Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #2041
markhanson is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
markhanson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
$0 if you have a generous donor who just want's to be nice and do all the work for you all the way up to as much as you want.

Lots of variables so it kinda depends on what kind of axle you want, gearing/lockers, coils or leafs, steering setup, etc...
The whole point to sas my truck would be to have lockers. But I just want like 3 inch lift on 33s don't know much about trucks yet, raced motocross my whole life and drove a 1967 c10 till I got my tacoma
Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #2042
Rocktoy07 is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat Medic, Prior service
Name: Logan
Rocktoy07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhanson View Post
The whole point to sas my truck would be to have lockers. But I just want like 3 inch lift on 33s don't know much about trucks yet, raced motocross my whole life and drove a 1967 c10 till I got my tacoma
You can have lockers now! Wayyyy simpler to install a couple lockers than design/build a solid axle under your truck.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #2043
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhanson View Post
talk to the guys at East Coast Gear Supply, they can set you up with a front locker that all you have to do is drop your current front diff and bolt up the new one with new fluid.

If it's an air locker, you'll need to install the air compressor and plumb it as well, but still - waaaaaaay easier than doing a SAC
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #2044
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
talk to the guys at East Coast Gear Supply, they can set you up with a front locker that all you have to do is drop your current front diff and bolt up the new one with new fluid.

If it's an air locker, you'll need to install the air compressor and plumb it as well, but still - waaaaaaay easier than doing a SAC
Yup! East Coast Gear Supply is the shit! Ordered from them a few times and every experience was excellent. Great company to do business with. You get 4 or 5 emails confirming your order and when it ships. Awesome.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #2045
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
So far I am over $7k in parts only not including my last order which included springs and Fox Coilovers , and thats building the axles myself not paying someone else to

Adds up quick if you want the best parts
Thats pretty damn good if you ask me i'm $22,000 into my front and rear and i'm not done buying shit
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #2046
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Thats pretty damn good if you ask me i'm $22,000 into my front and rear and i'm not done buying shit
Yeah but you can write it off as a business expense because it's an advertisement, right? LOL
Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #2047
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Yeah but you can write it off as a business expense because it's an advertisement, right? LOL
That i can and did
Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #2048
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That i can and did
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #2049
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Woo ill drink to that too alte
Old 05-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #2050
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
i wan to tstart cutting!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #2051
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah thats why I built my own axles. I can buy a pro-rock 60 or build almost the same thing for half the cost. These would have been alot more to buy.

I do wish I had ORI's though
Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #2052
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah thats why I built my own axles. I can buy a pro-rock 60 or build almost the same thing for half the cost. These would have been alot more to buy.

I do wish I had ORI's though
Well you can always swap those in later if need be
Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #2053
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
New rear shackle from marsfab offroad
Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21369294819.408781.jpg
Also had a ubolt plate cut out
Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21369294842.885061.jpg

Flexed the susp out a lil and it will be flexy, now I need to get some parts.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #2054
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
That shackle material looks pretty thin.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #2055
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Boom. Just add lock-outs

Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #2056
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
That shackle material looks pretty thin.
They are 1/4", bigger than what was on there, plus they were free If they bend I'll get some 3/8" or 1/2" cut out.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #2057

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Woo ill drink to that too alte
Quote:
i wan to tstart cutting!
Don't drink and post

Is there any reason I shouldn't go with a D60 rear instead of a 14 bolt? Seems they're easier to find around here for some reason, and I assume more parts would be interchangeable with the front. (bearings, seals, gears, etc.?)

Would I get more clearance out of a shaved D60 rear as opposed to a shaved 14 bolt?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #2058
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't drink and post

Is there any reason I shouldn't go with a D60 rear instead of a 14 bolt? Seems they're easier to find around here for some reason, and I assume more parts would be interchangeable with the front. (bearings, seals, gears, etc.?)

Would I get more clearance out of a shaved D60 rear as opposed to a shaved 14 bolt?
60 is alot better on clearance than 14B. If you build the 60 with 35 spline then the shafts are basically the same size too. The only thing the 14B ends up ahead on is the ring gear size.

Its all whats avaiable and what you wanna spend. I found a D60 Rear just converted to disc brakes, with an LSD and 4.56 gears for $250. Thats a pretty good starting point for a decent axle.

I sold the tracloc for $100, replaced it with an ARB, bored the spindles, put 35 spline chromos in it, and a drive flange to replace the yoke. I dont think I will have to worry about it breaking.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #2059
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't drink and post

14b

beef 1.5 30 spline FF shafts stock
beef 10.5 ring gear
pinion support bearing and massive pinion
massive carrier
beef housing and .5 thick axle tubes
easier to set up gears

For my cruiser stronger is better so that's the mentality I'm going into this with. For you, maybe you'd rather have almost as strong and a little more clearance. Or maybe price.

Just saying...
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #2060

Don't forget the Dana 70, for some light weight and running under 40s a 60 would be the better choice.

Products Discussed in this Thread