Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Dana Axles

Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #101
yotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: ADRIEL
yotanation29's Tacoma Gallery
is just the housing or a full axle? im in the process of doing a sas and finding the right axle is my biggest problem right now. i was considering bulding it from trail fear products but if you can sell a complete axle im VERY interesteed. please pm me more info
Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #102
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanation29 View Post
is just the housing or a full axle? im in the process of doing a sas and finding the right axle is my biggest problem right now. i was considering bulding it from trail fear products but if you can sell a complete axle im VERY interesteed. please pm me more info
Don't go with a TG axle..

How are you having a hard time finding an axle? There are millions for sale on craigslist. What axle are you looking for?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #103
yotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: ADRIEL
yotanation29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Don't go with a TG axle..

How are you having a hard time finding an axle? There are millions for sale on craigslist. What axle are you looking for?
finding a driver side drop is pretty hard, passenger is real easy. ive been looking for a dana 44/60 or fj80, but im considering using this kit
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=251
and this axle
http://shop.rp4wd.com/category/axles
its that set up or all trailgear and old pu parts. that seems to be the easiest route
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #104
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well if you are going to look for a 60. Then don't bother with an fj80 or a 44. Get the 60. And be happy for life. People end up spending damn near equal amounts in the d44 just to NEVER EVER reach the strength of the d60 STOCK. Get a d60, they are easy to find.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #105
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Confused.

So after reading a few pages of "debating" back and forth about toy vs dana axles, I feel like I need a fifth of liquor and a cheap slut. haha

So I'm wanting to SAS my 07'. I have an opportunity to get a set of dana's, which i believe to be 60's. The passenger side is stamped 256, and they are on a 2000 ford f250 super duty. My cost will be labor of removing and installing what he has sitting in the bed. Are these too big or too much for what I need for the taco???
Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #106
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Those are absolutely perfect. Driver drop, perfect width for a 2nd gen. You will love yourself more than anyone when you get it built.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #107
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Those are absolutely perfect. Driver drop, perfect width for a 2nd gen. You will love yourself more than anyone when you get it built.
Is my research correct, I have found what i believe to be information making me think that it is a "Dana Super 60" with a 10 inch ring gear?

And I will be getting the rear as well if he makes the swap.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #108
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03is300ztk View Post
Is my research correct, I have found what i believe to be information making me think that it is a "Dana Super 60" with a 10 inch ring gear?

And I will be getting the rear as well if he makes the swap.
That would be a good find, the super 60 is nice.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #109

Quote:
That would be a good find, the super 60 is nice.
I'm gonna do my best, should know within a week the guys intentions, the truck is in the shop, his new axles in the bed, oh but of course he is out of town for work. As soon as he is back I can begin begging.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #110
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I would keep looking personally. While any 60 is gonna be great for you, I personally would prefer a Kingpin 60 over a BJ 60 anyday. Kingpins were only made for a short time, and are pricey, but stronger.

And you first must ask yourself, do you really need a Solid Axle? Or better yet, do you really need your truck (meaning in a its their when I need to use it to drive/haul/etc). Because once you SAS it, unless it is done perfect, the truck will never be the same. Thats why so many people SAS their truck and sell it within a year or two.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #111
Stoffregen Motors is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Stoffregen Motors's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So after reading a few pages of "debating" back and forth about toy vs dana axles, I feel like I need a fifth of liquor and a cheap slut. haha

So I'm wanting to SAS my 07'. I have an opportunity to get a set of dana's, which i believe to be 60's. The passenger side is stamped 256, and they are on a 2000 ford f250 super duty. My cost will be labor of removing and installing what he has sitting in the bed. Are these too big or too much for what I need for the taco???
You have to remember how heavy these new Tacomas are. A Ford D60 in front is ideal in strength, width and diff offset. The only downside to a 2000 Ford D60 is the balljoints-vs-kingpins. The older axles had kingpins.

Do Not install a D44 in that truck!!!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
I would keep looking personally. While any 60 is gonna be great for you, I personally would prefer a Kingpin 60 over a BJ 60 anyday. Kingpins were only made for a short time, and are pricey, but stronger.

And you first must ask yourself, do you really need a Solid Axle? Or better yet, do you really need your truck (meaning in a its their when I need to use it to drive/haul/etc). Because once you SAS it, unless it is done perfect, the truck will never be the same. Thats why so many people SAS their truck and sell it within a year or two.
Agreed on all counts.

I have built these trucks on solid axles and as you say, if they're done right, they are a real pleasure to drive. One of them we call a "Tacoma HD".
Old 07-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffregen Motors View Post
You have to remember how heavy these new Tacomas are. A Ford D60 in front is ideal in strength, width and diff offset. The only downside to a 2000 Ford D60 is the balljoints-vs-kingpins. The older axles had kingpins.

My buddy at work put it it great today, its putting a 1 ton axle on a 1/16th ton truck!!! haha overkill done right.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #114
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:

If BJ's are so bad, why do they use them in the rock jock housings? People put down the new style ford axles for no reason I believe. Kingpins are really only superior when it comes to KOH style wheeling. Otherwise Bj 60's are perfect.

Quote:
My buddy at work put it it great today, its putting a 1 ton axle on a 1/16th ton truck!!! haha overkill done right.
Eh, our trucks are more-so on the 1/2ton side than anything. The classifications for trucks is stupid IMO. Tacoma can haul #1300 so it should be like a 5/8th ton.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #115
Quote:
If BJ's are so bad, why do they use them in the rock jock housings? People put down the new style ford axles for no reason I believe. Kingpins are really only superior when it comes to KOH style wheeling. Otherwise Bj 60's are perfect.
When designing and planning for the "perfect build", kingpin knuckles are just that...perfect. They are bombproof for the average, even hardcore occasional wheeler. KOH trucks use them because they are the best you can get. Balljoints do wear out eventually, but then so do kingpins, the difference in performance is in the time frame. Kingpins last much, much longer.

Let's not forget the options and parts variety associated with kingpin knuckles, like steering arm adaptability. Sure, you can get Balljoint knuckles with the same features but you can use junkyard kingpin knuckles and save a few bucks.

Don't get me wrong, I would install a BJ housing in my truck or a customer's, but I'm talking "perfect world" scenario here.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #116
Quote:
Just overbuild it. You know you want to.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #117

Cool

Quote:
Just overbuild it. You know you want to.
That sir is the truth!!!!!!

So when someone asks why.. i can say just because!!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #118
BrodyJ29 is on a distinguished road
BrodyJ29's Tacoma Gallery
The Dana 60 crate axle is suppose to be a kingpin design.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodyJ29 View Post
The Dana 60 crate axle is suppose to be a kingpin design.
That's good news. Originally you thought it would be a balljoint axle.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #120
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
great thread, im in need of a dd car now... slowly and steady the sas will be here