1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P-Tree's SAS Tacoma Build

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by P_Tree, Mar 26, 2011.

?

Leafs or Coils?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2011.
  1. Leafs

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Coils

41 vote(s)
    68.3%
  1. Jul 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I say legit.

May not have been done in a style which some of you other guys would prefer to mod out your own personal trucks, but we all mod to our own personal tastes.

2. Jul 1, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    Looks good to me

3. Jul 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    There is nothing wrong with the mods by any means.. It's the fact that he cheaped out on most stuff thus causing it to probably be unsafe and brittle.

OP, how did you align you axle so it is straight? What is your caster angle? Did you rotate your knuckles? How did you find a steering shaft for $10? You didn't use any ujoints on the steering shaft? What abour your hysteer arms? Shocks mounts? U-bolts? U-bolt flip kit? Shocks mounts? Powersteering box? New high pressure line steering? Yoke adapter for front DS? Gear oil fluid? Gasket? Axle seals? New bearings? Who made your knuckles? Stock axle shafts? Stock u-joints? How did you get shocks all around for $100?

These my friends, are questions that will never be answered, because this thread is a complete joke. $3000 SAS is a falacy.

4. Jul 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Dude just take pictures of a million different views of your front end just so it'll shut them up! Lol That's all it will take... P.S. Don't forget the spoon

5. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Meh... looks like the job got done but I would wear pillows, helmet, fire suite and invisiblity cape for safety. Oh... and your seatbelt.

Pirhett likes this.
  6. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    To add, I really hope you get many years of reliable miles.

7. Jul 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    Dirty5Thirty

Dirty5Thirty TW's BAD MF'er Squad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    Let's start with many weeks Dark Knight :p

8. Jul 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    firefightermdc

firefightermdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    el paso, tx
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4 TRD

This is the thing...no matter how many pics are taken some people are going to have a hard time believing this can be done for that amount of money. He couldve spent $7000 and tell everyone he made his budget. Either way does it really matter? I have a hard time believing the price range, not the fact that the job was completed, simply from the parts I'm picking out and what I'm spending for my own sas coming up. Does new stuff break too? Sure but the old saying goes....ya get what ya pay for.

9. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    P_Tree

P_Tree [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995 1/2 Tacoma
    Custom plate bumper Trail Gear sliders/rear bumper Magnaflow exhuast Warn M8000 Winch Rocklights 8" Hella Fogs Cargo Bed Basket Tint 35 12.5 KM2s SAS Swap CB and PA Hids 8k highs and lows Fogs 12 inch alpine sub Spec intake Blacked out Grill, Emblems, etc...
    Wow supra you sure take this personal. It beginning to amuse me. I did not put anything on my truck that is unsafe. Yeah I have stock shafts so what? They break and then I get better ones. Gear oil free from a buddy who was moving and needed to get rid of it. I don't have a front drive shaft yet. Might go square idk yet. I would take my swap over anyone Elise. My shit is built tough just like my front bumper. Yeah run your mouth cause you spent more so it must be better. Typical american idiot. Made a you bolt flip kit for the rear and just flipped the front. I made the steering shaft from an 83 pickup and my Tacoma one. Yes it break in case of a crash. Shock hoops were in the price for the shocks like I already said. You asked question that we're already answered. Shit breaks big deal. You make it better. No matter what is said I stick behind my build/truck. So keep waisting your breath and trying to put me to shame and my truck. Thought this was a helpfull forum and a place to swap stories not talk shit like we did in middle school.

10. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:27 AM
    P_Tree

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995 1/2 Tacoma
    Custom plate bumper Trail Gear sliders/rear bumper Magnaflow exhuast Warn M8000 Winch Rocklights 8" Hella Fogs Cargo Bed Basket Tint 35 12.5 KM2s SAS Swap CB and PA Hids 8k highs and lows Fogs 12 inch alpine sub Spec intake Blacked out Grill, Emblems, etc...
    Oh and all the axle seals and bearings came iin a kit. 200 each front and rear.

11. Jul 2, 2011 at 1:06 AM
    Kanikas

Kanikas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gilbert
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    '04 Dodge Cummins & TRD OR DubCab, yo!
    265-75R16 BFG A/T's and US-SPEC iPod adapter :[
    P Tree, congrats on getting the SAS done, man. I love how everyone doubted you and kept trolling, but you straight up shut them the F*CK UP! I love it! You took your time, but you got it done, and I love the fact that you took your time, it rustled everyone's feathers soooooo much hahahahaha.

I'm not sure if you did it properly or not, but here's to hoping your truck holds up well for the long future! Congrats on sticking to your guns and letting these pessimistic a-holes down :}

12. Jul 2, 2011 at 1:13 AM
    P_Tree

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995 1/2 Tacoma
    I have recites for everything and yeah somethings in life are free surprisingly. Some people have good nature.

13. Jul 2, 2011 at 1:14 AM
    P_Tree

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995 1/2 Tacoma
    Thanks man and to all those who believed in me and had my back.

14. Jul 2, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    Dirty5Thirty

Dirty5Thirty TW's BAD MF'er Squad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    Dude, it's like people are choosing between mommy and daddy in the divorce.

I'm gonna stick with Daddy, Papa Two-T's :D hahaha

15. Jul 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    I do, because I don't want these kids running around telling mommy and daddy that they can do a SAS for $3,000. Or people convincing their wives they can do a cheap SAS build when in all reality you can't. Unless you are like some guys on pirate/ttora that know what to look for and where to find it.

I had only asked all those questions because you never mentioned them in a build. A build thread is where you share EVERY thing you have put into your vehicle no matter what. Otherwise what good is a build thread?

16. Jul 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    I think you're taking your role as "guardian of the internet" a little seriously here. ;)

Folks who come to a BBS for info usually already have their "signal/noise ratio filter" calibrated, and the more they read, the more they do so.

So someone who's going to SAS their truck pretty much knows ahead of time whether they want a "Top Shelf" build or a "Monster Garage/Pick n' Pull" build, and which one suits them better based on their needs, pocketbook, age of their truck, and fab skillz.

So yeah, don't take a brand new 2011 Tacoma still in warranty and SAS it using 10 year old pick n' pull parts. Duh. :D

17. Jul 2, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Maybe, but there a several other people that still feel the same way and don't want people considering a SAS for 3k. Just like the idiot on extreme 4x4 said it can be done for $1500. Every 16 year old kid now wants a SAS for $1500.

18. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    P_Tree

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995 1/2 Tacoma
    You guys are doing great work keep it up! :) Lets see... First off im not 16 im 19, second i believe the thread says leafs or coils. I agree 1500 is a bit rediculous unless your dad owns a damn 4x4 shop. My pick'n pull is a tank compared to his top shelf turred. i do however have some better picks i believe and will put them up later.

19. Jul 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Aaaaaaaaaand P_Tree throws gasoline on the fire.

I'll leave you guys to your flame war, then. Carry on. :rolleyes:

20. Jul 2, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    erisman33

erisman33 Crawlin Over 1 Rock At A Time

Member:
    Pismo/Mendocino
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ton'd Taco
    1 Tons with 4 Wheel Disc
    Alright Im going to throw in my 2 sense.... I personally did a leaf sas taco... I think leaf are good but the taco frame isnt enough for leafs. You can buy some 48 inch long springs but the longer and softer you can get the springs the better flex you will have. Unless you feel like building a hanger that go past the front of the frame I WOULD BUILD A TRUCK WITH COILS if money wasnt a problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top