Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #41
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Regular cab 2nd gen .
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #42
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Truely a nice set up would be links, but they are not needed. The 2nd gen is heavier and pretty much requires a D60 or a built to the hilt 44, which isn't even as strong as a STOCK d60. But people run it.

IMO this is the most IDEAL SAS 2nd gen in history.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160394
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #43
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thread took off like a bat outa hell, now it died
Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #44
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry. I'll spam it again
Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #45
What do you mean I can't go up there...Watch this!
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
Probably still a ways down the road but I've got a planning question.

Our IFS sucks for crawling and therefore do not want to spend/waste anymore money on my current suspension. Are there any suspension upgrades that I could do now that will not be a total waste down the road when switching to SAS?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #46
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Oh that's the other thing too. Most on this site dunno much about SFA suspension. Can't wait till I get my SFA rig
Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #47
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Oh that's the other thing too. Most on this site dunno much about SFA suspension. Can't wait till I get my SFA rig
The commercials to your new rig our deafening I'm thinking 40 inch tire or more???
Old 02-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyd182 View Post
Probably still a ways down the road but I've got a planning question.

Our IFS sucks for crawling and therefore do not want to spend/waste anymore money on my current suspension. Are there any suspension upgrades that I could do now that will not be a total waste down the road when switching to SAS?
IFS doesn't necessarily suck, but it's limited by its amount of travel and reliability.

SAS is truely inteded for hardcore offroaders. I went offroading 15+ times last year and I feel this year I will be going about the same, maybe more. I've already gone twice

The only thing that won't really be a waste is long travel, it will kinda be a waste, but you can turn around and sell it. IMO, the best set-up would be just a mid travel kit, 35s, selectable lockers and you will do just fine. I've seen it, and been surprised by it. Skids and lockers man

Quote:

Yeah I mainly intended it for people that want to ask questions, so the small group can help out. I guarentee many people have questions, but are affraid to ask, especially on TTora or Pirate
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #49
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The commercials to your new rig our deafening I'm thinking 40 inch tire or more???
Nope. It's gotta be DD for the next few months. Then once I move and I only have to drive any distance two days a week, I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
IFS doesn't necessarily suck, but it's limited by its amount of travel and reliability.

SAS is truely inteded for hardcore offroaders. I went offroading 15+ times last year and I feel this year I will be going about the same, maybe more. I've already gone twice

The only thing that won't really be a waste is long travel, it will kinda be a waste, but you can turn around and sell it. IMO, the best set-up would be just a mid travel kit, 35s, selectable lockers and you will do just fine. I've seen it, and been surprised by it. Skids and lockers man

Yeah I mainly intended it for people that want to ask questions, so the small group can help out. I guarentee many people have questions, but are affraid to ask, especially on TTora or Pirate
Ah good idea. Totally wasn't thinking that. While I'm not the worlds biggest expert on how to perform a SAS, I would like to think i have PLENTY of knowledge. Well I know I have more than most on here. I'm part of the select group
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #50
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Exactly! Few guys already are having questions that I haven't seen ask before
Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #51
Alexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
Heres my sas'd rig. built by me!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #52

Quote:

Well that gives me some hope. I'm in the process of bolting every piece of armor I could find to it right now but just went a head with a Toytec ULK. Wishing now I went extended travel c/o's

That being said. My truck may end up being a trail rig only at some point so the financial analyst in me can't help but make lists

UCA - 600
Extended c/o's - 1000
Arb front locker - $1200 with compressor

That's some good coin to shell out on a sub par trail rig setup is it not?

I'm currently planning on a marlin taco box because that will work with any setup I decide to go with. I hate spending money and time on something I may end up moving away from.

Couple of additional questions
1. I'm not one who has a ton of patience nor the mechanical skills to do the SAS myself, so what are the opinions of buying a ready built kit vs collecting used parts over years?
2. How selective do you need to be when picking a shop to do the install?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #53
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well that gives me some hope. I'm in the process of bolting every piece of armor I could find to it right now but just went a head with a Toytec ULK. Wishing now I went extended travel c/o's

That being said. My truck may end up being a trail rig only at some point so the financial analyst in me can't help but make lists

UCA - 600
Extended c/o's - 1000
Arb front locker - $1200 with compressor

That's some good coin to shell out on a sub par trail rig setup is it not?

I'm currently planning on a marlin taco box because that will work with any setup I decide to go with. I hate spending money and time on something I may end up moving away from.

Couple of additional questions
1. I'm not one who has a ton of patience nor the mechanical skills to do the SAS myself, so what are the opinions of buying a ready built kit vs collecting used parts over years?
2. How selective do you need to be when picking a shop to do the install?
Good coin to shell out, yes, but lockers are gonna be ideal for when you have a SFA suspension setup anyways. Most people go the cheaper route (nothing wrong with it either, just a different setup) by doing leaf springs up front. Kits make things easy, but it's not necessary. You can in fact doing things cheaper by say going to a junk yard and pulling a Dana 44 from an old Jeep Wagoner and re-building it as opposed to going through a company for it. There's loads of components and yes, you really do need to be somewhat particular and careful with your choice in who does the work. Ask Eric, his shop who originally did the SAS was terrible. they dragged their asses and had him overnight loads of parts last minute, adding up the bill. Yeah, they got the job done, but from what I understand, he wasn't too happy with how it played out. If you were in AZ, I have a few custom fabricators here I know and would highly recommend for the job. It's not going to be cheap, but if they do a shoddy job, it could end up costing you more. So consider that when you get quotes. When doing a SAS, you're creating a custom vehicle. Parts will need to be fabricated.

So short answers -

1. You'll probably pay a bit more for a kit, but it may be a tad bit easier than searching for parts. Just know a kit won't contain 100% everything ready to go. You'll still need other components.
2. Be very particular. See their work first.

Also, before doing it, make sure you have a DD before you do a SAS on the truck.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #54
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Good coin to shell out, yes, but lockers are gonna be ideal for when you have a SFA suspension setup anyways. Most people go the cheaper route (nothing wrong with it either, just a different setup) by doing leaf springs up front. Kits make things easy, but it's not necessary. You can in fact doing things cheaper by say going to a junk yard and pulling a Dana 44 from an old Jeep Wagoner and re-building it as opposed to going through a company for it. There's loads of components and yes, you really do need to be somewhat particular and careful with your choice in who does the work. Ask Eric, his shop who originally did the SAS was terrible. they dragged their asses and had him overnight loads of parts last minute, adding up the bill. Yeah, they got the job done, but from what I understand, he wasn't too happy with how it played out. If you were in AZ, I have a few custom fabricators here I know and would highly recommend for the job. It's not going to be cheap, but if they do a shoddy job, it could end up costing you more. So consider that when you get quotes. When doing a SAS, you're creating a custom vehicle. Parts will need to be fabricated.

So short answers -

1. You'll probably pay a bit more for a kit, but it may be a tad bit easier than searching for parts. Just know a kit won't contain 100% everything ready to go. You'll still need other components.

Also, before doing it, make sure you have a DD before you do a SAS on the truck.
Yup.. I wasn't happy with the shops work at all.

You don't NEED a ARB locker, but they are going to be more friendly. Order a lockrite and try it, it's better than nothing and you can always sell it for a decent amount. If you find yourself breaking shit, sell it and run the same courses and if you break again, it wasn't the lockers fault it was the skinny pedal

I see you have he ULK from toytec, wheel it, extended travel is ONE more inch of travel, meh.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #55
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexb03 View Post
Heres my sas'd rig. built by me!

What year?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #56

Quote:

So short answers -

Your response pretty much echo's why my head hurts. Seems like this type of mod is only for the part time mechanical guru which I am not. I've been learning a lot, but I'm just not there yet which is why I'm thinking of putting the tacobox in with twin sticks and a auto locker up front and calling it a day until I'm more confident that I would be able to maintain the SFA myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but twin sticks with an auto locker almost makes it selectable right?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #57
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Your response pretty much echo's why my head hurts. Seems like this type of mod is only for the part time mechanical guru which I am not. I've been learning a lot, but I'm just not there yet which is why I'm thinking of putting the tacobox in with twin sticks and a auto locker up front and calling it a day until I'm more confident that I would be able to maintain the SFA myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but twin sticks with an auto locker almost makes it selectable right?
Twin sticks is a double transfer case, making your gear ratio ultra low, increasing ATON of torque, and can essential help you or break you, all depends on your control
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Twin sticks is a double transfer case, making your gear ratio ultra low, increasing ATON of torque, and can essential help you or break you, all depends on your control
Gotta love the lifetime warranty CV's.

I run pretty conservative at this point. I've raced sport bikes and mustangs. But now I'm all about the slooooooooooooow.

Oh and staying out of hospitals....I'm tired of injury recovery.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #59
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup.. I wasn't happy with the shops work at all.

You don't NEED a ARB locker, but they are going to be more friendly. Order a lockrite and try it, it's better than nothing and you can always sell it for a decent amount. If you find yourself breaking shit, sell it and run the same courses and if you break again, it wasn't the lockers fault it was the skinny pedal

I see you have he ULK from toytec, wheel it, extended travel is ONE more inch of travel, meh.
Correct on the locker bit. I missed that. I will be putting lockrites in the new rig. You do not need a selectable locker. Yes, it's nice and it'll wear less, but it's not necessary. We've run lockrites in the Ranger and had good luck. Also know, that it will make noise on and off the road. The rig will make loads of new noises from creaking to the lockers and it'll drive like a completely different rig.

Quote:

Quote:
Bingo ^
Old 02-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #60
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotta love the lifetime warranty CV's.

I run pretty conservative at this point. I've raced sport bikes and mustangs. But now I'm all about the slooooooooooooow.

Oh and staying out of hospitals....I'm tired of injury recovery.
You'll have to be lifted a fair amount as well to do this. You'll have no sway bar, and yeah. Shit gets expensive and scary, but in a fun way

Lockers make a world of difference btw.

Products Discussed in this Thread