1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by Supra TT, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    Sorry I know im late to the party on that one, but I think that was hilarious hahahaha

2. Oct 6, 2012 at 4:29 AM
    dtmccray

dtmccray Well-Known Member

Member:
    millbrook alabama
    Vehicle:
    01 money pit
    d60 3link sas, bumpers, sliders, arb twin on board air comp w/11gal air tank,38.5/14.5r15 tsl sx swampers, rock 8 beadlocks, detroit rear, trutrac front.
    I don't know about where you are but in Alabama there is no law prohibiting beadlocks. Nothing is illegal untill a law is made making it illegal. I talked to I the dot they told me that I can run beadlocks on the street.

3. Oct 6, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    theyre illegal on the street everywhere IIRC

4. Oct 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT [OP] Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Super swampers because they are very well priced, they perform amazing and have been around for ever. Each SS tire does great in every different application you put it through. Why not go with something that works? :cool:

They are safe, just like most shit. Just hard to balance sometimes. Lots of people run them on the street. I've never had anything come loose yet after a year with them, though I don't do highway speeds.

5. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    Ive always saw them as kind of a mall crawler tire... Do they preform as good as or better than crawler tires like the maxxis creepy crawlers?

6. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    No most are not DOT approved, this does not make them illegal to use on the street as laws and DOT approval are two separate things. DOT approved just means the DOT said they are ok it doesn't mean that something that is not DOT approved is not ok.

7. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Maxxis CC's are expensive and hard to come by... Very few people run them and when they do run them, they are stickies. The SS's will perform better on certain terrain, but when it comes to rocks the CC's will win... Though it depends on which kind of rock... So many factors come to play. They are definitely not mall crawler tires haha

8. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    thegame

thegame Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Folsom, CA
    Not illegal.

Mis-informed.

How is a cop going to be able to distinguish between real beadlocks and fake beadlocks? And what's stopping you from buying a set of steel wheels and welding beadlocks on them? The wheels still have a DOT stamp on them.

There has been a reward from Rockstomper for anyone can find in the rule book that beadlocks are against the law. Ready, set, GO.

9. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    I know for a fact they are illegal where i live. And its not about a cop being able to tell the difference. If something were to happen (like the rings flying off) on the highway, then they cop would know and where i live you would be ticketed.

10. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
  11. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
  12. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    It makes sense that they are not as safe as street wheels (Murphy's Law, more parts/complexity equals a greater chance for something to go wrong). But in all reality, basically loctite and torque the bolts and you should be good to go?

The link posted above brings me to another question. #3 of the last section says anytime modifications are made to a vehicle they should be brought to the attention of the insurance company to make sure coverage remains in full effect.

Didn't really think about this before. Is it really that necessary? Can they approve/disapprove of modifications? I have USAA and they've been great so far, they also will cover damage while offroading. I haven't mentioned any of my modifications yet, I figured as long as you're street legal, you're good to go. Should one be worried about being dropped or have the rates go up due to certain modifications? Especially ones like SAS, bed bob, bumpers, etc.

13. Oct 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Did you read the whole thing? What i got out of it was that they are illegal, but most cops cant tell the difference between fake and real locks and or they dont even know if its illegal to run real ones on the street. :notsure: maybe i miss read it

14. Oct 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    I think it can be summarized in #2 and #3 (and #4) of the 2nd section.

15. Oct 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    So if the wheels are not DOT approved, they are illegal. But beadlocks are not DOT approved, yet they are legal?

16. Oct 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    front ifs diff is leaking fluid from the same seal i replaced two months ago. WTF. just indicates sas is that much more important :(

17. Oct 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    No DOT makes recommendations. That has nothing to do with legal or illegal. Something that is not DOT approved is legal or illegal outside of their recommendation or lack there of.

A state can choose to write a law which uses DOT standards for pieces of equipment but that is not always the case. If you are concerned about whether a piece of equipment is legal or illegal you need to look to your state vehicle code NOT DOT.

So if for instance a piece of equipment is not DOT approved, your state vehicle code can still allow it and the inverse is true as well. A piece of equipment can be DOT approved but illegal per state law.

As a side note, there ARE DOT approved beadlocks if a DOT approval is of any concern to you.

18. Oct 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    True. DOT only makes recomendations. But what if its illegal to use non DOT approved products?

Edit: you said that. So nevermind.
    So, im still unsure. Are beadlocks illegal or not?

19. Oct 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    You need to check your state vehicle code. I have not found a state which does not have all applicable laws easily found online.

I would venture a guess most states have nothing at all listed prohibiting beadlocks.

Go to google type in your state and vehicle code and you will get your laws, go to the section listing equipment and peruse through and see if there is anything illegal.

Regardless of if they are legal or illegal in your state, unless you are doing something to attract attention to yourself, law enforcement could care less about your rims. If you want beadlocks, buy em, if you want DOT approval get DOT approved beadlocks.

20. Oct 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    thegame

thegame Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Folsom, CA
    I'll say it again, no. I say this because if it was KNOWN by anyone in any state, the information would have spread like wildfire in the offroad community. You're going off a myth that's been around for decades. If you can find in the vehicle code that they are illegal, go collect your prize money from Rockstomper.

No one knows what state you live in either so how are we supposed to know your vehicle code?

To Top