Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

u-joint stuck behind knuckle

Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
u-joint stuck behind knuckle

last time i went wheeling my u-joint on the half shaft of a jeep dana44 backed outa the caps, the caps have come out to the point where you can no longer slide the shaft outta the knuckle. ive tried pounding them in to no avail and im running outta ideas.

i thought about grinding them out but the area is too small for a grinder, i might give the sawzall a shot tomorrow but i was just wondering if there were any ideas up here

also tomorrow i finish wiring up my airlocker switch to a non arb compressor
Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
bump
Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Heat maybe, have you tried pirate4x4? Pictures would help. Only thing maybe is to pound the caps off instead of on?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Stoffregen Motors is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Stoffregen Motors's Tacoma Gallery
Torch or plasma cutter. It would be a last resort.

Have you tried using a giant c-clamp?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
c-clamp doesnt fit around the knuckle, it almost does but it wont kake it, i couldnt pound them in but im gonna try to sawzall it off tomorrow

whats stronger a stock spicer ujoint or alloy usa?

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-132...t-dana-44.html
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Stoffregen Motors is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Stoffregen Motors's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the sawzall. Even the cheapest axle/u-joint material on the planet will eat a sawzall blade in less than a minute. If you had a plasma cutter you could cut the joint, or worst case scenario, the axle. If you use a torch, be careful, you could lose the heat treating in surrounding materials.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
finally got it out bent one pry bar and snapped another one and also bent my friends big ass c-clamp (mine didnt fit). the too me and a friend one pushing and the other pulling to finally get it

i bent the ears bigger than the opening in the knuckle i guess

now im saving up for chrome molly
Old 12-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Ball joint presses have a huge c-clamp that would work... Sorry I'm late.