LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #2102
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like I am gunna switch to front leafs out to old school toyota rear leafs. They are an inch longer and cheap. My front leafs are beyond S shaped...
Old 06-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #2103
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Looks like I am gunna switch to front leafs out to old school toyota rear leafs. They are an inch longer and cheap. My front leafs are beyond S shaped...
I don't think those will last too long under your truck. Unless you mix in some stiffer springs with them, you will S them as well. I'm not sure what springs you have in there now but I had Rancho 44044's in my old truck that held up decently well. They are designed to lift a heavy Jeep Grand Wagoneer so they are plenty fine for these trucks. Or just swap to links and never worry about leaf springs again

Links can actually be done pretty cheap if you pick up some 2x2 square tube for link material, bushings and weld on Johnny Joints for link ends (fixed lowers, not adjustable), some cheap 7/8 heims for a panhard and upper link, some sort of coil and use your current front shocks. Bam, link suspension for ~$500. I see you mentioned something on Pirate about it being dumb to link a D44 but I know plenty of people that have. You WILL break more stuff but you will have more traction to take care of business. Leafs twist and bend when you land full throttle, links won't let the axle roll like leafs do.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #2104
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I was going to add in some other leafs in the pack as well. I have some tacoma rears that were lift springs that I can add from when I originally SAS'd the truck. I wanna link it, but the time and money right now is just not right.

I have the Marlin 5" lift springs, as I stated on pirate, I couldn't really get a review on how well they did. I am removing the cage so the weight will be down a bit. (Not that it may matter too much anyway)

If I ever did links I am going to run ORI's. 16" so that way I can transfer them over to my D60 when I build one, if I build one. I really wouldn't wanna mess with coils and my original shocks.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #2105
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I was going to add in some other leafs in the pack as well. I have some tacoma rears that were lift springs that I can add from when I originally SAS'd the truck. I wanna link it, but the time and money right now is just not right.

I have the Marlin 5" lift springs, as I stated on pirate, I couldn't really get a review on how well they did. I am removing the cage so the weight will be down a bit. (Not that it may matter too much anyway)

If I ever did links I am going to run ORI's. 16" so that way I can transfer them over to my D60 when I build one, if I build one. I really wouldn't wanna mess with coils and my original shocks.
Why not just collect parts over time? I can't afford a 10k 1 ton swap but I can over time LOL
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #2106
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Definitely collecting over time is good. I can't even start right now. Money is tight. Problems always occur at once with everything it seems. New tires for the DD, new DS u-joints and a rear axle seal. I knew about the tires but couldn't afford them until now. And once that money is spent I am back to saving for a couple big wheeling trips this year.

After this year I should be on a better track of saving. I really need to sell my motorcycle and I'll be set on everything. But no offers or anything for months... Maybe asking to much, or no one is interested.

But I really need leaf springs either way. They have been destroyed over a year lol I figure the RUF will be cheap and effective as booger said on Pirate, just trusting his opinion I guess. What other spring do you suggest? I had rancho 44044 on order for 9 months + when I first tried to SAS the truck and had to cancel since they kept pushing them on back order. Not sure how their control of parts is now though.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2107
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running Jeep YJ in the front. They are about an inch shorter than the ranchos and the pin is centered so your axle will be off a 1/2". Plus they're probably more common than wagoneer springs.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #2108
Wheeling mine, back to working on everyone else's
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
#leafspring problems

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #2109
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #2110
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #2111
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #2113
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
gonna be legendary

jk

Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #2114
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99taco27505 View Post
I'm running Jeep YJ in the front. They are about an inch shorter than the ranchos and the pin is centered so your axle will be off a 1/2". Plus they're probably more common than wagoneer springs.
The problem with the centered axle pin is that the axle will be too far back into the firewall. Also shorter leaf springs will make my shackle angle even worse
Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #2115
Rocktoy07 is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat Medic, Prior service
Name: Logan
Rocktoy07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
SUPER Jealous!!! Whered you get yours through? Ive been searching around for replacements for theses FOAs. Not real impressed with there quality so far, both need to be rebuilt already for multiple reasons.

What weight coils are you running? standard 300/300 and adjust if need be?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #2116
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Pretty sure he is going to be running like 150/100... I too have the same opinion on the FOA's. You get what you pay for. However, I cannot talk bad about them, they rebuilt my shocks for free.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #2117
Rocktoy07 is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat Medic, Prior service
Name: Logan
Rocktoy07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pretty sure he is going to be running like 150/100... I too have the same opinion on the FOA's. You get what you pay for. However, I cannot talk bad about them, they rebuilt my shocks for free.
Lol, yeah I guess i cant really complain too much! I need to call them and see what I can get done, Especially after reading that thread that Phil made detailing his rebuild, not confidence inspiring!! My problem is I cant have any vehicle downtime right now cause my dd crapped the bed on me!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #2118
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But I really need leaf springs either way. They have been destroyed over a year lol I figure the RUF will be cheap and effective as booger said on Pirate, just trusting his opinion I guess. What other spring do you suggest? I had rancho 44044 on order for 9 months + when I first tried to SAS the truck and had to cancel since they kept pushing them on back order. Not sure how their control of parts is now though.
Really? I just typed in "Rancho 44044" into the Google machine and it churned up Summit Racing as the first option. Click the link and it says "In stock". Not sure where you were ordering through but I would definitely trust Summit with their claims. But call to make sure
Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #2119
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is that 150/100 for the rear? I hope so because it's way too light for the front.

After reading the coilover thread on Pirate, I know a shit load more about coilovers than I did before. Nwi, are you planning on using the triple rate? I would read through the coilover thread and soak everything in. The main dude Wayne (I believe) recommends not using the triple rate because the last few inches of travel before full droop aren't there. You essentially have the triple rate tender spring trying to force the shock into full extension and it just doesn't happen because there is no preload on the main springs. IIRC the proper tune consists of a dual rate setup and 3-4" of compression on the springs with the end result being your ride height. Then again, the dudes on there tune for race trucks but essentially works the same for all vehicles regardless if you plan to go fast or jump your shit. This is where finding the correct balance of spring ratios to work best for your vehicle along with proper compression/rebound damping come into play. I really dig all of the tuning possibilities with coilovers but I'm lazy and decided to take the cheaper easier tuning route with 14" ORI's
Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #2120
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktoy07 View Post
SUPER Jealous!!! Whered you get yours through? Ive been searching around for replacements for theses FOAs. Not real impressed with there quality so far, both need to be rebuilt already for multiple reasons.

What weight coils are you running? standard 300/300 and adjust if need be?

Got them through All-Pro as I had a bunch of credit with them and they were cheaper than Polyperformance.

Still waited 12 weeks after being told 4-6, not happy.

Quote:
Fronts will be 200/250 or 250/300, not sure yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Is that 150/100 for the rear? I hope so because it's way too light for the front.

After reading the coilover thread on Pirate, I know a shit load more about coilovers than I did before. Nwi, are you planning on using the triple rate? I would read through the coilover thread and soak everything in. The main dude Wayne (I believe) recommends not using the triple rate because the last few inches of travel before full droop aren't there. You essentially have the triple rate tender spring trying to force the shock into full extension and it just doesn't happen because there is no preload on the main springs. IIRC the proper tune consists of a dual rate setup and 3-4" of compression on the springs with the end result being your ride height. Then again, the dudes on there tune for race trucks but essentially works the same for all vehicles regardless if you plan to go fast or jump your shit. This is where finding the correct balance of spring ratios to work best for your vehicle along with proper compression/rebound damping come into play. I really dig all of the tuning possibilities with coilovers but I'm lazy and decided to take the cheaper easier tuning route with 14" ORI's
I am sending my springs back and "springing" these coilovers as per wayne.

Products Discussed in this Thread