Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

"2002" dc sas build. (Matic)

Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #21
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Its sure a looooooong way off for me, but my plans for axles are a 60 front 14 bolt rear. I like this combination because it will be really easy to find parts for, and it will be strong. I will compile all the other stuff separately over a long period of time. This is just how im thinking about doing it, but your plans sound good to.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Its sure a looooooong way off for me, but my plans for axles are a 60 front 14 bolt rear. I like this combination because it will be really easy to find parts for, and it will be strong. I will compile all the other stuff separately over a long period of time. This is just how im thinking about doing it, but your plans sound good to.
sorry for jacking matic's thread, but if your goin tons expect to lose clearance with anything tires less than 40's
Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #23
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i personally am in between tons and what i have.

what i have has no clearance issues
havent broke anything, but havent really had time to wheel with school
is easyish to find parts
easy to rebuild

the things against tons
initial price
clearance
gearing
and the fact that i have over 2k tied up in my gears and axles already, thats just parts, i did the labor
Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #24
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
One of the better most informative write ups I have seen lately.
Still considering my options, aint got nothin but time.

http://www1.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504902
Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #25
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to do the same thing but not the rear. But after a lot of thinking i decided to wait and do it right linked with 14" coilovers and a Diamond or ruff stuff axle. And it's not really in my budget right now so I'm putting it off for are few years.

I don't think you will need the rear axle it would be really hard to snap a axle shaft with the 2.7 and 35's unless you were running duel cases and really high gears. I would really look into your options before you pull the trigger and add about 1/3 to your budget because your going to need it.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #26
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
sorry for jacking matic's thread, but if your goin tons expect to lose clearance with anything tires less than 40's
I plan on going with 40s Similar to FAUX X 4 setup on pirate.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #27
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I was going to do the same thing but not the rear. But after a lot of thinking i decided to wait and do it right linked with 14" coilovers and a Diamond or ruff stuff axle. And it's not really in my budget right now so I'm putting it off for are few years.

I don't think you will need the rear axle it would be really hard to snap a axle shaft with the 2.7 and 35's unless you were running duel cases and really high gears. I would really look into your options before you pull the trigger and add about 1/3 to your budget because your going to need it.
I agree the rear will hold up fine but it's a really good price on the rock assault housing. Maybe I could just add trusses.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #28
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
I agree the rear will hold up fine but it's a really good price on the rock assault housing. Maybe I could just add trusses.
Yeah I thought about that too I bought some diff armor to protect the ring gear and I'm fabing up a skid for the 3rd I think that's enough.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #29

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
How you liking that 211? Aint had time to play with mine much but maybe i'll get a chance soon.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #30
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How you liking that 211? Aint had time to play with mine much but maybe i'll get a chance soon.
I love it I was burning some 3/8th plate steel yesterday and it was running some nice beads.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #31
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea. The fact that my truck is a pre runner is pretty obvious.
Did you just skip over the part where it says where I am looking for a 2.7 4x4 auto trans and xfer case?

I chose the rock assault rear and the chromos because I am working with a budget and they fit into that. And if I decide to not sell the rear, then I have a spare and a complete 3rd. And at $269, that's pretty cheap insurance and piece of mind in my book.

Thx for the power steering tip. noted. And I have looked over your sticky numerous times.

The plan for the build is to have an 80/20 rig and as time and money allow will be going to 100% off road.

Again "READ". Absolutely "NOTHING" is set in stone and "NOTHING" has been purchased. Talking with a tech at trail gear this week to go over my options. If they can't provide me with the options that I need then I will look at other options.
I read every word on your post, I didn't skip the fact that you're 2wd. I just forgot that 2wd is retarded, haha.

You want a rock assault rear, yet you will be running 35's which people do all the time with the stock rear on 35's, and even people with 37+. They still don't have any issues. The rear is strong as shit that's why most people end up leaving it in there.

As for your budget, how much we talking, because IMO you're wasting money on the rear end when you can be building the front, which is by far way more important.

And if you go with trailgear's design, are you choosing the ARB air locker package? Because I hope so
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #32
Okiyota is on a distinguished road

Okiyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
bump. thoughts?

Since you asked... 5" springs are not needed for 35's, unless you just want the truck to be really, really tall. See link for details...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sol...as-done-d.html

Not bagging the guy at all, just saying you dont NEED 5" springs to clear 35's, some people like there trucks tall, some don't, if you do that's cool, and the 5" springs will definitely do that. Just giving you some more info in case you were'nt aware of how tall 5" springs will make your truck.

A lot of people get misconstrued information/ideas/thoughts about the actual amount of height gain when going to a solid axle and running an off the shelf kit. A 3" toytec/OME/bolt in coilover lift will give you pretty close to an actual 3", however buying a trail gear (or who ever) solid axle "kit" with 3" springs will give you quite a bit more "actual lift" over where the truck sits at stock height.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #33

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiyota View Post
Since you asked... 5" springs are not needed for 35's, unless you just want the truck to be really, really tall. See link for details...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sol...as-done-d.html

Not bagging the guy at all, just saying you dont NEED 5" springs to clear 35's, some people like there trucks tall, some don't, if you do that's cool, and the 5" springs will definitely do that. Just giving you some more info in case you were'nt aware of how tall 5" springs will make your truck.

A lot of people get misconstrued information/ideas/thoughts about the actual amount of height gain when going to a solid axle and running an off the shelf kit. A 3" toytec/OME/bolt in coilover lift will give you pretty close to an actual 3", however buying a trail gear (or who ever) solid axle "kit" with 3" springs will give you quite a bit more "actual lift" over where the truck sits at stock height.
I don't find that very tall. As a matter of fact, that looks about right. Maybe some 37's would even it out a bit.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #34

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I read every word on your post, I didn't skip the fact that you're 2wd. I just forgot that 2wd is retarded, haha.

You want a rock assault rear, yet you will be running 35's which people do all the time with the stock rear on 35's, and even people with 37+. They still don't have any issues. The rear is strong as shit that's why most people end up leaving it in there.

As for your budget, how much we talking, because IMO you're wasting money on the rear end when you can be building the front, which is by far way more important.

And if you go with trailgear's design, are you choosing the ARB air locker package? Because I hope so
Absolutely ARB.
My budget is $10k and that was to include a dd as well. Possibly an older strait axle toyota or later 4 runner.
Now things are up in the air a bit and I am leaning towards 25 mpg dd and and older toyota 4x4/4 runner and even possibly a juggy/truggy/buggy of the samurai sort and just leaving my tacoma alone aside from purchasing a snorkel and tiregate for it.

That way I have something good on gas. Still got my powertrax tacoma and an around town/trail rig that I can fiddle with on the weekends.

I certainly am in no hurry to do anything at the moment and certainly open to suggestions. I havn't found myself on the trails lately because I just can't see damaging my prerunner as it's still in very good condition. It was also the first and only new truck I ever bought.
I'm a pretty patient fella and maybe something will fall into my lap. Who knows.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #35
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
I'd stay away from TG but that's just me.....
Old 08-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #36
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
It shows a lot of potential. I was dead set on SAS when I converted mine to 4x4 until I started crunching numbers and came to the conclusion that I did not have another vehicle to fall back on and that knowing me I would do something stupid w/ the SAS... The IFS is very strong and has held up well, it just sucks when it comes to flex...

I will SAS one day and I'm a fan of the yota axles... possible a FJ80 axle that has been flipped or go all out and get a diamond. Instead of dropping money in another rear axle, build the front/stock rear to be as bullet proof as possible.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #37
Okiyota is on a distinguished road

Okiyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't find that very tall. As a matter of fact, that looks about right. Maybe some 37's would even it out a bit.
Right on man, get to it then!! Was just giving some input in case you werent aware of how much lift the 5" springs would actually give. Looking forward to seeing this done, I'm in the process of building my 82 Toyota but as soon as its done the Tacoma gets the garage, its also a black double cab and will be getting a solid front axle.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #38

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Already way ahead of budget.
Just scored an auto tranny/tcase/front driveshaft from a rolled 2.7 litre tacoma access cab for $200. 109.000 miles.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #39

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Shit. Thats an electronic tcase. I don't think I want that. Gotta find a pre 2000 model for manual tcase. Oh well, still $1200 ahead of budget. Can't beat an A340F tranny with 109.000 miles for $100. WINNING!!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #40
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
wanna donate that no slip locker to a fellow south Carolinain?