Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #2301
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to tie it in to the main hoop for the tube bed and engine cage, my only concern is the movement of the body vs the frame/chassis/cage. I've heard some suggestions of leaving enough room for this movement between the cage (internal or exo) and the cab. But some (like Matt) tie it in to the cab itself.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #2302
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably so it's similar to having solid body mounts. I can't imagine there is much flex.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #2303
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Just build a internal cage most exo cages are fugly anyway and everyone with exo's just beats the shit out of their truck and they look like hamburger after one run. Just look at Eric's truck . Internal cage and don't drive like a dip shit is what i would do. It's all about the occupants in the truck anyway.
Are trucks turn to raisins bc of the trails we wheel. We wheel with tube buggies and truggies since they can keep up lol. And the trails are totally diffenet in the midwest...trees treess and more trees. We can have a technical woods trail that rivals backdoor with almost no rocks. We build them to use them and dents and scratches are just part of the midwest.

No offense but if there is a truck out here that looks as clean any of u cali guys its bc its not wheeled...at all.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #2304
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Are trucks turn to raisins bc of the trails we wheel. We wheel with tube buggies and truggies since they can keep up lol. And the trails are totally diffenet in the midwest...trees treess and more trees. We can have a technical woods trail that rivals backdoor with almost no rocks. We build them to use them and dents and scratches are just part of the midwest.

No offense but if there is a truck out here that looks as clean any of u cali guys its bc its not wheeled...at all.
True ive seen the sloppy shit you guys wheel over there.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #2305
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I need a beer. Or whiskey. And I'm all out of both. Fuck.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #2306
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-screen-shot-2013-08-01-5.48.09-pm.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #2307
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
if I didn't have to keep my truck clean with links I'd actively search for tons and link my truck.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #2308
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
How long did you have to wait for those?

btw - Jerry, I ended up going with some profender 2.0 resi's (2) 12's and (2) 14's. We'll see how they work for me.

Anyway guys, I'll jump in this thread even though I'm in a 3rd gen 4runner. Starting my swap Monday. hp d44 5.13's, arb air locker, reid knuckles, etc. The rear is a ford 9" 5.13's and arb air locker, trussed. 3link/3link.. Yup.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #2309
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by downpour11 View Post
How long did you have to wait for those?

btw - Jerry, I ended up going with some profender 2.0 resi's (2) 12's and (2) 14's. We'll see how they work for me.

Anyway guys, I'll jump in this thread even though I'm in a 3rd gen 4runner. Starting my swap Monday. hp d44 5.13's, arb air locker, reid knuckles, etc. The rear is a ford 9" 5.13's and arb air locker, trussed. 3link/3link.. Yup.
Waited 2 months or so. Estimated time was 9-12 weeks so they were delivered ahead of schedule.

3rd gen 4runners are awesome! If they didn't weigh so much, I would have built one. Any pics or a build thread yet?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #2310
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
The only bad thing is yes the 3rd gen 4runners do weigh alot... That D44 won't hold up... 35"s... sure.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #2311
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Waited 2 months or so. Estimated time was 9-12 weeks so they were delivered ahead of schedule.

3rd gen 4runners are awesome! If they didn't weigh so much, I would have built one. Any pics or a build thread yet?
Ah gotcha. Yeah I talked to Jerry and then called ORI.. they said their CNC machines are down so it's a 10 week+ lead time. Lame.

I'm starting the build on monday @ 9am. It's myself, a friend of mine, and the brain behind the link geometry and fabrication (Mike at MP'S Customs in Chico, he builds broncos for a living). We're shooting for 4 weeks since the axles and steering are already done and the link geometry is figured out and almost all the bracketry is fabbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
The only bad thing is yes the 3rd gen 4runners do weigh alot... That D44 won't hold up... 35"s... sure.
Well, it's going to hold up better than my IFS ever did. I'll see how it does with the 44 and if it can't hang, I'll put tons under it. I bought these axles completely built from a friend of mine for a deal I couldn't pass up. He's in the middle of his 3rd gen build and decided to switch to tons (he's running 39.5's). Myself and others told him from the get-go to go with tons and now he finally changed his mind lol. The gears and air lockers are brand spankin new, the reid knuckles are new, new bearings and seals as well. I'm extremely excited to ditch this IFS.

Here's some pics for fun of my friend Andrew's 1st gen on 40's. 22re, Dana 60 front and rear, 5.13's, duals, flat belly, on leafs. He had a little frame-crackage so we welded it up and reinforced it. He bought a new driveshaft today so we were trying to get some measurements of how much he has to cut... so we were screwing around next to the shop.

He beats the hell out of this truck, it's a blast:

[/URL]
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #2312
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Look what i picked up

IT's a friend through a friend for $200 - He was gonna use it for his Nissan. He specified pulling out from a Grand Wagoneer.... It's Driver drop and i measured the Wheel Mounting Surface at 60.5" appx...

There's a couple numbers in the case i could read:
3 31 43-13

Seems to be in great order - very little rust anywhere. I plan on putting the new rotors/calipers on this week since i already have them.

Now i need to find out what i need to do, besides gears to make this thing ready.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #2313
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by downpour11 View Post
Matt (bro'ed Coma) runs those shocks and seams to like them they are new to the states but have a good flowing over seas.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #2314
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J88logue View Post
Look what i picked up

IT's a friend through a friend for $200 - He was gonna use it for his Nissan. He specified pulling out from a Grand Wagoneer.... It's Driver drop and i measured the Wheel Mounting Surface at 60.5" appx...

3 31 43-13

Seems to be in great order - very little rust anywhere. I plan on putting the new rotors/calipers on this week since i already have them.

Now i need to find out what i need to do, besides gears to make this thing ready.
So are you going for small? at 60.5 WMS to WMS your going to have a hard time tires in there.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #2315
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
So are you going for small? at 60.5 WMS to WMS your going to have a hard time tires in there.
Well my wheels have 4.5 backspacing with a -13 offset - so they're pushed out pretty damn far. And i don't plan to stuff it by any means
and my rear is only 60 wms if im right

By no means do i plan to keep it small
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #2316
NorthWest Member

Oh and yes the axle is upside down
Old 08-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #2317
sick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant future

sick 3.4 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Look what i picked up

3 31 43-13

im thinking about starting this process as well
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #2318
NorthWest Member

I wasn't able to find the BOM numbers on the case.

I looked on this site and tried to compare the numbers i did find.

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx
Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #2319
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well my wheels have 4.5 backspacing with a -13 offset - so they're pushed out pretty damn far. And i don't plan to stuff it by any means
and my rear is only 60 wms if im right

By no means do i plan to keep it small
So your cousin is going to turn your truck into a big gay mud truck?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #2320
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
So your cousin is going to turn your truck into a big gay mud truck?
lol ^^ This kid -

nah i decided not to go with 53s...

But i'm keeping my stock bumper and running 37s, so however high it needs to be, so im guessing frame height of 27-28.

Products Discussed in this Thread