Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #61
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking into putting lockers on my rig as well. Maybe not a front but for sure in the back. I really don't think I need to spend the $$ on a ARB but from what I hear the lockrights are good. How different will my rig drive if I do this??
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #62
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
It's not a SAS but I have a SFA rig
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #63
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey badger View Post
I've been looking into putting lockers on my rig as well. Maybe not a front but for sure in the back. I really don't think I need to spend the $$ on a ARB but from what I hear the lockrights are good. How different will my rig drive if I do this??
Offroad it'll be a huge difference. On road, you'll hear it. Your truck won't be quiet. You'll hear it clicking on corners and such. It's not unbearably loud, but it'll make noise. Overall, I think a lockrite is smarter over an ARB in some cases. Like being a daily budget driver.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #64
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
It's not a SAS but I have a SFA rig
STFU! I will too
Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #65
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
STFU! I will too
Are you still getting that one thing you talked about that one time at that one place?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #66
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Offroad it'll be a huge difference. On road, you'll hear it. Your truck won't be quiet. You'll hear it clicking on corners and such. It's not unbearably loud, but it'll make noise. Overall, I think a lockrite is smarter over an ARB in some cases. Like being a daily budget driver.
Yup, you'll love it offroad, and it's not so bad onroad, just don't use 4wd onroad, duh
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #67
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you still getting that one thing you talked about that one time at that one place?
Yes. That is the plan. Only you guys know and a couple locals. No one publicly on here knows though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Yup, you'll love it offroad, and it's not so bad onroad, just don't use 4wd onroad, duh
Well duh. hahaha
Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #68

Quote:
Yes. That is the plan. Only you guys know and a couple locals. No one publicly on here knows though
That's why I was speakin' in code.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #69
Honey Badger takes what it wants
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You'll have to be lifted a fair amount as well to do this. You'll have no sway bar, and yeah. Shit gets expensive and scary, but in a fun way

Lockers make a world of difference btw.
We've got a few great places to go around here and think this hobby/money dump will be around for a while

2.5 inch lift, Sway bar removed, cut out flares, pinch weld mod, 33x12.5's maxed out. I think I'm stuck at this lift height for the time being.

I'm e locked in the back and there is no substitue. I hear the dual case is even more impressive.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #70

Someone buy me some Dynatrac 60s for the Stundra!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #71
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's why I was speakin' in code.
Oh I know Cheers for that. Apparently a lot of people on here thought I outright bought the Ranger from my cousin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyd182 View Post
We've got a few great places to go around here and think this hobby/money dump will be around for a while

2.5 inch lift, Sway bar removed, cut out flares, pinch weld mod, 33x12.5's maxed out. I think I'm stuck at this lift height for the time being.

I'm e locked in the back and there is no substitue. I hear the dual case is even more impressive.
Keep it as is for now if you wanna really do a SFA conversion.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyd182 View Post
I'm e locked in the back and there is no substitue.
Swap the shitty e-locker for an 8.4 with ARB.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #73

Quote:
Oh I know Cheers for that. Apparently a lot of people on here thought I outright bought the Ranger from my cousin.
That would be awesome.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #74
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I can deal with the noise my truck sqeaks and stuff already not a big deal for me. Yea it is and will be my DD for a while but want a more capable truck off road.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #75
Honey Badger takes what it wants
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Swap the shitty e-locker for an 8.4 with ARB.
That's a pretty aggressive statement. Please explain.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #76
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That would be awesome.
Hell yeah!

If the new one became a trail rig, I can see it getting a Ford 8.8 in the rear and a new d44 up front.

But as is, it'll be good enough to DD and wheel.

Quote:
I can deal with the noise my truck sqeaks and stuff already not a big deal for me. Yea it is and will be my DD for a while but want a more capable truck off road.
Yeah then go this route. I'd check out some others. IIRC, the 2nd gens aren't too fond of the lockrites. IIRC. But go that general direction over an ARB, I'd say. There's options.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #77

Quote:
Yeah then go this route. I'd check out some others. IIRC, the 2nd gens aren't too fond of the lockrites. IIRC. But go that general direction over an ARB, I'd say. There's options.
Oh yea there are tons of other options out there......... it's just a matter of what to do and then there is the whole regear part too. I would love to SAS my truck but I don't get to off road that much so it would be pointless but so sick if I could.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #78
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh yea there are tons of other options out there......... it's just a matter of what to do and then there is the whole regear part too. I would love to SAS my truck but I don't get to off road that much so it would be pointless but so sick if I could.
Regear is definitely a smart thing, even if you don't wheel. If you're gonna run larger than stocker tires. It puts strain on more components than people realize. Ideally, do your gears when you do your locker. Already there. It'd save you time and some coin.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #79
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Correct on the locker bit. I missed that. I will be putting lockrites in the new rig. You do not need a selectable locker. Yes, it's nice and it'll wear less, but it's not necessary. We've run lockrites in the Ranger and had good luck. Also know, that it will make noise on and off the road. The rig will make loads of new noises from creaking to the lockers and it'll drive like a completely different rig.

Bingo ^
Detroit Lockers FTW!

i just now saw this topic

i haven't got myself caught up in this topic yet so i don't know exactly what you plan with the lockrights are and on what vehicle..all i know is, i know several peeps who have had carnage with lockrights..it's the pin that always breaks. the guy i bought my crawler from had lockrights before he installed the detroits. he claimed that on the second time out after he did the front axle swap he broke a lockrite in the rear and upgraded to the detroits that are still in it now. it was on 35's at the time.

now my crawler is on 39.5" krawlers, twin sticked with 4.70 in the rear case, and has a 3.4L swap in it. i have snapped a transfer case output shaft and twisted a rear axle shaft..but no problems with the Detroits

Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #80
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Detroit Lockers FTW!

i just now saw this topic

i haven't got myself caught up in this topic yet so i don't know exactly what you plan with the lockrights are and on what vehicle..all i know is, i know several peeps who have had carnage with lockrights..it's the pin that always breaks. the guy i bought my crawler from had lockrights before he installed the detroits. he claimed that on the second time out after he did the front axle swap he broke a lockrite in the rear and upgraded to the detroits that are still in it now. it was on 35's at the time.

now my crawler is on 39.5" krawlers, twin sticked with 4.70 in the rear case, and has a 3.4L swap in it. i have snapped a transfer case output shaft and twisted a rear axle shaft..but no problems with the Detroits

We've ran lockrites in the Ranger's Dana 44 and Ford 8.8. Both have had good luck. We also ran one on the stock rear axle in the ranger for a while as well ~40k miles of light wheeling on the IFS and that axle. I'll be keeping my options open, but been leaning towards lockrites. Detroits are good too obviously. My new rig, I've been keeping secret, btu it'll have SFA suspension. I don't want to say which axles, because I don't want to give it away

Products Discussed in this Thread