereby all of them end up the same.

If it doesn't matter how you do the job and you just want to get the job done, why not go wheeling in a helicopter? You'll get there faster.