Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

How to support truck while removing entire rear axle

Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Banned
Stout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant future

Navy: aviation machinists mate on the Lockheed p-3 orion
Name: Jason
Stout890's Tacoma Gallery
How to support truck while removing entire rear axle

Iv been trying to think of way to safely support my truck when I swap my rear axle for a different one. I usually jack my truck up by the axle but it doesn't go high enough to jack from any other point.. And my jack stands are not tall enough to reach the frame especially since I have an AAL in the back

Any ideas? Has anyone had to do this before?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I made stands for my jack stands out of 2-2x6 2-2x4 and a piece of 3/4" plywood on top. Put the 2x6 on opposite ends and the 2x4 connecting the two and the plywood on top. They have not given off any weird sounds the many times I have used them. I place the stands under the frame either in font of the front leaf spring mount or behind the rear leaf spring mount (doesn't matter). Just make sure you make the stand about 1.5" bigger then the base of your jack stand on each side.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I have several pieces of 4x6 of some sort of hardwood that I got from a pallet. They also stay in the back of my Taco in case they are needed on a trail.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
So why is this in the SAS forums?

But, I put like 8x8s under the jack stands. . To swap the axle all you need to do is remove the tires and lower one side of the axle all the way lowest you can go in order to unbolt the leaf spring, then vice versa. I've done it a few times on both on my axles. And of course you gota support the back portion of the frame with jackstands, but they don't need to be jacked sky high
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
just put blocks under the jackstands and use the floor jack for the axle