Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Dana Axles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #81
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tx_shooter's Avatar
Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
Joined: Jul 2010, #39745
Location: DFW, Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,243
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I went the 1st Gen Yota route and ended up using my '06 Tacoma as the tow rig. I like it better this way because I can beat on the rig all I want and know that I'll get to work the next day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #82
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Supra TT's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Jan 2011, #48645
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,344
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
What I'm having a problem wrapping my head around is why spend 6k on an axle swap (I did it once) when you can buy a completely built first gen Yota for about the same? Every time I think of that, it makes me not want to put money into my Tacoma. Though, it is a trade off, with a first gen Yota, you may want a trailer and tow rig too Decisions decisions...
Why? Why own someone else's piece of shit when you can build your own? I don't want someone else's shit rig.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #83
Senior Member
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 602
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Why? Why own someone else's piece of shit when you can build your own? I don't want someone else's shit rig.


I concur.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #84
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
IDtrucks's Avatar
Name: Mark
Joined: Jun 2010, #38254
Location: Boise ID
Gender: Guy
Posts: 19,576
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
What I'm having a problem wrapping my head around is why spend 6k on an axle swap (I did it once) when you can buy a completely built first gen Yota for about the same? Every time I think of that, it makes me not want to put money into my Tacoma. Though, it is a trade off, with a first gen Yota, you may want a trailer and tow rig too Decisions decisions...
It may not be your thing, but I find it extremely fun to build your own shit. I would spend more on the build, just so I got the chance to do all the work on it and build it with my own hands than just get someone else's pile.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #85
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future
 
thegame's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52855
Location: Bay area
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 942
thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Why? Why own someone else's piece of shit when you can build your own? I don't want someone else's shit rig.
I already have a mild build on my Tacoma, it all comes down to spending money wiser, kinda have to do that as you get older I could trade my Tacoma for a Cummins, spend that 6k on a trail rig, all I need is a trailer and I'd have a wheeler I don't have to worry about beating up too bad and can still get home reliably.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #86
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Supra TT's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Jan 2011, #48645
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,344
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Why not spend 6k on the tacoma, drive it every day and wheel your life away?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #87
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future
 
thegame's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52855
Location: Bay area
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 942
thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Why not spend 6k on the tacoma, drive it every day and wheel your life away?
I have a Civic I drive everyday to get to work, the truck is just a weekend toy. Way back before I had a daily driver, I had a solid axle Tacoma before I bought my current one and it wasn't fun wheeling like a ninny because I had to drive the truck home and to work the next day Either you wheel like a ninny or you don't work
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #88
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2009, #17416
Location: Indiana
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,972
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
it wasn't fun wheeling like a ninny because I had to drive the truck home and to work the next day Either you wheel like a ninny or you don't work
Sounds like you weren't very confident in the reliability of your previous rig to me. I dont wheel like a ninny, and I often drive 500+ miles to go wheeling. Heck, I dont even own a trailer. I built it reliably and carry the proper spares to make it home no matter what.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #89
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future
 
thegame's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52855
Location: Bay area
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 942
thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Sounds like you weren't very confident in the reliability of your previous rig to me. I dont wheel like a ninny, and I often drive 500+ miles to go wheeling. Heck, I dont even own a trailer. I built it reliably and carry the proper spares to make it home no matter what.
I also carried spares but Murphy's law says you'll break what spares you don't have. I broke a steering box (standard IFS box most use for an axle swap) on the Rubicon once and luckily a friend had a spare but how can you plan for a steering box breaking? It gets to a point where you're carrying enough spares to build a completely new truck. Not to forget I was also on a VERY tight budget making $12 an hour here in the bay area (CA). I hope I mentioned it was my only vehicle at the time too. Things are much different now than they were 5 years ago, which is why I'm still up in the air about whether to SAS this truck or get a wheeler/trailer/tow rig.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #90
Senior Member
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 602
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
You have to carry the essentials. There are certain things you can do without, where a vehicle can still be operated to get you home. But like the biggest think I'm thinking, is spare fluids. It's a gamble and part of the game. If you have the cash and resources, I'd say do a pure trail rig with a trailer. Since then you won't have to worry as much about it.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #91
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future
 
thegame's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52855
Location: Bay area
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 942
thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Sounds like you weren't very confident in the reliability of your previous rig to me. I dont wheel like a ninny, and I often drive 500+ miles to go wheeling. Heck, I dont even own a trailer. I built it reliably and carry the proper spares to make it home no matter what.
Also, I see you drive an IFS truck. Do an axle swap on your truck and tell me you work on it LESS than you work on the IFS. I've been there, guy, don't try and tell me what you think I felt
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #92
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future
 
thegame's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52855
Location: Bay area
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 942
thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
You have to carry the essentials. There are certain things you can do without, where a vehicle can still be operated to get you home. But like the biggest think I'm thinking, is spare fluids. It's a gamble and part of the game. If you have the cash and resources, I'd say do a pure trail rig with a trailer. Since then you won't have to worry as much about it.....
What makes you think fluids are most important? Just curious. You have gear oil, ATF, motor oil, coolant. Either you're concerned about your Heep overheating, blowing up diff covers or punching a hole in your oil pan, which is it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #93
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2009, #17416
Location: Indiana
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,972
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Also, I see you drive an IFS truck. Do an axle swap on your truck and tell me you work on it LESS than you work on the IFS. I've been there, guy, don't try and tell me what you think I felt
SA has nothing to do with it. More moving non-stock parts than a SA. I usuallywheel with all SA rigs, and wheel just as hard as they do. Besides the fact that you can get SA parts at almost any AutoParts to get home, try that with an LT kit.

I am not arguing the SA/IFS here either...this is a thread about obtaining a Dana Axle from the factory.

Bottom line is, if its built right, you wont have issues. Look up 01Tundra on Pirate and check out his rig. Jonathon and I used to wheel together all the time, all over the south/east region, he never had a trailer either and was SA. Or ask Wyatt how many issues he has had? There goes your argument.

A SA rig can be just as reliable as when it left the assembly line if done right.

99% of the problems the SA guys face are do to hack jobs or improper set-up when the SAC was done. Period. They used to make trucks SA factory, did they switch becasue IFS was more reliable, hardly. Ride quality was the reason, soccer moms get what they want, lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #94
Senior Member
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 602
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
What makes you think fluids are most important? Just curious. You have gear oil, ATF, motor oil, coolant. Either you're concerned about your Heep overheating, blowing up diff covers or punching a hole in your oil pan, which is it?
Lol I actually don't carry that shit in my XJ....but it's in the Ranger's bed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #95
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Supra TT's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Jan 2011, #48645
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,344
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
I have a Civic I drive everyday to get to work, the truck is just a weekend toy. Way back before I had a daily driver, I had a solid axle Tacoma before I bought my current one and it wasn't fun wheeling like a ninny because I had to drive the truck home and to work the next day Either you wheel like a ninny or you don't work
I trailer my tacoma to the trails since I have a tow rig/trailer.. But when I am at the trail I beat thy living fuck out of it when I can. Full lock/stuff full throttle, MEH. I have only broken a few things,; a steering u joint (bolt came loose, tightened bolt back down). Both front u joints (improper installation) - new ones are flawless. And a carrier bearing, but I still wheeled with it for over 10+ hours. Built SA rig is indestructible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #96
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future
 
thegame's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52855
Location: Bay area
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 942
thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I trailer my tacoma to the trails since I have a tow rig/trailer.. But when I am at the trail I beat thy living fuck out of it when I can. Full lock/stuff full throttle, MEH. I have only broken a few things,; a steering u joint (bolt came loose, tightened bolt back down). Both front u joints (improper installation) - new ones are flawless. And a carrier bearing, but I still wheeled with it for over 10+ hours. Built SA rig is indestructible.
You'd probably sing a different story if your Tacoma was your only vehicle, just sayin' Funny you put so much trust into a vehicle someone else built too :flipoff2:
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #97
BrodyJ29 [OP] BrodyJ29 is offline
Junior Member
BrodyJ29 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2011, #62534
Location: NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
BrodyJ29's Tacoma Gallery
I have been able to get some pricing on what axles they have now. Everything out right now is all rear model axles ranging from Dana 44 with electric locker with ratios of 3.73 and 4.10 and Dana 60 with standard and trac lock with gear ratios from 3.73 to 4.56. I can sell these axles both 44 models and 60 to you guys for $2,500. They come without any brackets or brakes. The crate axle program is a much better axle than a junk yard or dana axle you can find now. They have redesigned these axles for the offroad world. The crate axles have thicker wall tubing, larger diameter 32 spline axle shafts, better differential gears with higher impact strength, larger differential bearings, and they are putting a stronger 1330 series yoke on these axles. The 60 axle now has larger axle shafts with 35 tooth spline. They have done a really good job in preparing these for the offroad world. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Email me at bjones@uspower.cc
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #98
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2009, #17416
Location: Indiana
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,972
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodyJ29 View Post
I have been able to get some pricing on what axles they have now. Everything out right now is all rear model axles ranging from Dana 44 with electric locker with ratios of 3.73 and 4.10 and Dana 60 with standard and trac lock with gear ratios from 3.73 to 4.56. I can sell these axles both 44 models and 60 to you guys for $2,500. They come without any brackets or brakes. The crate axle program is a much better axle than a junk yard or dana axle you can find now. They have redesigned these axles for the offroad world. The crate axles have thicker wall tubing, larger diameter 32 spline axle shafts, better differential gears with higher impact strength, larger differential bearings, and they are putting a stronger 1330 series yoke on these axles. The 60 axle now has larger axle shafts with 35 tooth spline. They have done a really good job in preparing these for the offroad world. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Email me at bjones@uspower.cc
Do they/you realize the primary market for these axles in the off-road world is for front axles???
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #99
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Supra TT's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Jan 2011, #48645
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,344
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
You'd probably sing a different story if your Tacoma was your only vehicle, just sayin' Funny you put so much trust into a vehicle someone else built too :flipoff2:
Not really, I go to wheel. Who cares what happens, it's called life. Also, myself and the help of friends have re-done the entire truck except for a few things. And you're completely right, trusting others to build a rig is a terrible idea. I mean just look at the thousands of rigs out there. I didn't do them so they must be junk.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #100
BrodyJ29 [OP] BrodyJ29 is offline
Junior Member
BrodyJ29 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2011, #62534
Location: NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
BrodyJ29's Tacoma Gallery
The front axles are in production now.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frame Rust and Dana twfsa 1st Gen. Tacomas 3 11-20-2011 10:13 PM
Dana White says Frankie Edgar is #t p4p... SilverTacoEater Sports, Hobbies & Interests 0 10-09-2011 10:38 AM
Dana Corp. Bad frame quality Toyota4ever New Members 4 12-31-2010 03:08 PM
Could lift cause damage to front axles, axles seal, and therefore differential? solus Suspension 15 08-16-2010 12:53 PM
Dana 44 6 lug - Craigslist find FL Forester Buy / Sell / Trade 4 04-14-2009 11:55 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.