Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

how to remove and intall pitman arms?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
how to remove and intall pitman arms?

anybody know how to remove and install pitman arms, i messed mine up and this is onething i have no idea how to replace.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Hardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Hardwater's Tacoma Gallery
I never worked on a Tacoma's... But, on most every other vehicle, you need a pitman arm puller, you should be able to rent one from autozone. Spray the hell out of it with penetrating fluid first, some times they are a real pain in the arse to break free.

To install, you just slide it on and tighten to torque, which is usually rather high, so you'll need a large torque wrench.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
thanks, i have all the tools, just wasint sure how to get it back on the steering box haha, i should have all the parts in the middle of the week, ill post back with pics
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Hardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Hardwater's Tacoma Gallery
If you have your gear box off, just make sure that pitman arm goes on the same way it came off or you might get one hell of a head ache. Some pit man arms can go on 3 or 4 different ways, not sure about the Tacoma.

It may seem like a silly thing to say, but if you rebuilt your gear box it's easy to lose track of where it was.

It's all pretty simple, good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
the gearbox is still on the truck, i was gonna take a paint marker and make a line from the box to the arm and then duplicate it on the new one, although i thing the yota arms have splines that match up, 4 that are flat to be exact, i think
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
lol lemme get home this afternoon, if i remember
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
got pics, just an fyi, a gm tie rod end will not fit in a pitman arm with a hole for an fj80 end, no matter how much force you put behind it...oops

and it pops right off wih the puller

but here is pics of my steering set up, everything is above the leaf springs

Attached Thumbnails
how to remove and intall pitman arms?-kevins.jpg   how to remove and intall pitman arms?-kevins1.jpg   how to remove and intall pitman arms?-kevins2.jpg   how to remove and intall pitman arms?-kevins3.jpg   how to remove and intall pitman arms?-kevins4.jpg  

how to remove and intall pitman arms?-kevins5.jpg