Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #241
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
It would be a nice truck, but it has the 3.0 pile of junk. Otherwise yeah. 3link is the way to go in the front
one nice thing about the 3.0 is its 5spd tranny will bolt up to a 3.4
Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #242
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question. In my pursuit to keep my 88 p/u strictly toyota I am still striking out on a 84/85 front axle so I want to know if it would be so bad if I went Dana 44 up front and had the huge difference in track width from front to rear.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #243
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog777 View Post
Quick question. In my pursuit to keep my 88 p/u strictly toyota I am still striking out on a 84/85 front axle so I want to know if it would be so bad if I went Dana 44 up front and had the huge difference in track width from front to rear.
Look harder, lol. There are toy axles all over the place. Look on pirate, there are lots for sale for cheap!

Dana 44 would be fine, but I like all Toyota rigs...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #244
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Look harder, lol. There are toy axles all over the place. Look on pirate, there are lots for sale for cheap!

Dana 44 would be fine, but I like all Toyota rigs...
I might just have to break down and not buy local(ish). It really would kill me to have non toyota equipment be used on that truck. Unless of course it's something built from scratch.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #245
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why 84-85 specifically, an 80-83 axle will do just fine aswell, just truss the top, and weld on the knuckle gussets.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel114 View Post
Why 84-85 specifically, an 80-83 axle will do just fine aswell, just truss the top, and weld on the knuckle gussets.
My goal was to minimize the amount of small extra work much like you described. Good new though last Sunday I finally scored a front axle off an 85. Downside is that I had to buy the rear to get it, but I'll just sell that and move on. My question now is that the Trail Gear kit's wheel spacers are not hub centric, but they are lug centric. Am I running any risk with them not being hub centric? Also, does anyone have any experience with the TG kits as far as what back spacing to run for wheels?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #247
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My goal was to minimize the amount of small extra work much like you described. Good new though last Sunday I finally scored a front axle off an 85. Downside is that I had to buy the rear to get it, but I'll just sell that and move on. My question now is that the Trail Gear kit's wheel spacers are not hub centric, but they are lug centric. Am I running any risk with them not being hub centric? Also, does anyone have any experience with the TG kits as far as what back spacing to run for wheels?
Lug centric doesnt matter as long as you torque the lugs evenly and go incrementally to your final value. This ensures that they are properly centered by the lugnuts If you just torqued them down one at a time it allows the spacer to "shift" and be centered by only that lugnut, and since it is tight, doesnt allow it to center when the other lugnuts are installed, thus the vibrations people bitch about are really improper installation.

I have been running spacers for years with no problems whatsoever. Install them properly and you will be fine.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Lug centric doesnt matter as long as you torque the lugs evenly and go incrementally to your final value. This ensures that they are properly centered by the lugnuts If you just torqued them down one at a time it allows the spacer to "shift" and be centered by only that lugnut, and since it is tight, doesnt allow it to center when the other lugnuts are installed, thus the vibrations people bitch about are really improper installation.

I have been running spacers for years with no problems whatsoever. Install them properly and you will be fine.
Too easy. Well at this point it is all just a matter of saving for the front/rear kits, gears, and all that noise.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #249
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I has a Dana axle on teh front of me rig
Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #250
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I has a Dana axle on teh front of me rig
A Dana 30
Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #251
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
A Dana 30
FU DB! Y com u no know if I are gonna put D44 swap on it???

Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #252
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
FU DB! Y com u no know if I are gonna put D44 swap on it???

Just because you plan on a 40 doesn't mean you currently have one lol. Best stay with the 29" stock tires and not upgrading to anything bigger until you have a 40 under da bitch
Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #253
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just because you plan on a 40 doesn't mean you currently have one lol. Best stay with the 29" stock tires and not upgrading to anything bigger until you have a 40 under da bitch
Plans:
- 3" Liftar
- 31x10.50x15 Tyres

All on teh D30 up front. Mine has the Chrysler 8.25 in the rear as opposed to the D35....
Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #254
Power Top

Quote:
Plans:
- 3" Liftar
- 31x10.50x15 Tyres

All on teh D30 up front. Mine has the Chrysler 8.25 in the rear as opposed to the D35....
Don't forget to upgrade your AAA to platinum for the extra tow milage
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #255
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
wtf is a tyres
Tyres

Quote:
Don't forget to upgrade your AAA to platinum for the extra tow milage
I got rid of mine....called em up after the taco went bye bye.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #256
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
I have a d44

havent been here for a while, wassup bitches!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #257

Anyone figure out how to grow a money tree yet? I swallowed some change in hopes to shit money but that didn't turn out the way I hoped. I am desperate to get this project under way.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #258
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone figure out how to grow a money tree yet? I swallowed some change in hopes to shit money but that didn't turn out the way I hoped. I am desperate to get this project under way.

No

Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #259
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered lift and tires for my rig
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #260
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
31's? lol

Products Discussed in this Thread