Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Why SAS and not just buy Power Wagon or Wrangler?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Why SAS and not just buy Power Wagon or Wrangler?

I often think about if I were to SAS my truck in the future to make it more offroad capable, would I just be better off buying a vehicle like a Power Wagon or a Wrangler and lifting it?

It seems easier to lift a wrangler or power wagon and wouldn't it be just as capable as a SAS'd tacoma?

Is a SAS'd tacoma better than vehicles that already have a solid axle?

Or do people keep the tacoma and SAS it because they just love tacomas so much?

I freakin love my tacoma so dont hate on me or anything. I'm just trying to get some ideas about this if I ever needed to make this decision in the future.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
The taco won't break down like a jeep and has a better wheel base than a wagon. You could have very capable rigs whatever model it is, it will all come down to how much money you put into it
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Power wagons are too big forva majority of the trails. He'll, even the 2nd gen tacomas are a little hefty. Jeeps...are well...barbie drives one...
Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
I often think about if I were to SAS my truck in the future to make it more offroad capable, would I just be better off buying a vehicle like a Power Wagon or a Wrangler and lifting it?

It seems easier to lift a wrangler or power wagon and wouldn't it be just as capable as a SAS'd tacoma?

Is a SAS'd tacoma better than vehicles that already have a solid axle?

Or do people keep the tacoma and SAS it because they just love tacomas so much?

I freakin love my tacoma so dont hate on me or anything. I'm just trying to get some ideas about this if I ever needed to make this decision in the future.
because they're both notoriously unreliable. if i'm going to have a 4x4 to take me out to the boonies, i want it to be as reliable as possible so it will also bring me back home.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a Raptor than buy a Taco and mod it?

I'd rather have my Tacoma built the way that I want it, rather than something that came factory with all the toys.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the jeeps go, even tho they come with the SFA setup, it isn't super strong and definitely isn't made for intense wheeling without mods and replacements. Powerwagon is big.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both situations. My cousin did a SAS on his Ford Ranger and I was with during the whole process.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Most here are brand loyal. Personally I would rather have a Jeep for serious wheeling.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Most here are brand loyal. Personally I would rather have a Jeep for serious wheeling.
serious wheeling means very different things depending upon the terrain. i used to have a cj and a tj, and they are very capable (duh) - and with the short wheelbase very maneuverable. i also used to have an fj62 which was a beast - but very capable in other ways, especially with the weight - just depends upon the terrain. i would be nervous trusting a jeep to not break down...

i will say i miss my jeeps a lot, as they're a lot of fun to drive, especially in the summer with the top off. i wish they were more reliable, i'd probably own one. on the other hand, i wish toyota would make a convertible, old style fj... they'd sell a ton of those i think.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Why not stay with toyota and get an earlier model pickup that came with the SFA?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
85 4runner!!!. check out http://board.marlincrawler.com/ they have tons of crawlers already built and ready to hit the trail for way cheaper and less hassle then it would be to modify your current truck.

I picked up an 85 runner last year - came locked front and rear, 37's, marlin crawler box, premier power welder, headers and exhaust, winch, rock lights.. 168,000 miles. Only thing I did was replace the leafs with a 6" leaf kit. all for around 5k. Took it on rubicon, fordyce, deer valley and others and still havent had any problems with it.

You could easily dump way more than 5k into your taco to sas. Get a truck already built and keep your taco for more moderate wheeling. best of both worlds.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronlane View Post
85 4runner!!!. check out http://board.marlincrawler.com/ they have tons of crawlers already built and ready to hit the trail for way cheaper and less hassle then it would be to modify your current truck.

I picked up an 85 runner last year - came locked front and rear, 37's, marlin crawler box, premier power welder, headers and exhaust, winch, rock lights.. 168,000 miles. Only thing I did was replace the leafs with a 6" leaf kit. all for around 5k. Took it on rubicon, fordyce, deer valley and others and still havent had any problems with it.

You could easily dump way more than 5k into your taco to sas. Get a truck already built and keep your taco for more moderate wheeling. best of both worlds.
That is freakin awesome
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Because everyone has a jeep or a Power Wagon. Not everyone has a SAS'd Tacoma
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and nice Tacoma dude, makes me want to trade in mine and get a single cab just like yours lol.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
As far as the jeeps go, even tho they come with the SFA setup, it isn't super strong and definitely isn't made for intense wheeling without mods and replacements. Powerwagon is big.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both situations. My cousin did a SAS on his Ford Ranger and I was with during the whole process.

Looks like a nice rig. There is something to be said for those older Rangers and Explorers as a buildup platform. Lots of parts and knowledge base for them after 20 years production. And if you roll it over, another one is half the price of a Taco in same condition.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Why?

Because Toyota is better.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #19
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Why?

Because Toyota is better.

X2 and why buy it when you can build it
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #20
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Why not stay with toyota and get an earlier model pickup that came with the SFA?
cuz their super hard to find. well down here anyway...and they cost a boatload cuz everyone wants one haha...and not everyone wants to deal with a carb'd motor (unless u get an '85)