Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #2301
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
No I'm just saying when linking a front you need to build it at the bump stops you can I'm just going to go higher. That doesn't work with links they like to lay flat and building it high with flat or near flat links is not really a good I idea. Think monster trucks you would have to build bracing and crossmembers like those to run links with a high frame height and still be stable going down the highway.

My frame height is 24." and my lower link mounts hang 3" below the frame to get good geometry. You run 27" or 28" your going to have crossmembers hanging down 7+" below your frame.
Some good info i'll have to keep in mind.

Thanks JLee
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #2302
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Perhaps i'll be buying parts from you
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #2303
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
It would be unwise to waste money on links when you can just run leaf springs if you aren't using it for anything but mud... Leaf/shocks are like $500... Also with 65.5" WMS I can't turn for shit with 36" tires...

I would recommend replacing the u-joints and seals and bearings. They are really cheap and you'll regret it later if you don't and the thing is leaking and bearings are burnt up.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #2304
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J88logue View Post
I'm not worried about the money aspect when linking - fabrication labor is free and i get materials at cost.

The build will just take some extra steps/tweeking but i will make it work.

But perhaps you're thinking it's being built to take up shit like this...it's def not.

You're gonna SAS your 1st Gen, and you're NOT gonna take it up Mini Rubicon?!?! Pussy

Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #2305
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future

Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Matt (bro'ed Coma) runs those shocks and seams to like them they are new to the states but have a good flowing over seas.
Yeah his build is verrrry nice. I watched the videos he made of his suspension at KOH. I called up Mike at ProFender and bought the last ones he had in stock and already received them. I'm sure I'll like em.

Got all the IFS cut out today. This is going to be a very quick build. I'll post some pics when there's something worth posting.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #2306
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
It would be unwise to waste money on links when you can just run leaf springs if you aren't using it for anything but mud... Leaf/shocks are like $500... Also with 65.5" WMS I can't turn for shit with 36" tires...

I would recommend replacing the u-joints and seals and bearings. They are really cheap and you'll regret it later if you don't and the thing is leaking and bearings are burnt up.
Thanks man!!

Pretty stoked - I just found some more numbers on the log tube and turns out one was the BOM number. The axle is from an 81-85 wagoneer and given is has no vacuum shitdisturber I'd say it's an 81 dana 44. Now I know the specifics so I can start ordering shit
Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #2307
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
You're gonna SAS your 1st Gen, and you're NOT gonna take it up Mini Rubicon?!?! Pussy

Hahah I went down that on my dirtbike a few moths ago..... Fuck that non sense!!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #2308
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Eric, we'll have to see what that supercharger does for your truck next time we're at Badlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhD-...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #2309
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Eric, we'll have to see what that supercharger does for your truck next time we're at Badlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhD-...ature=youtu.be
I love it!

My favorite ledges in my truck are at 1:26 and 5:22!

There is also tons of footage of guys getting denied on stuff we do every time we head out to the badlands Guess its the home "court" advantage
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #2310
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's the wheelbase, 107-112 is not suited out there.. That video is sick, love it. Mark the guy that rolled over at 1:26 was the guy that had the profession photographer that week we went out and he brought us through that crazy ass water trail!!

And the SC won't do anything... I need to invest into link suspension, than I can drive as fast as I want over anything
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #2311
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
It's the wheelbase, 107-112 is not suited out there.. That video is sick, love it. Mark the guy that rolled over at 1:26 was the guy that had the profession photographer that week we went out and he brought us through that crazy ass water trail!!

And the SC won't do anything... I need to invest into link suspension, than I can drive as fast as I want over anything

links, but no bedsides?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #2312
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Someone found me a bed, now you HAVE NOTHING on me!!! MUAHAHA

Old 08-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #2314
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future

Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery

Rolled up some 37's. The rear will come up a little.

Plating frame and hanging axles tomorrow morning.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #2315
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #2316
NorthWest Member

Did some research on gears etc thinking I should go to 5:29 vs an older plan on 4:88s.

From what I've found you can't get 5:29 in the dana 44. But you can get 4:88 and 5:13.
And in my stock rear end I can get 4:88 and 5:29s..

Wtf... Lol. Anyone know different?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #2317
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did some research on gears etc thinking I should go to 5:29 vs an older plan on 4:88s.

From what I've found you can't get 5:29 in the dana 44. But you can get 4:88 and 5:13.
And in my stock rear end I can get 4:88 and 5:29s..

Wtf... Lol. Anyone know different?
5.29's out back, 5.38's in front.

4runner is going to be sweet, downpour!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #2318
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
5.29's out back, 5.38's in front.

4runner is going to be sweet, downpour!
How would that wear on my transfer case??

I mean that's 1.7% difference.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #2319
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How would that wear on my transfer case??

I mean that's 1.7% difference.
Its common to do it that way. You don't engage 4x4 when you are on dry pavement anyways, so the tires "slip" to take up the difference.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #2320
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Its common to do it that way. You don't engage 4x4 when you are on dry pavement anyways, so the tires "slip" to take up the difference.
I Suppose that makes sense - hmmmm

Products Discussed in this Thread