Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #2981
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
Also maybe fix that rear shackle angle a bit.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #2983
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure that thing has longfields and you'll be fine with a spool in the rear it just tends to squat and squawk the tires around turns.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #2984
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
No I didn't. I cranked it down pretty good, didn't seem to help. Using a mallet didn't really help either. Threw a lock washer on, cranked it down and called it good.

I ended up running the TG arm (cheaper and didn't feel like I needed to have a shorter one)
I have the same box and arm and mine looks just like that. It just wouldn't go any higher.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #2985
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No I didn't. I cranked it down pretty good, didn't seem to help. Using a mallet didn't really help either. Threw a lock washer on, cranked it down and called it good.

I ended up running the TG arm (cheaper and didn't feel like I needed to have a shorter one)
Pitman arms and the sector shaft are tapered slightly to retain a tight fit. If it were straight splines, it would never stay tight.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #2986
Master Blaster
smkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
smkd13's Tacoma Gallery
Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctoy View Post
Played video games all weekend and didnt spend a fucking dime.. lame as it sounds it puts me one weekend closer to my sas..
And now you know my money saving secret lol but mine is saving for welding school so I can get a job so I can afford to SAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J88logue View Post
Ballz i forgot to add you, you gonna be online tonight?
FIRED!!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #2987
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I have the same box and arm and mine looks just like that. It just wouldn't go any higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Pitman arms and the sector shaft are tapered slightly to retain a tight fit. If it were straight splines, it would never stay tight.
Thanks, good to know. Should I still torque it down, or will the lock washer suffice?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #2988
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks, good to know. Should I still torque it down, or will the lock washer suffice?
Definitely torque it to whatever spec is. The lock washer will keep the nut from wanting to back off (obviously).
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #2989
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkd13 View Post
And now you know my money saving secret lol but mine is saving for welding school so I can get a job so I can afford to SAS.

FIRED!!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #2990
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
x2 on this. It looks fine. It's not supposed to hug the sector shaft.

Quote:
This ^^^

Quote:
I didn't torque mine down, just get it nice and tight and recheck it after a few hundred miles. Make sure you're lock washer is in there! You should have a few threads out the bottom of the castle nut
Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #2992
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Need some opinions. Y'all think that 2x3 1/8th wall square tubing will be strong enough for sliders. Will have 4 legs and be approx 80" long on an xtra cab Tacoma.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #2993
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Need some opinions. Y'all think that 2x3 1/8th wall square tubing will be strong enough for sliders. Will have 4 legs and be approx 80" long on an xtra cab Tacoma.
Should be okay I suppose. I'd at least beef it up where the legs will mount since square tubing doesn't have consistent strength like round tube.

FWIW, I'm using 2" x 3" x .188" wall for the rebuilt sections of frame and the link crossmember.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #2994
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Should be okay I suppose. I'd at least beef it up where the legs will mount since square tubing doesn't have consistent strength like round tube.

FWIW, I'm using 2" x 3" x .188" wall for the rebuilt sections of frame and the link crossmember.
If I were to do it again I would use 2x4 .188 on my rear frame. The 2x3 has a little flex without a bed cage.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #2995
It's about to get real!!!
rctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedrctoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: konstantenos
rctoy's Tacoma Gallery
since im not moding my frame to much im just gonna plate it with 1/4 on the bottom and oustide.. of the rail from the front bumper all the way back to the foward rear spring hanger..
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #2996

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I figured I'd just use tube for the entire rear.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #2997

45acp's Tacoma Gallery

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #2998
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Traded my ORI's for a pair of new 14" Fox coilovers with springs and 4" Fox air bumps with cans
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #2999
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Traded my ORI's for a pair of new 14" Fox coilovers with springs and 4" Fox air bumps with cans
IMO I think that was a wise move. I am still not sold on the ORI's. Maybe a few more years of actual real world testing my change my mind, but for now they are too new of technology for me.

In reality, I hope I am forced to change my opinion.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #3000
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
IMO I think that was a wise move. I am still not sold on the ORI's. Maybe a few more years of actual real world testing my change my mind, but for now they are too new of technology for me.

In reality, I hope I am forced to change my opinion.
Agree. I would really hate to lose a seal on the trail and have to drive home fully compressed on one side, then remove the shock to have it sent back for repairs. I think coilovers will take more time to tune but at least I won't be left dead in the water somewhere. Technology is cool but you can't beat tried and true coilover suspension.

Products Discussed in this Thread