Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #2121
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J88logue View Post
I'm not looking to go with a 60, i've got my mind on a 44 out of a waggy. Junkyards sell them for 350 but this guy said hed do 150 which seemed awesome till i learned it had the vacuum shnatz

Ah, I see. From Mr. N's Dana 44 page:

This is a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer, a Full Size Jeep (FSJ) axle. (He was referring to a picture that I didn't copy and paste as it was fuzzy.) Notice the pumpkin on the driver side which was ran 80-91. It is much narrow than a full size pick up axle, thus using this axle or just the axle shaft is a popular option. See axle shaft chart for lengths of axle shaft. Vacuum disconnect ran 83-85, avoid these years.

This may be what you're looking at?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #2122
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
Ah, I see. From Mr. N's Dana 44 page:

This is a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer, a Full Size Jeep (FSJ) axle. (He was referring to a picture that I didn't copy and paste as it was fuzzy.) Notice the pumpkin on the driver side which was ran 80-91. It is much narrow than a full size pick up axle, thus using this axle or just the axle shaft is a popular option. See axle shaft chart for lengths of axle shaft. Vacuum disconnect ran 83-85, avoid these years.

This may be what you're looking at?
exactly.... ))
Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #2123
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
The vacuum axles are fucking junk man. Weaker and heavier. Do not buy it.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #2124
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
From the limited axles I've seen or looked at, the "ideal" axles are gonna cost more. Most people selling used axles know what they have and they price it accordingly. If you looking at a d60, check the d60 bible on pirate for a crap ton of information regarding identifying the axle and where it came from. Also tells you the "ideal" vehicles to pull them from. From what I can remember, there aren't too many dodge trucks on that list.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ont/index.html

so much info!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #2125
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
The vacuum axles are fucking junk man. Weaker and heavier. Do not buy it.

I hear ya - i just keep my eyes pealed!
Old 06-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #2126
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Loving all these swapped double cabs!
Attached Thumbnails
Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-picture-5.jpg   Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-picture-7.jpg   Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-picture-6.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #2127
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'll be getting a DC for another project
Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #2128
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Long travel expedition rig?

Got my steering box done. Sky pitman arm, Prius steering shaft (LOL), sealed with Toyota FIPG
Attached Thumbnails
Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-3.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #2129
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Loving all these swapped double cabs!
That's a sweet color. DC's are sick. Too bad that baby sits a little high. Needs links
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #2130
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
That's a sweet color. DC's are sick. Too bad that baby sits a little high. Needs links
Everything needs links! I'm already thinking about linking the back of my truck but that'll add another 3k to my build total

I photoshopped the truck lower and moved the rear axle forward. Looks 100x better
Attached Thumbnails
Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-picture-9.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #2132
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Or I can let you borrow my truck as a project rig
I'd drive it down
Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #2133
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Why dont you have your cousin make another Big Gay Mud Truck out of it
Old 06-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #2134
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Why dont you have your cousin make another Big Gay Mud Truck out of it
That's a pretty rude/negative statement.

Regardless:

That's the plan, once i find an axle - but it will be for mud, snow, and moderate rocks.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #2135
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
First Gen DoubleCabs are the best SAS platform IMHO. I can't believe we sold the wife's last year for a Sequioa

Would have been nice to have a 1st and 2nd gen SAS doublecabs.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #2136
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sikovit
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #2137
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I'm sikovit

me too

wish i wouldnt have sold my 35 spline d60....... getting hard to find them.... guess I could do what NWI did....
Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #2138
NorthWest Member

Does anyone know the difference between an 1987 Wagoneer vs a 1987 Grand Wagoneer? or perhaps the wagoneer vs grand wagoneer in general when it comes to axles. I know one turns into the (cherokee) like body style. But are they both running d44 up front?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #2139
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
hmmmm their is a 9" center with d60 outers in my area for cheap........

whats the downside of running a 9 center on a second gen????

I know you gain more clearance on a 9" center - you still have the strength of a d60 outer as thats what it is........
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #2140
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J88logue View Post
Does anyone know the difference between an 1987 Wagoneer vs a 1987 Grand Wagoneer? or perhaps the wagoneer vs grand wagoneer in general when it comes to axles. I know one turns into the (cherokee) like body style. But are they both running d44 up front?
Pretty sure the axles are the exact same. The difference was one was more luxury (grand) with a bigger motor option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
hmmmm their is a 9" center with d60 outers in my area for cheap........

whats the downside of running a 9 center on a second gen????

I know you gain more clearance on a 9" center - you still have the strength of a d60 outer as thats what it is........
What is the price? In reality... it's not a good buy.. Is it even driver side drop?

Why it's not good: You are now leaving your weakest link in the ring and pinion which is never a good thing.

Products Discussed in this Thread