LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #81
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyd182 View Post
That's a pretty aggressive statement. Please explain.
Go to other forums where people actually wheel their rigs and you'll see that those 8" e-locked axles just can't take the abuse of the 8.4

They eat through ring gears like no other.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #82
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Regear is definitely a smart thing, even if you don't wheel. If you're gonna run larger than stocker tires. It puts strain on more components than people realize. Ideally, do your gears when you do your locker. Already there. It'd save you time and some coin.
Yea I am running 33's....... well a 305/70/16 but will be going to a 285 so regear at the same time I do my lokcer or lockers is a must.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #83
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I had a LockRite in my Tacoma and it worked perfect. I loved it. It really made a difference offroad and didn't change the on-road manners too much. Hell, half the time I thought it was broken because I couldn't feel/hear it. The '84 I have now has Detroits. I haven't taken it out wheeling yet but I'm hoping they're as good as everyone says they are.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #84
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey badger View Post
Yea I am running 33's....... well a 305/70/16 but will be going to a 285 so regear at the same time I do my lokcer or lockers is a must.
Do em both at once for sure then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
I had a LockRite in my Tacoma and it worked perfect. I loved it. It really made a difference offroad and didn't change the on-road manners too much. Hell, half the time I thought it was broken because I couldn't feel/hear it. The '84 I have now has Detroits. I haven't taken it out wheeling yet but I'm hoping they're as good as everyone says they are.
The 84 the one that's sitting?

Or is it the new white one? Don't remember....

Keith went through a couple lockrites IIRC.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #85
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Well damn I have a lot more research to do on lockers now..... ok back to the BS n of the SAS and stuff.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #86
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Go to other forums where people actually wheel their rigs and you'll see that those 8" e-locked axles just can't take the abuse of the 8.4

x2gazillionbillion...

im on my 4th set now and i have got so good at swapping out 3rds i made a write up on how to remove and install a rear 3rd member http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...rd-member.html

but im one of the few that actually wheel the taco well and beyond...

just a small example...

Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #87

Quote:
The 84 the one that's sitting?

Or is it the new white one? Don't remember....

Keith went through a couple lockrites IIRC.
Nah the 84 is the white on. The 86 is the broked one.

I still think Keith just installed his wrong. But he still insists the 1st and 2nd gen 8.4s are different.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #88
Honey Badger takes what it wants
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So your suggestion is to spend a lot of cash to replaced a system that is currently fucntional?

There is always going to be a bigger bader setup. This thread was created to expand the knowledge of more sever off road setups. Not to yell and tell people to go f'in search.

Thanks for tip my friend. Very informative.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #89
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nah the 84 is the white on. The 86 is the broked one.

I still think Keith just installed his wrong. But he still insists the 1st and 2nd gen 8.4s are different.
Something to consider though for sure.

Quote:
So your suggestion is to spend a lot of cash to replaced a system that is currently fucntional?

There is always going to be a bigger bader setup. This thread was created to expand the knowledge of more sever off road setups. Not to yell and tell be go f'in search.

When you do an SAS, you can consider doing that or swapping in a different rear axle.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #90

Quote:
Something to consider though for sure.
They're the same.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #91
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They're the same.
Ah. I don't know much about the second gens, only the 1st gens
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #92

Quote:

There is always going to be a bigger bader setup. This thread was created to expand the knowledge of more sever off road setups. Not to yell and tell people to go f'in search.

I think you're taking what I said the wrong way. I wasn't yelling or telling you to "go f'in search". I was giving you some information. You said there was no substitute for the e-locker. I was recommending a swap for a better (read stronger) setup. It's a common swap and can be done rather cheaply when compared to swapping in a Ford 9", D44, D60, etc.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #93
Honey Badger takes what it wants
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think you're taking what I said the wrong way. I wasn't yelling or telling you to "go f'in search". I was giving you some information. You said there was no substitute for the e-locker. I was recommending a swap for a better (read stronger) setup. It's a common swap and can be done rather cheaply when compared to swapping in a Ford 9", D44, D60, etc.
Then what we have here sir is miscommunication. I was responding to lockers are great. And that I share in that notion as I too have a locker. Not making a statement that e-lockers are the best of the best.

I'll run my e-locker till it snaps and it sounds like switching to an 8.4 would be an option.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #94
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then what we have here sir is miscommunication. I was responding to lockers are great. And that I share in that notion as I too have a locker. Not making a statement that e-lockers are the best of the best.

I'll run my e-locker till it snaps and it sounds like switching to an 8.4 would be an option.

Yeah I don't see many people having problems with 1st gen axles, many members run 37s or bigger with no problems. 2nd gen axles isn't a real axle IMO. Shit's weak.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Yeah I don't see many people having problems with 1st gen axles, many members run 37s or bigger with no problems. 2nd gen axles isn't a real axle IMO. Shit's weak.
They're the same axle.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
first gen ftw
FTMFW!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #98
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They're the same axle.
Since forever + a day. Even considered swapping my taco's third member out into my 88 p/u's.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #99
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
This question probably doesn't apply here but whatever haha

I'm upgrading to 35"s soon. I'm moving to WI for awhile and gonna play the wait and see game if I get stopped for tires that stick out past the fenders. If I do, I was looking at doing bushwackers for the rear which seem to be perfect for 12.50 wide tires.

I'm running 1" spacers up front. Can't decide if I should go with bushwackers up front (probably gonna stick out slightly) or go with some 4.5" Glassworks fenders. I'm kinda leaning towards Glassworks since I want to upgrade to SAS eventually and it would be easier to trim for bigger tires and still give some decent coverage.

Opinions?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #100
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
This question probably doesn't apply here but whatever haha

I'm upgrading to 35"s soon. I'm moving to WI for awhile and gonna play the wait and see game if I get stopped for tires that stick out past the fenders. If I do, I was looking at doing bushwackers for the rear which seem to be perfect for 12.50 wide tires.

I'm running 1" spacers up front. Can't decide if I should go with bushwackers up front (probably gonna stick out slightly) or go with some 4.5" Glassworks fenders. I'm kinda leaning towards Glassworks since I want to upgrade to SAS eventually and it would be easier to trim for bigger tires and still give some decent coverage.

Opinions?
Fiberglass flares are nice, but here's the difference. When you bang them up on the trail, they simply just break. They're made of fiberglass. LT guys run them because they don't see much rock time, if any at all. If going for looks, do bushwaker. If you're seriously going to build a trail rig, run just stock fenders trimmed, no fender flares. My two cents.

Products Discussed in this Thread