Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #2682
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Yeah, my welding quality is steadily improving.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #2683
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
ya that doesnt look bad at all what kind of machine are you using?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #2684
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Hobart 210MVP. Still need to wire up the garage to handle the 230v though.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #2685
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Finished the truss. Welded inside and out, boxed, all 3/16" plus the 1/4" Ruffstuff 4-link bracket. Open area was to accommodate shock mounting, I was leaving it blank for now until I order up the ORIs.

Sorry for my lack of "knowing"

But what's the purpose of doing this? i saw that JLee also did this to his rear axle, makes it look massive and bionic and ass weight...so whats the deal?

Found this: Kinda explains it

http://www.artecindustries.com/Dana-...uss_p_227.html
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #2686

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
For me it's just to mount the shocks and upper links. Don't really want to/can't weld to the housing. Not easily anyway.

crawl box arrived today.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #2687
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J88logue View Post
Sorry for my lack of "knowing"

But what's the purpose of doing this? i saw that JLee also did this to his rear axle, makes it look massive and bionic and ass weight...so whats the deal?

Found this: Kinda explains it

http://www.artecindustries.com/Dana-...uss_p_227.html
An Axle truss is to reinforce the axle tubes so they don't bend from heavy wheeling or jumping the truck. It spreads the load across the whole length of the truss and not having the load at the center section of the axle. Axle tubes can bend if beat on hard enough. It also makes mounting brackets a lot easier. Also the reason mine is so massive is to add unsprung weight to the truck bringing my center of gravity down making the truck more stable on off camber obstacles.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #2688
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell you axle trusees did not stop our axle housing from bending in tge race truck, but we hit rocks at stupid speeds lol

Ditching our currie front for a ruffstuff more than likely
Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #2689
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
I can tell you axle trusees did not stop our axle housing from bending in tge race truck, but we hit rocks at stupid speeds lol

Yup. In order to not bend a housing, the truss needs to extend all the way to where the flanges are (where the brakes/hubs bolt on).
Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #2690
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
An Axle truss is to reinforce the axle tubes so they don't bend from heavy wheeling or jumping the truck. It spreads the load across the whole length of the truss and not having the load at the center section of the axle. Axle tubes can bend if beat on hard enough. It also makes mounting brackets a lot easier. Also the reason mine is so massive is to add unsprung weight to the truck bringing my center of gravity down making the truck more stable on off camber obstacles.
Makes sense -
I thought you had just watched Transformers too many times
Old 09-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #2691
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post

since when do you have a race truck? you win the lottery and not tell anyone?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #2692
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Another purpose is to keep the tubes on the 14 bolt from spinning and destroying the housing.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #2693
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthyota View Post
since when do you have a race truck? you win the lottery and not tell anyone?
I am part of a team therefore, I can say " our"
Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #2694

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #2695
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Still less clearance than a shaved 60

Looks good.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #2696
It's about to get real!!!
rctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: konstantenos
rctoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
looks good. i think im gonna wheel my 14B the way it is see how much of a pain it is then shave it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Still less clearance than a shaved 60

Looks good.
yet a shaved 60 is still and will always be weaker/ more expensive..
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #2699
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoy View Post
yet a shaved 60 is still and will always be weaker/ more expensive..
Its like a KP vs. BJ argument....

If its strong enough to do the job that's all that matters.

And my 60 was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than a 14B
Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #2700
the habs fan

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
LOL KP vs BJ,

honestly i think the guys what wheel daily or race monthly know what they need...... i personally hate unit bearings and balljoints after this last weekend

Products Discussed in this Thread