Notices

Dana Axles

Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #22
Crawlin Over 1 Rock At A Time
erisman33 is on a distinguished road

erisman33's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
there are plenty of rear end (ring and pinion) failures based on the size of the ring and pinion reported on 05+ tacomas. including myself (3 sets) and im running 35's. others have failures with stock size tires. do a search here and at other Toyota specific forums. an upgrade in axles is not silly. i'm just saying ,and in no way am i trying to knock you down. i would love to upgrade to a Hi-Pinion 1 ton rear.

Well you can get a 63 wms to wms 14 bolt out of a 3/4 ton surburban that would fit under the rear of a newer tacoma and not be extremely wide. Get six lug outter run half ton disc brakes and then you got the perfect axle. If you want more clearence shave it. Im running one on my 1st gen and i love it... .... High pinion is going to be hard to find unless you want to go with an Eaton rear end.....
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda curious about a price for a D60 front.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #24
BrodyJ29 is on a distinguished road
BrodyJ29's Tacoma Gallery
I received an email stating that they hope to have pricing by early 2012. As soon as I receive any more information on this I will be sure to post. Keep the questions coming and I will relay any suggestions or concerns you may have to the person in charge of the crate axle program.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #25
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
subb'd
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #26
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
subb'd
Yep
Old 12-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #27
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgcat View Post
Interested in the 44.
I'd go Diamond Toy mini housing Tacoma WMS before a Dana.
That's just me though.

I'm just a Toyota for Toyota guy,
I don't see the point of putting 1 tons underneith a mini truck,
I can build a Toy axle to be stronger then a Dana 60...
and if I wanted full widths..I can slap a Diamond housing with custom Longs..and still be stronger.

Ok end argument..
did anybody pick up some axles yet or is this guy bullshittin
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #28
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
I'd go Diamond Toy mini housing Tacoma WMS before a Dana.
That's just me though.

I'm just a Toyota for Toyota guy,
I don't see the point of putting 1 tons underneith a mini truck,
I can build a Toy axle to be stronger then a Dana 60...
and if I wanted full widths..I can slap a Diamond housing with custom Longs..and still be stronger.

Ok end argument..
did anybody pick up some axles yet or is this guy bullshittin
First, diamond housings take for ever to make and people have been having some small problems with them. I would choose a ruffstuff housing before anything now, ruffstuff has pretty bad ass quality stuff on the market. Also, custom housings are great as we know, but then you still gotta find custom axles if you didn't get it to match another axles dimensions, still gotta put C's on it and gotta build it from the ground up, not as cheap sometimes as people hope for.

As far as the D60 comment goes, no you cannot build a toy axle to be stronger, ever. it's like comparing apples to oranges... the R&P size difference is insane... not to mention a beef of the knuckles. Toy axle can be as strong as SOME parts of the d60, but will never be STRONGER than a D60, ever. A toy axle is way easier to work with and has it's benefits.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #29
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
First, diamond housings take for ever to make and people have been having some small problems with them. I would choose a ruffstuff housing before anything now, ruffstuff has pretty bad ass quality stuff on the market. Also, custom housings are great as we know, but then you still gotta find custom axles if you didn't get it to match another axles dimensions, still gotta put C's on it and gotta build it from the ground up, not as cheap sometimes as people hope for.

As far as the D60 comment goes, no you cannot build a toy axle to be stronger, ever. it's like comparing apples to oranges... the R&P size difference is insane... not to mention a beef of the knuckles. Toy axle can be as strong as SOME parts of the d60, but will never be STRONGER than a D60, ever. A toy axle is way easier to work with and has it's benefits.
I personally won't buy from RuffStuff..been jewed over once and won't buy again from them.

and birfield vs u-joint? Every u-joint out there moly or not I have seen broke, Bobby Longfield Birfs and 30 spline axles yes I've seen break..but they are lifetime warrantied because they hardly ever break...you are right everything breaks..but we all have our own opinions, that's what makes the crawling world such a unique thing..everyone does different things(most of the time)

three bulletproof axles that will never break unless faulty parts.

83 housing, shaved,and gusseted for hydro, knuckle ball gussets.
Longs
Trunion eliminator
Six shooters
Marlink and hi steer
Yukons with hp 3rd
Master kit
Detroit or your choice of selectable locker..no spool for steering purposes
Marlin eco seals
v6 calipers
taco rotors

fj60 housing
six shooters
Yukons
Longs
trunion eliminator
master kit
custom hi steer
Detroit or your choice of locker
marlin eco seals
fj80 rotors
fj60 calipers

fj80 housing
9.25 Yukons with fzj hp
Longs
hell fire knuckles and arms
arb
marlin seals
fzj80 rotors
fzj calipers
marlink and custom hi

9.25 yukons are stronger any D60 rp you'll find out there..

Don't get me wrong a Kingpin 60 is a strong fucking axle but if you have a stock Yota motor and you put a 60 under a Yota, I'll just walk right by you everytime in lo low and laugh...if you go 1 tons, go full domestic drivetrain then....don't even think about having dual toyota cases
that's just wrong..

again, just an opinion..we are all entitled to em
have a good day Supra!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #30
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I personally won't buy from RuffStuff..been jewed over once and won't buy again from them.

and birfield vs u-joint? Every u-joint out there moly or not I have seen broke, Bobby Longfield Birfs and 30 spline axles yes I've seen break..but they are lifetime warrantied because they hardly ever break...you are right everything breaks..but we all have our own opinions, that's what makes the crawling world such a unique thing..everyone does different things(most of the time)

three bulletproof axles that will never break unless faulty parts.

83 housing, shaved,and gusseted for hydro, knuckle ball gussets.
Longs
Trunion eliminator
Six shooters
Marlink and hi steer
Yukons with hp 3rd
Master kit
Detroit or your choice of selectable locker..no spool for steering purposes
Marlin eco seals
v6 calipers
taco rotors

fj60 housing
six shooters
Yukons
Longs
trunion eliminator
master kit
custom hi steer
Detroit or your choice of locker
marlin eco seals
fj80 rotors
fj60 calipers

fj80 housing
9.25 Yukons with fzj hp
Longs
hell fire knuckles and arms
arb
marlin seals
fzj80 rotors
fzj calipers
marlink and custom hi

9.25 yukons are stronger any D60 rp you'll find out there..

Don't get me wrong a Kingpin 60 is a strong fucking axle but if you have a stock Yota motor and you put a 60 under a Yota, I'll just walk right by you everytime in lo low and laugh...if you go 1 tons, go full domestic drivetrain then....don't even think about having dual toyota cases
that's just wrong..

again, just an opinion..we are all entitled to em
have a good day Supra!
I do understand what you are saying, I love the toyota axle, but the stability is trash. 90% of the guys running a d60 have stock drivetrain with cases. Look at Wyatt (awsumdc) perfect example, rocjock 60s at both ends.

Toyota truck housings cannot withstand 44" tires. If I threw a d60 under my truck, there would be no way I could possibly break anything no matter how hard I tried on the trail. I can't even break my 44 and it's junk. There is a lot of stuff you need to do to make a toy axle strong. a stock d60 is stronger than a 100% completely built d44. How can you compare with that? Meh.. I am a toyota guy but when strength and crawling come, toyota is only "so good"
Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #31
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
^ or you can just do what I'm doing Diamond ford 9" spidertracks ultimate 60 knuckles spidertracks hi steer, 1 ton 6 on 5.5 hubs big boy 35 spline spidertracks axles true Hi 9 and ARB
Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #32
I'll eat all your food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I do understand what you are saying, I love the toyota axle, but the stability is trash. 90% of the guys running a d60 have stock drivetrain with cases. Look at Wyatt (awsumdc) perfect example, rocjock 60s at both ends.

Toyota truck housings cannot withstand 44" tires. If I threw a d60 under my truck, there would be no way I could possibly break anything no matter how hard I tried on the trail. I can't even break my 44 and it's junk. There is a lot of stuff you need to do to make a toy axle strong. a stock d60 is stronger than a 100% completely built d44. How can you compare with that? Meh.. I am a toyota guy but when strength and crawling come, toyota is only "so good"
See..when 44's come into play, that is not what I'm referring too..that's a whole different world of crawling...i'm not talking Formula Toy..KOH status here..anything those guys can run on 44s I could run on 37s..would I be the fastest? No but i don't off road fast....it really depends what type of crawler your trying to build determines your tire size imo..and no nobody puts 44s on toy axle anyway..it'd look retarded because of wms. 40s are max on Toy axles where they look good..stock Toy housings at least..maybe a Ruff or Diamond custom WMS would be OK on 40+

I'm talking just a normal home brewed crawler..37s at it's biggest.
You can't break a 44? Man you need to hit some trails around here..one drop in on a rock garden and I guarantee you'll snap a u joint or shear a ring

wyatt's truck is a different story though..

that's just my opinion and we are entitled to it
1 tons belong under domestic powered rigs with np cases
idk i just hate seeing someone destroy a toyota with 1 tons..
unless you have broken every part in a front toy axle and it's aftermarket..then i see no point in going 1 tons with stock power..unless your going for low and slow..

sorry for the big uproar..but i'll still put a fully built 9.25" Toy axle up agaisnt your 1 ton....

i love the internet.
btw Supra have you put a crawl box in your truck yet?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
I'll eat all your food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
^ or you can just do what I'm doing Diamond ford 9" spidertracks ultimate 60 knuckles spidertracks hi steer, 1 ton 6 on 5.5 hubs big boy 35 spline spidertracks axles true Hi 9 and ARB
ya bulletproof
which makes total sense since you have a Taco jerry and need bigger WMS

that housing is just pure sex..
Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #34
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
See..when 44's come into play, that is not what I'm referring too..that's a whole different world of crawling...i'm not talking Formula Toy..KOH status here..anything those guys can run on 44s I could run on 37s..would I be the fastest? No but i don't off road fast....it really depends what type of crawler your trying to build determines your tire size imo..and no nobody puts 44s on toy axle anyway..it'd look retarded because of wms. 40s are max on Toy axles where they look good..stock Toy housings at least..maybe a Ruff or Diamond custom WMS would be OK on 40+

I'm talking just a normal home brewed crawler..37s at it's biggest.
You can't break a 44? Man you need to hit some trails around here..one drop in on a rock garden and I guarantee you'll snap a u joint or shear a ring

that's just my opinion and we are entitled to it
1 tons belong under domestic powered rigs with np cases
idk i just hate seeing someone destroy a toyota with 1 tons..
unless you have broken every part in a front toy axle and it's aftermarket..then i see no point in going 1 tons with stock power..unless your going for low and slow..

sorry for the big uproar..but i'll still put a fully built 9.25" Toy axle up agaisnt your 1 ton....

i love the internet.
btw Supra have you put a crawl box in your truck yet?
The only reason I chose full widths over toy axle is because of width, stability, nothing more. 44's crap and it's easy to break I am just a pussy with it .

And I understand what you mean about the 1ton vs toy axle, I was just slow at understanding you

No boxes.. Why? $$$$$ Soon though... SOMEDAY!! DAMNIT!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #35
I'll eat all your food.

It's too bad you have a driver drop 44

If you took a W56C, it'd bolt straight to your 3RZ..then you can run gear cases like in Toy Minis..but you need a passenger drop..lol.you couldn't clock the case enough for driver hahaha
Fuck that chain driven shizzzz.
you can build dual stock cases for under $600..
dual stocks with 4.88s is 100:1
dual case with 4.7s in rear case is 223:1 with 5.29s, 206:1 with 4.88s
4.7 gears are $565 though alone
Old 12-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #36
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
It's too bad you have a driver drop 44

If you took a W56C, it'd bolt straight to your 3RZ..then you can run gear cases like in Toy Minis..but you need a passenger drop..lol.you couldn't clock the case enough for driver hahaha
Fuck that chain driven shizzzz.
you can build dual stock cases for under $600..
dual stocks with 4.88s is 100:1
dual case with 4.7s in rear case is 223:1 with 5.29s, 206:1 with 4.88s
4.7 gears are $565 though alone
When I go tons I may consider.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #37
I'll eat all your food.

do it

fuck buying a Taco box or lefty case..you can build a badass Marlin dual setup for $1500, 30 spline moly front, 30 spline moly rear, 4.7 moly gears, mc07 adaptor = $1500
bulletproof.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #38
Stoffregen Motors is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Stoffregen Motors's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's a story more common than you might think.

These newer Tacos (2005+) are heavy trucks. I have built a couple of them and I have used Toyota based axles and D60 based axles under them. So I can argue the virtues for and against the D60 firsthand.

And this argument that Toyota is stronger than D60. Yes you are right, you can build a $6500 Toyota axle to be stronger than a $1100 junkyard D60.

I think that in a "bang for the buck" scenario, you can't go wrong with a D60.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #39
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i think a toy axle would even be too heave for some 1st gens, my first gen weighs a tad ove 5000lbs
Old 01-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #40
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffregen Motors View Post
It's a story more common than you might think.

These newer Tacos (2005+) are heavy trucks. I have built a couple of them and I have used Toyota based axles and D60 based axles under them. So I can argue the virtues for and against the D60 firsthand.

And this argument that Toyota is stronger than D60. Yes you are right, you can build a $6500 Toyota axle to be stronger than a $1100 junkyard D60.

I think that in a "bang for the buck" scenario, you can't go wrong with a D60.

Exactly.

I dont understand why you would want to spend wayyyyyyy more money to have a toyota axle. What if you put that money to make the yota axle stronger in the 60? It would be extremely strong.

Ill be going to with tons for my SAS, wish i could go the fabricated housing 9'' route but i wont have the money.