Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
They're the same.
Ah. I don't know much about the second gens, only the 1st gens
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #82
What do you mean I can't go up there...Watch this!
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think you're taking what I said the wrong way. I wasn't yelling or telling you to "go f'in search". I was giving you some information. You said there was no substitute for the e-locker. I was recommending a swap for a better (read stronger) setup. It's a common swap and can be done rather cheaply when compared to swapping in a Ford 9", D44, D60, etc.
Then what we have here sir is miscommunication. I was responding to lockers are great. And that I share in that notion as I too have a locker. Not making a statement that e-lockers are the best of the best.

I'll run my e-locker till it snaps and it sounds like switching to an 8.4 would be an option.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #83
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyd182 View Post
Then what we have here sir is miscommunication. I was responding to lockers are great. And that I share in that notion as I too have a locker. Not making a statement that e-lockers are the best of the best.

I'll run my e-locker till it snaps and it sounds like switching to an 8.4 would be an option.

Yeah I don't see many people having problems with 1st gen axles, many members run 37s or bigger with no problems. 2nd gen axles isn't a real axle IMO. Shit's weak.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #85
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They're the same axle.
Since forever + a day. Even considered swapping my taco's third member out into my 88 p/u's.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #86
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
This question probably doesn't apply here but whatever haha

I'm upgrading to 35"s soon. I'm moving to WI for awhile and gonna play the wait and see game if I get stopped for tires that stick out past the fenders. If I do, I was looking at doing bushwackers for the rear which seem to be perfect for 12.50 wide tires.

I'm running 1" spacers up front. Can't decide if I should go with bushwackers up front (probably gonna stick out slightly) or go with some 4.5" Glassworks fenders. I'm kinda leaning towards Glassworks since I want to upgrade to SAS eventually and it would be easier to trim for bigger tires and still give some decent coverage.

Opinions?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #87
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
This question probably doesn't apply here but whatever haha

I'm upgrading to 35"s soon. I'm moving to WI for awhile and gonna play the wait and see game if I get stopped for tires that stick out past the fenders. If I do, I was looking at doing bushwackers for the rear which seem to be perfect for 12.50 wide tires.

I'm running 1" spacers up front. Can't decide if I should go with bushwackers up front (probably gonna stick out slightly) or go with some 4.5" Glassworks fenders. I'm kinda leaning towards Glassworks since I want to upgrade to SAS eventually and it would be easier to trim for bigger tires and still give some decent coverage.

Opinions?
Fiberglass flares are nice, but here's the difference. When you bang them up on the trail, they simply just break. They're made of fiberglass. LT guys run them because they don't see much rock time, if any at all. If going for looks, do bushwaker. If you're seriously going to build a trail rig, run just stock fenders trimmed, no fender flares. My two cents.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #88
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Looks weren't really the concern, more getting a ticket based on what I read from liftlaws.com

I had seen a few rigs with fiberglass fenders that seem to take a beating pretty good (Kaistie's rig on TTORA/Pirate first comes to mind) so I figured it might be an option.

Guess I could always go with bushwackers and pull the fenders a little and just remove them when it comes time to SAS?

Kinda unrelated but I shake my head every time I see this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swp8MCWAsow
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #89
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Ah. Yeah in AZ, there isn't much to worry about. Mudflaps, and that's about it.

Nice vid. Yeah, I mean there's people that run them. I guess I should say, I don't know enough about them to say, "Yes! Run them."

This guy has them:

Oh and for you yota linked droolers. Nothing says I'm linked, like painting them neon green

For giggles, look at his license plate frame
Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #90
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and in the last pic, his rear driver side shock hit the link.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #91

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking that was the case, but I hoping between some trimming and 'working' the flares a little, I could pull them a little wider.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #92
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
The problem with the bushwhacker flares is they don't offer any more clearance for larger tires, just wider tires. So if you go 35s on a 3" lift, bushwhackers do poo for ya. If you want to retain the stock fenders I'd recommend just cutting the fenders.
Exactly. Trim the stock fenders.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #93
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
They're the same axle.
Yes, but made with shit material. Also why put the same axle under something that is 2k #s heavier. That's all I was referring to.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #94
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Yes, but made with shit material. Also why put the same axle under something that is 2k #s heavier. That's all I was referring to.
I agree, doesnt make sense.

I blowed my 1st gen e-locker rear end up Hopefully it doesnt happen again, but the warranty from ECGS should take care of it if it does. I dont understand why they gonna put that same axle under a heavier truck? Just dont make sense.

Also, if I was going to go through all the trouble to swap in an 8.4 rear end, why not just put a land cruiser axle in the back? Or something even stronger?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #95
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Landcruisers have an offset diff in back, no?
Not sure, this guy has one.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134121
Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #96
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Landcruisers have an offset diff in back, no?
Yes they do, passenger side offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Landcruisers have a 9.5" ring gear, much larger than the tacos. THe benefit to swapping to an 8.4 is it pretty much just bolts right in brake lines and all. If you are going through the work to put in a landcruiser axle, you might as well go the extra and throw in something stronger than that.
14bolt
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #97
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Boat anchor.
Nah, shaved and it's pretty much the best rear end for pretty much any truck..and front end too..

But, what would you recommend? Custom housing obviously would be ideal but a rockjock 60 would be best.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #98
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Gentleman I need your help. I am at a cross roads between doing leaf sprung or coil over sas. What is stopping me from coil over is still having the rear leaf sprung. What articulation issues do you forsee with coil front leaf rear?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #99
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Do leafs up front. It's cheaper....simpler.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #100
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Truely coils are pretty simple... But you gotta know math. Are you going to be DD'ing your truck? leafs are generally better for DD unless you perfect the link system.

And tons of people link the front leaving the back for leafs

Products Discussed in this Thread